Site Sponsors

Thread: Lightroom 4 and C1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom 4 and C1

Well after I tried the Beta for a few minutes one thing was clear. LR4 is a winner. I don't want to talk about everything, but especially the Higlight and Shadow recovery is by FAR the best I have seen.

Please Phase One, please upgrade C1 soon, because C1 still is the only program I can use for my IQ180 files, but compared to LR4 the recovery slideres in C1 just suck...

( http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/ )

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Lightroom 4 and C1

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Well after I tried the Beta for a few minutes one thing was clear. LR4 is a winner. I don't want to talk about everything, but especially the Higlight and Shadow recovery is by FAR the best I have seen.

Please Phase One, please upgrade C1 soon, because C1 still is the only program I can use for my IQ180 files, but compared to LR4 the recovery slideres in C1 just suck...

( http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/ )
    Notably Adobe historically has shown what's up their sleeves (via betas and conference previews) and Phase One historically has not.

I'm really looking forward to both Capture One 7 and LightRoom 4. We are really getting spoiled as photographers with software that is so far ahead of what we had even a few years ago.

I predict both will be great developments!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christopher:

what files did you try L4 on?

also gentle pp reminder

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As Doug says and I've been processing RAW files since ACR 2, this really is a great age for digital processing.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A good mix of files. I really like how the tools act.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...because C1 still is the only program I can use for my IQ180 files...
    Why? LCC? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets face it Adobe has a lot more resources to put into Lightroom than Phase One, Leica or Hasselblad. It was a smart move by Hasselblad to partner with Adobe for support of the H4D with Lightroom.

Historically speaking hardware companies write lousy software and rarely are able to compete in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Why? LCC? Just curious.
    Because I shoot 90% with a tech camera...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Love View Post
    Lets face it Adobe has a lot more resources to put into Lightroom than Phase One, Leica or Hasselblad. It was a smart move by Hasselblad to partner with Adobe for support of the H4D with Lightroom.

Historically speaking hardware companies write lousy software and rarely are able to compete in the long run.
    Leica are also partnered with Adobe and give a copy of Lightroom with the M9 and S2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Notably Adobe historically has shown what's up their sleeves (via betas and conference previews) and Phase One historically has not.
    It's more than just showing what's up their sleeves. People are already using the new features of LR4.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to convert to religion of C1. But keep drifting back to C1 for processing and LR for heavy lifting (and PS for cake-icing)

My only bottle neck is that C1 export of TIFF files creates monster files and converting back to DNG in LR can take hours for a large shoot.
    Would be nice if C1 could export DNG files that kept their 'C1 special sauce processing'

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Had a conversation with a friend today who suggested using CornerFix to perform LCC with my tech cam. Workflow we settled on was pretty much the same as the in field LCC workflow for C1, but the IIQ or TIFF files from the back would need to be exported as DNGs from LR for CornerFix processing and then re-added to the LR catalogue.

Can't recall if LR can read the IIQ or TIFF RAW files or not, but easily tested...

Anyone try this? Sounds like it may be a viable solution for those tech cam users who have grown up on CS/LR. Also avoids the huge C1 .tif file exports for further work in LR or CS.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 still is the only program I can use for my IQ180 files
    LR3 and 4 open my IQ160 files. Are the IQ180 files a different flavor of IIQ?

But, that leads me to the reason I was searching for a discussion about the C1 > LR > PS workflow that many folks here use. I do that too, but thought it was because of my unfamiliarity with C1 (after eight years of FlexColor and Phocus).

Does pulling the file through three different imaging processors enhance or degrade the file?

What are the tools, or other aspects of C1, LR3-4, and CS5 that keep them in your workflow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    No, just larger. The OP (Christopher) uses a tech cam and needs C1 for LCC processing.

Does pulling the file through three different imaging processors enhance or degrade the file?
    If by "the file" you mean the IIQ RAW file, LR (v3 or v4) creates an XMP "sidecar" file and doesn't degrade (or enhance) the original RAW file. Same for C1 which creates a settings folder and file. PS CS5 uses the RAW to create TIFFs, PSDs, JPEGs or some other variant using the settings you select. Again, no enhancement or degradation to the RAW file. But if by "the file" you are referring to a TIFF created by one or the other of the three programs, you can definitely smash some pixels going from one program to another. I always save a "master" TIFF with the minimum amount of processing applied (WB for example) before I go down that yellow brick road.

