The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645 DF battery eater

faneuil

does your P1 DF camera occasionally just 'eat' a set of batteries.
was a common issue with AFD series, but my DF occasionally does it too
Li AA batteries last months, but suddenly are consumed.
just curious. Yes, I prob left the camera on, but it autos-off after a set amount of time.

that battery pack in the grip (BTW) is scary junky plastic.. :)
wish there was an upgrade to a rechargeable grip pack. would be nice to carry a backup too.

eric

vieri

Hello Eric,

yes it does - for some reason, even when it's powered off it keeps using power. My solution was to take one of the 6 AAs out of the battery holder when not in use, takes one sec to do and saves you a lot of bucks in AAs.

John Black

When using the grip, the Phase One LiON BP-911 type battery loses ~5% of its charge per day if the camera is just sitting. With the camera in the off position, pressing button will result in a tiny "bzzzzt" sound from the lens, so the camera really isn't "off". It's just some sort of reduced power mode. It's pretty sad that Mamiya (and now Phase) have not been able to get this resolved since the AFDII... Though, I will say that the DF does much better than the AFDII. My AFDII's could zap a fresh set of charged AA's in one night.

I have the V-Grip, but don't use it. It is pretty poor build-quality given its price point. When it's attached, there is no way to use an L bracket, so it is just a fancy firmware upgrader for me. If I used Profoto strobes, I might be more enthusiastic about the V-Grip.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
Have to say I agree about the V-Grip. The most poorly fitted piece I have seen in all my years of buying camera gear. Phase should absolutely be ashamed and seek out every buyer with an apology and a replacement.
Their US rep, Kevin, is incapable of admitting how piss poor this thing is for over a grand. I lost all respect for him after our last conversation. He is a salesman, but he won't admit to the issues that are real problems for Phase.

kdphotography

The EJJI battery is great. IMHO, it resolves most, if not all, the quirks on this camera body, including some involving the MFDB. I would not use rechargeable AAs. Use only Energizer Lithium AAs or the EJJI or Phase rechargeable battery insert.

Just a note: The EJJI charger is NOT compatible with the Phase One version of this rechargeable battery pack, though they appear to be identical!! Not sure why Phase felt compelled to make the minor change here, but it means you need to stick with either the EJJI version or the Phase version. The battery pack does fit snuggly, and it is air in the compartment that makes it snug and harder to slide in----but at the same time, once secured it seals it from the elements.

faneuil

DONE! and bought from CI.
yes -- rechargeable AAs are not working out for me.
the Lithium disposables are great -- until you leave the camera on accidentally and burn through a set. gets quite pricey

cheers
eric