Site Sponsors

Thread: Walk Around Tech Camera Case

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Walk Around Tech Camera Case

Hi all,

I'd very much like to try some travel photography, most likely hand held or monopod, with an Alpa STC, 35XL and Phase back. The Alpa will have a finder on top and one-shot cable. I will also be carrying a 5dII around my neck and a 70-200 on my hip.

So a long way of asking what folks use/recommend to protect such a tech camera setup for walking around. Ideally the camera would be on a strap (already have that) under one arm, so what I'm looking for is a protective case that comes off easily, but provides good dust and, hopefully some shock protection. Perhaps an Optechs pouch? Can attach to a belt that I can pull it out of easily? Water proof? Makes great coffee?

Really appreciate any thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Walk Around Tech Camera Case

This may be bigger than you are looking for but one of the few bags I've used that is big enough to hold Alpa with a viewfinder attached is the Lowepro Slingshot 302AW. You might want to look at the smaller 202AW if you don't need storage for anything more than just the body/lens/back. You might want to take a look at also the Think Tank Retrospective series too.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 16th January 2012 at 09:32.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Graham.
    Bob

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's how I used the 302AW with a full STC outfit with 4 lenses etc. I tended to remove the back but it would fit with the back on too.

There was a thread on this here in August too: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29154
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have another alternate to the tech cam bag. The Think Tank Glass Taxi which i hope to get a little review on today. Yea it is for long glass in 35mm but works really nice with our tech cams since it is about 8 inches deep on the interior. I also use a TT retrospective 10 which is a very small bag but you need to stack two lenses but can only fit the Cambo lens and back on with like a short lens like a 35mm which makes it limiting reason I went the Glass Taxi is i can put in bag with back body and a long lens like a 60mm XL plus two or three more lenses. I'm liking this bag so far and will post some images later
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 302AW certainly can handle a LOT of gear!

I was thinking of just carrying around the STC with back, 35XL and finder attached; nothing else (other than perhaps a Color Checker and LCC plate).

I use the TT Street Walker Pro for hiking around; carries all my gear including the Max on the hip belt.

I'll take a look at the 202, the thread you mentioned and the Glass Taxi (looking forward to your review Guy!).

Thanks both,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob the Retrospective 10 or even the 5 would handle a STC, short lens and finder tell me that height i can measure mine for you in height
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use something like a Mountsmith Tour or Day Pack lumbar pack with a padded insert to get the camera out of the weather. When the camera is around my neck, I slip a GoreTex stuff sack over it using the draw string to hold it around the neck strap. When I need to take a picture, I simply remove the stuff sack which also the the default lens cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bob the Retrospective 10 or even the 5 would handle a STC, short lens and finder tell me that height i can measure mine for you in height
    Hi Guy,
    That's very nice of you. It's 9"H (I want to keep the finger grip at the top) x 6"W x 6"D.

I have the TT Steroid Belt, so I might look at the Skin and the Keep It Up strap. I'm definitely a hip belt person as my back is bad...

I currently use the Street Walker Pro. Perhaps I can use the Keep It Up, Skin with Steroids!

Best,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I use something like a Mountsmith Tour or Day Pack lumbar pack with a padded insert to get the camera out of the weather. When the camera is around my neck, I slip a GoreTex stuff sack over it using the draw string to hold it around the neck strap. When I need to take a picture, I simply remove the stuff sack which also the the default lens cap.
    Thank you. Good idea about the Gortex as lens cap/weather protector!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here folks just posted a mini mini review on Glass taxi and Retrospective 10 . Hope this helps.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33755