What are the tools, or other aspects of C1, LR3-4, and CS5 that keep them in your workflow?
    I use LR and CS5 almost exclusively. And more and more just LR. Unless I really need layers and (true) layer masks, or want to do some complex Content Aware Fill (or other Adobe magic), LR fills the bill. Even with IQ180 files. C1 is necessary if you're shooting with a tech cam and an IQ or other Phase One back, and I'm sure Doug Peterson will chime in with what "secret sauce" that can add to your post-processing.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1->use LCC and Shadow/Highlight/Clarity/Exposure to get histogram right
    -> Export to .tif (into session output folder)
    -> Import to LR3 to catalogue only .tif files
    -> Edit in CS5 through adjustment layers (never merge layers until ready to print = big files saved as .tif)
    -> import .tif file from CS5 with adjustment layers (usually same file name with "MASTER" inserted in filename when saving in CS5)
    No degredation as .tif files don't degrade... (pretty sure about that...)
    Bob

But, that leads me to the reason I was searching for a discussion about the C1 > LR > PS workflow that many folks here use. I do that too, but thought it was because of my unfamiliarity with C1 (after eight years of FlexColor and Phocus).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    No degredation as .tif files don't degrade... (pretty sure about that...)
    With a TIFF, if you change the color values of a pixel (or pixels) and "Save", you've permanently changed the file. "Degradation" is perhaps not the term to use, as in repeated JPEG compressions, but you can sure as shooting alter a TIFF in a bad way. Been there, done that. Using "Save as" and creating a new file is a safer way of post-processing, albeit storage intensive, especially with IQ160 and IQ180 files.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's why I use layers. I never alter the initial "background" layer; so you can always back up to it.

And of course you can always go back to the original IIQ file that has only been processed in C1...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    With a TIFF, if you change the color values of a pixel (or pixels) and "Save", you've permanently changed the file. "Degradation" is perhaps not the term to use, as in repeated JPEG compressions, but you can sure as shooting alter a TIFF in a bad way. Been there, done that. Using "Save as" and creating a new file is a safer way of post-processing, albeit storage intensive, especially with IQ160 and IQ180 files.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    That's why I use layers. I never alter the initial "background" layer; so you can always back up to it.

And of course you can always go back to the original IIQ file that has only been processed in C1...
    +1

A very safe workflow indeed.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

İ use a tech camera with İQ180.İ love to use the power of LR4 with my raw files but İ have to shoot the so called LCC shots which İ have to process in C1.
    İs there anyway that İ do the LCC correction with C1 and develope my raw file in LR4?
    Thank you ,
    Ziya

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ztacir View Post
    İ use a tech camera with İQ180.İ love to use the power of LR4 with my raw files but İ have to shoot the so called LCC shots which İ have to process in C1.
    İs there anyway that İ do the LCC correction with C1 and develope my raw file in LR4?
    Thank you ,
    Ziya

There is not. Lightroom and C1 have been very comparable in capability, though each offers some unique features they do better than the other. Right now, Lightroom is a full version ahead, however Capture One 7 will be released later this year. At that point, any preferential warm feelings toward Lightroom may change, once each program is competing on equivalent version levels.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    There is not. Lightroom and C1 have been very comparable in capability, though each offers some unique features they do better than the other. Right now, Lightroom is a full version ahead, however Capture One 7 will be released later this year. At that point, any preferential warm feelings toward Lightroom may change, once each program is competing on equivalent version levels.

Steve Hendrix
    I guess we'll see ... only if there is a decent and effective implementation of local adjustment tools.

currently when I need to use C1 for various reasons, I usually render out a decent tiff, with decent detail in both shadows and highlights (fairly flat) and then work with that tiff in LR to get the final result I want. Works pretty good.
    wayne
    My gallery