The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Remember to post some lighting workshop photos in the MF section

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am waiting to get home to really process all of mine on my desktop which is by far my better system. Some quickies from this morning. I actually believe it or not did not shoot that much. I must be crazy. :D:D:D

Guy Mancuso

I will post more later , time for a nap and some rest than I can explain each shot and what it took to get there. I will say the more i use my new MF system I am falling just more deeply in love with it. The thing just never let's me down

Guy Mancuso

Also Carlos Piro a forum member here and a amazing video shooter donated his time to shoot a video of the workshop. He originally was going to stay for one morning and just shoot the lighting demo but was really taken by what we where doing wound up staying all three days. Jack and I would like to thank him so much for his generous time and effort on this project. The guy is a gem. Our members here are just the best folks I have run across. I just love this place

Guy Mancuso

I did not WB these yet but every set and every shooter shot calibration cards before each shoot. So when we all get home on our real systems you will see some nice stuff. Every image I took in the studio was tethered. Jack or I started every session and every set just to fine tune everything before folks shot. Shooting tethered is the absolute best way to run a Professional shoot.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I did not WB these yet but every set and every shooter shot calibration cards before each shoot. So when we all get home on our real systems you will see some nice stuff. Every image I took in the studio was tethered. Jack or I started every session and every set just to fine tune everything before folks shot. Shooting tethered is the absolute best way to run a Professional shoot.
Make no mistake: this is a fun event, but everyone is working really hard to make the most of their time and everyone is exhausted. Anything shot tethered while I was teching was WBed :). But that's probably only 20% of the total volume of shots taken. Anything shot to card right now will be off in WB because everyone is just sending up strait conversions in order to spend less time at the computer and more time with the attractive talent. Once everyone gets home and recuperates there will be a flood of adjusted/retouched images.

To participants: I hope you all are using Make Web Contact Sheet to create those JPGs. Just make the web contact sheet and then go to the subfolder called "Images" in the resulting folder. MUCH faster than processing the raws normally and very close quality.

Also to participants: Since we used only the top Profoto/Broncolor lights you should find that nearly every shot in studio is neutral at 5500-kel/0-tint. This is one of the advantages of high end lighting gear (color consistency). Some of the shots with white gelled background will be a bit different because of strongly colored light bouncing around the studio.

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Here is my contribution. From Day 1.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
One other quick note to participants about all the shots we took of the models strait into the sun. If the model was a bit underexposed by the strobes try using the shadow HDR function in Capture One to bring up the overall tones without compromising the delicate highlights of the sun behind (and without having to do masking in PS). Conversely you can use the exposure boost combined with the HDR-highlight controller, but this might adversely compress highlights in skin tone depending on the subject and your aesthetics.

Maybe in a few weeks we'll take some of the images into a thread for a collective idea-swap on Capture One processing.

Doug Peterson <--- loving life
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Guy Mancuso

Another same set on the money. If it looks bad than your monitor is off. 2 strip soft boxes from behind and either side , 4x6 soft box coming from the top and a huge beauty dish from front left with fill card. Lot of care on the balance of the rim not to over blow the scene but just enough highlight. Other than WB straight from the P25 plus back. Which one day I was shooting all three 25,30 and 45 plus backs on the same camera tethered and not even a glitch when switching around.

Guy Mancuso

If there is any change that would be made it would be to lower the saturation a touch. For fashion this would be normal

Guy Mancuso

Not sure I could do any better here. This young lady has about the most perfect skin tone. Also one of the attendees favorite models. I won't argue that, she is awesome. Lit by a huge softbox from above , 2 strip lights and a beauty dish. Again easy on the balance on the fill lights

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Great shots guys!

If anyone is still in town tomorrow, you should pop your best stuff on a CD, flash drive, CF card, etc. so I can print them up for you. We'll take care of boxing and shipping the prints back to your homes. Chris' are already on their way.

David

PS don't forget our last minute workshop specials in the store either. :D

etrigan63

Will you guys be at the Open House tomorrow (I mean besides Guy and Jack)? I am looking forward to meeting you all.

David, I want to pick up one of those Transcend 16GB 133x CF cards, if possible. I'm hoping that Lance and Doug will be there to give my new (to me) Mamiya 645AFD a once-over.