Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Macro with H3DII 31

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Macro with H3DII 31

    Hello !

    I'm using the 50-110 zoom lens with the 26 mm extension. Results are pretty good but they are not exactly what I want.

    Here is the best without cropping I can get (first photo) and what I want (second photo)

    The problem is the severe cropping and loss of quality at the end (from 31 MP to 3.5 at the end !)

    So my question : what is the best solution to have the result directly,if possible ? Is the 120 mm macro a solution, or less expensive, more extension tube ?

    Thanks for your help !

    Jerome
    Last edited by jerome; 1st September 2012 at 15:26.

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    Rent a 120 and see.

  3. #3
    Member RGoldman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    Hi Jerome. I have a Mamiya 645 with a P30+ back which should be quite comparable to what you are shooting. I put on the 120mm macro and got as close as it would focus to a subject and then put on the 55-110mm with all three Mamiya extension tubes on and it does get even closer than the 120mm macro. The only problem I see with the zoom and extension tubes is the working distance from the front of the lens is pretty close and could cause some lighting issues. The Mamiya tubes appear to be 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm.

    Ron

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    Quote Originally Posted by RGoldman View Post
    Hi Jerome. I have a Mamiya 645 with a P30+ back which should be quite comparable to what you are shooting. I put on the 120mm macro and got as close as it would focus to a subject and then put on the 55-110mm with all three Mamiya extension tubes on and it does get even closer than the 120mm macro. The only problem I see with the zoom and extension tubes is the working distance from the front of the lens is pretty close and could cause some lighting issues. The Mamiya tubes appear to be 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm.

    Ron
    Thanks Ron, it's very helpful. I've powerful flashes which helps me for the lighting and if I put off the lens hood, it's ok. But it's not far from being a problem, you're right. I've just one tube, maybe I should buy one more, it may help for not so much money.

    Maybe a 120 + extension tubes may be a solution to get even closer ?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Rent a 120 and see.
    Yes, if I go for the 120 it's a wise advice to check before to buy. I can buy first an additional extension ring which is not expensive anyway.

    120 + teleconverter 1.7 is also an option I'm thinking about ... for long telephoto ...

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    1.7X

    Used alone with the 120 Macro you keep the same lens to subject distance.

    Can be used with the extention tubes 13, 26 or 52 also ... any combo or all of them.

    1.7X cannot be used with the Zoom.

    http://www.hasselblad.com/media/6672/h17x_converter.pdf

    Scroll down to the magnification chart:

    http://www.hasselblad.com/media/5608...s_metricv5.pdf

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    Marc you beat me to the bunch. I used to use the 50-110 with the 3 extension rings all the time. I think they work very well together. I now have the 120mm HC macro and find that it is better optically than the zoom and extension tubes. As Marc states and depending on what you shoot I have used the macro and extension tubes to really get close.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    1.7X

    Used alone with the 120 Macro you keep the same lens to subject distance.

    Can be used with the extention tubes 13, 26 or 52 also ... any combo or all of them.

    1.7X cannot be used with the Zoom.

    http://www.hasselblad.com/media/6672/h17x_converter.pdf

    Scroll down to the magnification chart:

    http://www.hasselblad.com/media/5608...s_metricv5.pdf

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    1.7X

    Used alone with the 120 Macro you keep the same lens to subject distance.

    Can be used with the extention tubes 13, 26 or 52 also ... any combo or all of them.

    1.7X cannot be used with the Zoom.

    http://www.hasselblad.com/media/6672/h17x_converter.pdf

    Scroll down to the magnification chart:

    http://www.hasselblad.com/media/5608...s_metricv5.pdf
    The magnification chart is clear : adding another tube (the 52) will improve, but nothing can beat the 120 + tubes. And with 1.7, wow, the magnification is powerful.

    I have to make my choice now ...

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    The 1.7X is relatively expensive ... but the bonus is that you can use it with all the lenses except the 35 and zoom. It is optically excellent. With the 120 and 300mm lenses it is manual focus only.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    I second that. I use the 1.7x with the 100mm, 210mm and 300mm but to be honest in most cases i do not bring the 300 with me because it is too big.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Re: Macro with H3DII 31

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The 1.7X is relatively expensive ... but the bonus is that you can use it with all the lenses except the 35 and zoom. It is optically excellent. With the 120 and 300mm lenses it is manual focus only.
    I have bought the 120, and I'll buy the converter a bit later when I'll need it for landscape photography.

    I've a journey to Florida in October, I'll need it then.

    Anyway, thanks everybody for your helpful advices.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •