The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseOne Photokina News So Far

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to agree and let me add. Service on this is my KEY factor. I am not kidding here. Been there and done that with 2 systems from leica and i simply can't afford not to have a replacement with 24 hours like almost all of us MF shooters can realize today through Phase, Hassy, Sinar and Leaf dealers. The way Leica is structured they cannot do that through retail stores

robmac

The Calumet interview is pretty to the point on the Phase relationship - software use and possible future distribution of whatever whenever. This is going to be a real test of the famous Danish reserve. Sigh.

gond1964

Phase One's 23Sept Press Release - ?Leica Lenses for Phase One System

Guys,

Just had a look at one of Phase One's 23 Sept press releases. The third bullet point on the first page has this paragraph.

"Extended lens range for Phase One 645 camera system.
Successful alliances with Leica Camera, Mamiya and Hartblei are yielding high-quality optics with a growing range of available lenses. Now includes Phase One Classic one year or Value Added 3-year warranty"

This seems to suggest lenses made by Leica. I'm wondering if these might be the european manufactured leaf shutter lenses yet to be announced.

Mark

robmac

The use of Leica-based optics for Mamiya may be what Leica is referring to re: distribution of future gear thru Phase and what was supposed to be 'exclusive' via Phase. Good news for Phamiya players if true.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting. I hope this stuff gets defined better as time goes on. i am interested but it needs to hit my key factors or service and repair

robmac

Was surfing over a sandwich and thought Phamiya owners might find this interesting- from poser at LL who is/was at show - so take it within that context:

"At Phase One someone said that there will be 5 Leica lenses for the Phase One camera in about half a year (for the Phase One, not for the Leica...)"

Flies in the face of the various 'official' comments from Leica re Phase relationship, but what hasn't so far.

The only issue I see is it could stave off some Phamiya buyers from moving to the S2 - at least quickly if they can get similar optics w/existing platform.

LJL

Rob,
I think that could be true, but the size, ergonomics and features of the S2 still seem to have the Phase One camera beat, if they actually can deliver. That keeps pressure on Phase/Mamiya to get cracking on an upgraded body already to provide snappier AF, faster frame speed, maybe better separation on AF points, etc. Technology updates could start outpacing the ability to even get some things to market in enough volume to offset R&D costs. While I would love to see improved features on many of the MF bodies and have the ability to use Leica optics if they can, I would hate seeing body turnover like we see in the DSLR/digicam world now.

LJ

Mammy645

Lance, I was just wondering, do you know if it will be possible to save the edits you've done in C1 when you export to DNG in the PRO version? I pretty much always use a combo of C1/ACR with my work and it's a shame if you have to export as TIF if you want to keep the useful DB/lens specific edits you can now do in C1.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A quick observation on the S2 lensmount shown earlier: While it has 4 bayonet lugs and the Mamiya 3, the electronic pin arrangement looks IDENTICAL to Mamiya... So it may mean a simple mount change and presto, you've got electronic glass designed for two different bodies.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That would be nifty.
I wonder what the mount surface to sensor distance is....
If they happened to be the same, I would call that "real" cooperation :)
Hey John, Spin up that milling machine!
-bob

LJL

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but has anybody seen any images taken with the new Leica S glass? I realize that David and others were able to play with the S2 a bit, and that it was locked in at ISO 100 or 200, but are there any other images that may indicate just how good the S glass may be? We are hearing the spin about the MTF charts and comments by the designer, all of which is great. Would be nice to see some images shot wide open and stopped down. After that, it would be interesting to compare the mounting depth and image circle projection for possible use of S lenses on something like the Phase One/Mamiya body.

If there is a possible compatibility, I think this will bode very well for Leica from the pro utility perspective on its glass and system, while also offering some potentially stunning options for Phase/Mamiya shooters.....especially if the Central Shutter mechanism would work on the Phase/Mamiya body!

LJ

dfarkas

Workshop Member
LJ,

It isn't just spin. The lenses are that good, at least according to their MTF charts, lens designers and product managers.

I did see images out of the camera in Lightroom at 100%. Considering that 1) this camera is a first-gen prototype that is less than a week old and still has 9 months of development/tweaking and 2) that the light was bad and the camera only shot at ISO 100, I'd say there was plenty of detail and sharpness. I would love to see how the S2 performs with Profoto or Broncolor lights in a studio, or with a sweeping landscape on a tripod. From what I can tell, this product will deliver top IQ. Just think DMR or M8 with 4x as many pixels and better lenses. Yummmm. :thumbup:

David

LJL

David,
I was not implying that it was "spin" at all. I was merely asking if there were any other tangible results that folks could share. I realize that it is a prototype, and that there still is development ahead, but it sounds like the glass has been set down already, not still in the same prototype stage that the camera may be in. That is what I was hoping we could get a bit more info, tests, images, etc., to help show the performance of this new glass that has me and others excited.

Leica has its timetables (as we all know), but it does sound like things are pretty far along if 20 prototypes were being handled and none had any failures or mishaps, as you reported. That is impressive. That also sort of suggests that the rest of the development will be more camera related to get the other features and stuff working to the described specs, or maybe even beyond. All good. But the critical element is still gong to be the glass and what it can deliver.

Your descriptions of what you saw in LR are really what got me much more turned on by the possibilities for the S2. At this point, it seems like Leica needs to start getting some of the images looked at by some folks, and not just spring the camera to the world in 9 months without seeing how it does. With the M8, folks at least knew what the glass was capable of doing. The M8 itself....well, we all know that story, and honestly, I would not want to repeat that scenario. The S2 has to stand not only on what the body/sensor can do, but also what all this new and unknown glass can do.

That was really all I was asking about.

LJ

LJL

....think flare, CA, bokeh, edge sharpness, micro/macro-contrast, any distortions, and all the things that many folks discuss at length, and test copy after copy. The f2.5 speed for some of these sounds interesting, but seeing what that kind of performance may actually deliver is far more interesting, IMHO. The picture is worth.....

LJ

yaya

According to the project manager at Leica, the new lenses will be made for the S2 only.