Site Sponsors

Thread: Strange image

Paul66

Strange image

Have you seen this happen before? If so what causes it?
    Comes from a Mamiya 645DF / 33Dm 80mm LS lens 103 shot on brand new camera, happened on several shots

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Strange image

Is there a flash (lighting) involved?

Paul66

yep studio lighting most shots were either perfect or over exposed

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Flashes not synchronizing properly. Check all the contacts. If there is any wireless trigger involved, check if it functions (if it fails, perhaps it is time to find another one) properly.

Also the shutter speed has to be lower and be compatible with the output of the flash systems.

Paul66

Why would it only do it with a few, was synced with a new sync cable straight to the light

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If it is wired, then the cause could be the unreliable recycling/discharge nature of the flash(es).

Is it a new one or an old system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few years ago I had a Hasselblad CFV16 that occasionally created images exactly like the one you showed. The back had to take an extended vacation to Europe. Thankfully it was under warranty.

Greg

Paul66

Brand new, 103 shots is when it did it the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yeah, I'm suspecting a back issue. the line seems too sharp for it to be from the shutter curtain, and it looks exactly in the center where there is usually a seam of the sensors they stitch together. If it's new I'd recommend calling the dealer right away.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine was pretty new as well. If electronics fail, it is usually within a short time of manufacture.

Greg

Paul66

Yeah I agree most electronics I've had fail goes pretty fast

Post Thanks / Like

More likely than anything else, it's a CF card issue. The Leaf Aptus-II 12 does this incessantly if you're not using exclusively San Disk Extrme Pro CF cards. It seems entirely likely that other Leaf backs may have the same strange behavior.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Dont think its flash or card, sorry.
    To me it looks like CCD didnt initialize properly or overshot (slow down! come on! It takes 4s for a bullet to kill a man.. you can shoot at least 4 frames during this time , dont need any more). When this happen - power back down, and power up .
    Should be gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul,

Please contact your dealer or MAC and have them look into it. No disrespect to anyone here but there are better and more straightforward ways to handle this case than via a web forum

Thanks

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

take a look at:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...417#post368417

My body was replaced. Something about sync between camera and back and dark frame capture. Since the DF replacement, is has not happened again.

Talk to your dealer. From what I understand, LEAF has done quite a bit of testing with this issue and should be able to address it quickly for you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    take a look at:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...417#post368417

My body was replaced. Something about sync between camera and back and dark frame capture. Since the DF replacement, is has not happened again.

Talk to your dealer. From what I understand, LEAF has done quite a bit of testing with this issue and should be able to address it quickly for you.
    Thanks for that link.

The post above yours completely makes sense now.

Paul66

Ok the camera and Back is not mine, a friend of mine bought and where else other than the web should was ask about this stuff?????

We weren't shooting fast, so there goes that answer lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry Yair, but I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to find a simple fix by coming here for some intelligent answers. In this case, it sounds like he will indeed be sending it in for repair, but the above exchanges make that more clear to him.

Greg

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Wayne, this seems to be a DB issue, and definitely not a flash sync issue. Depending on the DB, that lens (LS)will "flash synch" at all speeds up to 1/1600th. Usually, a flash synch has a shutter swipe that's obvious, but not magenta in color.

These forums are the perfect place to discuss DB/DF issues.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 12th January 2012 at 19:15.

Paul66

I had no issues out of the same lights and sync cord with mine, I have the 645Rf/28DM, I don't want to get on anyones bad side, just didn't want to send it in if it were something simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Sorry Yair, but I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to find a simple fix by coming here for some intelligent answers. In this case, it sounds like he will indeed be sending it in for repair, but the above exchanges make that more clear to him.

Greg
    Greg please note that I specifically said "this case" in my post above after looking at the image; If there was a quick fix I would have provided it.

The normal procedure is that you call your dealer, they ask you about 6 questions and to send them a RAW file, guide you to try 2-3 things and if it doesn't get solved over the phone they will ask you to send the back/ camera in.

Paul was asking for advice and as someone who has been working for Leaf for 12 years on the technical side I think I have enough "authority" to provide the advice I gave him...
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Edited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair,

Your advice was correct, and I have no quarrel with that. My disagreement with you was that you seemed to imply that the matter should have gone directly to the retailer of the camera. While I also agree with that, I feel the OP was simply looking for a quick fix from some pretty knowledgable folks here who may have experienced the same problem. If you read my original response to him, you will see I "implied" that it was an equipment problem that should be referred to either the manufacturer or his local rep. If you had left off the second sentence in your response, it would have been perfect.

In this "instant society" (aka internet society) we are all a little impatient, so I can associate with his need for a speedy remedy. I also know it is difficult to glean a tone of the response only by the written word. Sorry to have offended you.

Greg

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The OP's comment and others, is actually quite common on these forums, and many photographers here have learned lots of tricks and techniques to make their shooting experience more enjoyable, and in some cases, more profitable. Perhaps it's the multitude of complaints and reliability issues with MFD that has us looking too our peers for insight, other than the all to familiar "sales pitch" from a dealer. Some are obviously taking this more personal than others.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 13th January 2012 at 17:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed. Thanks for your intelligent insight.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post

Greg
    agreed, lots of experience here with backs and I believe it was already recommended he contact his dealer before Yair's comment... I think rather than demeaning the quality of posters here at getDPI(which is very high) Yair might have considered being a little more polite and just reaffirm calling a dealer right away was advisable - which the OP had already concluded before the comment.

I assume the OP came here just to make sure it wasn't "user error" and narrow down the possible causes (such as the camera body)... we've all seen something strange and with new equipment sometimes a person just wants to make sure they haven't missed some little thing.
    wayne
    My gallery