The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro with H3DII 31

jerome

Hello !

I'm using the 50-110 zoom lens with the 26 mm extension. Results are pretty good but they are not exactly what I want.

Here is the best without cropping I can get (first photo) and what I want (second photo)

The problem is the severe cropping and loss of quality at the end (from 31 MP to 3.5 at the end !)

So my question : what is the best solution to have the result directly,if possible ? Is the 120 mm macro a solution, or less expensive, more extension tube ?

Thanks for your help !

Jerome

Last edited:

RGoldman

Hi Jerome. I have a Mamiya 645 with a P30+ back which should be quite comparable to what you are shooting. I put on the 120mm macro and got as close as it would focus to a subject and then put on the 55-110mm with all three Mamiya extension tubes on and it does get even closer than the 120mm macro. The only problem I see with the zoom and extension tubes is the working distance from the front of the lens is pretty close and could cause some lighting issues. The Mamiya tubes appear to be 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm.

Ron

jerome

Hi Jerome. I have a Mamiya 645 with a P30+ back which should be quite comparable to what you are shooting. I put on the 120mm macro and got as close as it would focus to a subject and then put on the 55-110mm with all three Mamiya extension tubes on and it does get even closer than the 120mm macro. The only problem I see with the zoom and extension tubes is the working distance from the front of the lens is pretty close and could cause some lighting issues. The Mamiya tubes appear to be 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm.

Ron
Thanks Ron, it's very helpful. I've powerful flashes which helps me for the lighting and if I put off the lens hood, it's ok. But it's not far from being a problem, you're right. I've just one tube, maybe I should buy one more, it may help for not so much money.

Maybe a 120 + extension tubes may be a solution to get even closer ?

jerome

Rent a 120 and see.
Yes, if I go for the 120 it's a wise advice to check before to buy. I can buy first an additional extension ring which is not expensive anyway.

120 + teleconverter 1.7 is also an option I'm thinking about ... for long telephoto ...

mark1958

Marc you beat me to the bunch. I used to use the 50-110 with the 3 extension rings all the time. I think they work very well together. I now have the 120mm HC macro and find that it is better optically than the zoom and extension tubes. As Marc states and depending on what you shoot I have used the macro and extension tubes to really get close.

1.7X

Used alone with the 120 Macro you keep the same lens to subject distance.

Can be used with the extention tubes 13, 26 or 52 also ... any combo or all of them.

1.7X cannot be used with the Zoom.

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/6672/h17x_converter.pdf

Scroll down to the magnification chart:

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/5608/extension_tubes_metricv5.pdf

jerome

1.7X

Used alone with the 120 Macro you keep the same lens to subject distance.

Can be used with the extention tubes 13, 26 or 52 also ... any combo or all of them.

1.7X cannot be used with the Zoom.

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/6672/h17x_converter.pdf

Scroll down to the magnification chart:

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/5608/extension_tubes_metricv5.pdf
The magnification chart is clear : adding another tube (the 52) will improve, but nothing can beat the 120 + tubes. And with 1.7, wow, the magnification is powerful.

I have to make my choice now ...

fotografz

The 1.7X is relatively expensive ... but the bonus is that you can use it with all the lenses except the 35 and zoom. It is optically excellent. With the 120 and 300mm lenses it is manual focus only.

mark1958

I second that. I use the 1.7x with the 100mm, 210mm and 300mm but to be honest in most cases i do not bring the 300 with me because it is too big.

jerome

The 1.7X is relatively expensive ... but the bonus is that you can use it with all the lenses except the 35 and zoom. It is optically excellent. With the 120 and 300mm lenses it is manual focus only.
I have bought the 120, and I'll buy the converter a bit later when I'll need it for landscape photography.

I've a journey to Florida in October, I'll need it then.

Anyway, thanks everybody for your helpful advices.