Site Sponsors

Thread: cheap body to mate hasselblad cf lenses

Post Thanks / Like

cheap body to mate hasselblad cf lenses

I have a few CF lenses that has not been used for decades. For instance I have a Hasselblad Tele-Tessar 350/5.6 CF that I bought new in -87 something. This lens has ben used about 10 rolls of Velvia 120 in its whole life and not used for a very very long time.
    Could it be fun to buy the best adaptor available (whatever that is) and for instance mate it with a Sony Nex 7 ? Or would you suggest another body?

Or put it like this, with a few Hblad Cf lenses, a few Contax lenses both G and normal ones - what body would you buy to put these oldies at work?
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: cheap body to mate hasselblad cf lenses

The NEX bodies are tiny, and it would be very weird to have such large lenses on them. On the other hand, they have good sensors. The menu system is a bit counter-intuitive. The 5N might be the best bet right now, with the 7 being largely unavailable. In any case, it is not clear if the 24MP on an APS-C sensor doesn't kill the theoretical sharpness advantage, and ISO is worse at full res, and about the same downsized.

There is also the MFT system, but the sensor and cameras are even smaller. I don't think there is anything else interesting which would take Contax G lenses. Regular Contax lenses are probably better off on a 5DII. Some can be adapter to Nikons as well, and I am using a 50/1.7 and 80-200/4 on my D3.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I thought about the odd 'look' of the tiny Nex at the end of that Hasselblad bazooka. But image quality before looks
    If you think only the Hasselblad lenses, would you rather go with a Canon 7D or 5Dii?
    Actually, the cropfactor of a 7D (or nex7) would make the 350 become a 525 and that is really nice - IF it could render top notch image quality!
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, one concern that comes to mind re: using CF lenses on a NEX: if your focus ring is well dumped like those on my CFs are, you probably will have a hard time in trying and focussing the lens holding the tiny NEX body and trying to turn that focus ring...
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

Vieri, I think it is close to impossible My thinking is not to use the 350 handheld but rather have a sturdy lens-coupling to the tripod and take it from there....

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, that makes a lot of sense to me turn the whole camera to focus that thing!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You could use a Horseman TS-Pro to mate the lenses with a 35mm sensor DSLR body. You could also look into a Novaflex universal bellow to mate a 35mmDSLR to a Hasselblad lens. You would think an adapter to your Alpa would be easy...
    Last edited by Shashin; 28th December 2011 at 15:57.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

To really take advantage of these lenses you should use the largest sensor you can afford. A Mamiya 645 AFD with a 22 MP mamiya ZD back and a Hasselblad to mamiya adapter. You will have to shoot with manual stop down and manual focus.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FredBGG View Post
    To really take advantage of these lenses you should use the largest sensor you can afford. A Mamiya 645 AFD with a 22 MP mamiya ZD back and a Hasselblad to mamiya adapter. You will have to shoot with manual stop down and manual focus.
    See also:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug, any nice deals on Contax or Rolleiflex mount backs?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure I would mount Hasselblad lenses on any modern DSLR, to be honest. They might not live up to the demands. Both my 110/2 and 250/4 FE lenses are not the sharpest on my D3, and that is just a 12MP camera. Stopped down a bit they are okay, but these are not fast lenses on a DSLR, like they are on MF.
    Carsten - Website