The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kodak file ch 11

yaya

The sensor division was sold to a private equity firm in October 2011, so there's still a chance for the M9...

kdphotography

Not off to a good start for Kodak branded paper/media which has been licensed to Brand Management Group. I was looking for icc profiles for my Epson 9900 for Kodak Universal Backlit and was directed here: http://www.brandmanagementgroup.com/support

All the folders are empty---no icc profiles to download.

**fingers-crossed: just received an email from Brand Management Group stating they were working on generating the profiles and posting them. No love lost for Kodak's (mismanagment woes) but would like to see companies that do pick up Kodak's products be responsive. My Kodak ML500 event printer (initial retail $25K), without media (no alternative supplier) becomes a flower planter later this year....thanks Kodak.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The sensor division was sold to a private equity firm in October 2011, so there's still a chance for the M9...
But for a M10 or S3 than they need to start looking at Dalsa or other alternates is my prediction. I hope Leica took a clue about this months ago and started the process of looking at there next sensors.

Mammy645

This is a filing for bankruptcy PROTECTION, not a ch.7 of liquidation. Kodak has already secured the funding to keep operations running throughout the restructuring.

FredBGG

Not Available
But for a M10 or S3 than they need to start looking at Dalsa or other alternates is my prediction. I hope Leica took a clue about this months ago and started the process of looking at there next sensors.
Actually as far as I know only two companies have products that go beyond the moire plagued bayer pattern. ( as well as Sigma ).

Fuji and Truesense Imaging, Inc (ex Kodak).

It's interesting that both are film companies.

Truesense Imaging, Inc is combining monochromatic sensor sites with color. Dynamic range and anti blooming is improved.
Fuji is using a different pattern that drastically reduces moire.

Truesense Imaging, Inc (kodak's sensors) is now owned by Platinum Equity that has 30 billion in annual revenue. Kodak's ex sensor division is in good hands and with deep pockets. Kodak retains special access to the new companies products.

Dalsa on the other hand is part of Teledyne. A group with more of a military focus.

Last edited:

Swissblad

Interesting point about both being film companies.

A Leica M9 with a Fuji sensor would be interesting - the X100 has stunning performance - now image that in FX

Christopher

Eh? You want them to have terrible pictures then?
First of all it's still the point that for a terrible picture the fault lies to 99% with the person behind it. Second, I don't see any reason for CCDs anymore. Just look at good photography from the d3x... Even if I don't own the camera, I have to admit that the pixel quality is amazing. Now the sensor is again already 3 years old. I am pretty sure that most companies understand that the future is CMOS OR a different technologie, but certainly not CCDs. I would even bet, that the next high end models in medium format won't be CCDs anymore.

Stefan Steib

This is what Henrik Hakansson (Phase One) said in an interview in German Profifoto 4/2010:

The technical possibilities of CCD have come to an end and we are aware that we need to switch to CMOS and search cooperation with other makers for this.........

I think this says it all......

Greetings from right now Wroclaw/Poland

Stefan

Ben Rubinstein

I've downloaded all the Fuji sample jpgs, had a good play with them. What I see is excellent colour and a nice curve in the files. But they're still that same sony chip we've seen elsewhere which has yet to impress me (the NEX7's chip was the first crop chip I've ever seen to have tonality which I liked for all that it's noisy). Infact I'd go so far to say that they should have left the AA filter on in this case, there is crunchyness to the files which I don't find that pleasing.

SergeiR

First of all it's still the point that for a terrible picture the fault lies to 99% with the person behind it. Second, I don't see any reason for CCDs anymore. Just look at good photography from the d3x...
And yet.. when it comes to color - CCD beats CMOS in my eyes at least. Just like it does with lower ISO. I have shot with D3x many times. Not impressed at all with it. Like D700 better :) And then i liked E-1 even better just like i do like CCD based MF.

Also quality control on CCD production is much much higher simply due technology used.

Sure - bayer sucks and you effectively have 1/3rd of colour pixels.. but hey. CMOS just as bad. And i had shot same glass with CCD and CMOS. So why my hands might be absolutely pear shaped - its same hands with same glass. And colour rendition on CCD was winner every time.

And while Foveon got some potential - its hard to judge it due lack of any decent lenses to uncover its potential. So i am passing on that too. And you don't want to know what i think of Fuji, while its got wider DR... :)

Then again - to each his own :)

So, while its sad that they filing for protection, i hope Kodak and their stuff will stick around. I like their papers and chemicals and some of films, which i use.

Plus my first portable digital camera was actually Kodak. Not that it forced me to switch from film back in days of 98, but it did make me think.

FredBGG

Not Available
Could you please point us to any particular image or area in an image that demonstrates high image quality?
For one look at the fibers on the black rope in the photo of the book and stones.
Look at the brighter spots on the rope. Absolutely no moire. When I get a chance I'll pull up a sample of shinny black fiber shot with a MF sensor and post it here...

Fuji X pro 1

The blacks are nice and color moire free.

Phase one digital back

Evident Moire.

Both ropes are black

Last edited: