Site Sponsors

Thread: Another new MFD user over at Strobist

Post Thanks / Like

Another new MFD user over at Strobist

David Hobby over at Strobist just posted a blog entry explaining why he choose to move to MDF and plans to pass up the upgrade to a D4. You can see his reasoning at http://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/01...-nikon-d4.html.

It also prompted me to post the comparison photos I did right after I added the P65+ to my arsenal. I did a four way comparison using a Canon G10, a Canon 7D, a Canon 1DsMk3 and the P65+. For my purposes, I wanted to what happens when I photograph the same scene with each camera, and then size the file to make a 24 by 36 inch print at 360 PPI.

I'm sure people will complain about how I did the comparison, but I choose that approach because it was valid for what I wanted to see. Naturally, if you want to ask a different question, then you should use a different testing approach.

You can see my samples with roll-over images at http://www.craigstocksarts.com/medium_format. Naturally, there's a step up in image quality with each step up in camera, but each step up in camera is a roughly four-fold increase in cost.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another new MFD user over at Strobist

Hi,
    Thanks for posting these. I suspect many will comment on the method, but I would consider the lenses being used for this. You have a zoom lens with multiple elements in the 1Ds, and the 80mm LS for the P65+- (a very sharp lens indeed). Primes are always better at resolving, simply because there's less glass to go through.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit surprised by the 7D pictures, which are surpassed by the G10 and which basically look like mush. Being familiar with both cameras myself, I get clearly better results from the 7D with my shoddy 18-135 kit zoom, which I suppose is in the same league as the 18-55. However, I had to play around with the 7D's micro-adjustment setting to get the lens to perform optimally; maybe it would be worth taking the time to do this for your 18-55 too.

Post Thanks / Like

It was only a matter of time for David, IMHO..
    Just following natural progression of getting best out of gear.