Site Sponsors

Thread: New to MF

tjtphotography

New to MF

Hi. I am new to MF. I don't own any MF gear. Yet.

My motivation for looking into moving to MF is the extended dynamic range available. So...I have been reading and learning a lot. To cut to the chase, I have been trying to find out what a Phase One P25+ for Mamiya/Phase One 645 might cost and I have not found much information other than they appear to be scarce/in high demand.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I should be looking for price and availability?

Thanks!

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New to MF

All three dealers are great to deal with and friends of GetDPI. Your in good hands with any one of them and suggest giving them a call Monday and check stock. The P25+ are getting scarce but the back alone would run in the 5800 to 7200 range. I loved mine when I shot it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ted look at the Mamiya 645DF / Leaf DM28. A lot more for your money.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The market is complex and there are many reasons for everything. But as an oversimplification...

The P25+ is not a current production back (it's no longer being manufactured). So the supply is limited to what's already out there.

Demand/Production wise:
    Historically (e.g. when the P25+ was being made) the balance of H, V, C, and M mounts were fairly even.
    Recently (since Mamiya and Phase One started working together) the balance has skewed far towards M-mounts

So there is a lot of demand (now) for P25+M units but a small number of P25+M units out there.

I'd have to agree with Lee Love - the DM28 includes (normally) a DF body and a Schneider 80mm LS lens for $11k. It would be warrantied, come with dealer support (very helpful especially for first time MF buyers), and represents IMO a much better entry level option.

The only exception would be if long exposures (>20ish seconds) were really important to your needs.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

tjtphotography

Thank you Guy, Lee and Doug. I have taken your advice to heart. I am contacting the dealers as well as looking at the DM backs.

Ted

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I shopped hard, and worked with a dealer, wound up with a P30+ rather than a P25+,

For me, it was critical to have a solid idea of what I wanted, an then the dealer pointed me in the right direction.

In hindsight, I was not thinking much about technical camera 2 years ago when I started my MF search, and the limits of the P30+ were not a big deal.

Now, I'm getting ready to go on a landscape workshop and I may really have to loose all hope!

Dave

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

working with a dealer

Dear forum ....

Just to be clear .... The decision that I make two years ago, in tandem with much good guidance from my authorized Phase on Dealer was the right one.

It was impossible for me to shoulder the cost/depreciation of a new generation back without micro lenses, and full frame, just because I might want to use a technical camera at some vague point in the future.

The P30+ is a great studio back for my style of fine art figure, and a pretty good location shooter relative to a Nikon DSLR, and that is well over 95% of my needs in the last two years.

My interests may or may not be shifting, and even if they do, I have a feeling that the "plain" old P30+ on my antique AFD-II will still smoke a D3X or 1DMKIV in the landscape world.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjtphotography View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions on where I should be looking for price and availability?

Thanks!

Ted
    Find a dealer, work with them. I wouldn't overlook Capture Integration just because they post on the forum. They are real standup guys, answer questions are helpful, etc., and I haven't yet bought from them.

There are other good ones out there too, depending on where you are.

Post Thanks / Like

I dealt with Capture Integration and they were great. They answered all my questions and got me my back very quickly. I went with the P40+ and I am dying to use is on the upcoming workshop.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

tjtphotography

All,

Thanks for the information and recommendations.

Ted