Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PhaseOne Photokina News So Far

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PhaseOne Photokina News So Far

Here is what we have so far as far as news that was relayed to us by Dave G who is attending the Phase One international dealer meeting. More details will be posted to our site as we get them. A good idea is to subscribe to our RSS feed and any updates from us will be at your fingertips. (how to set up RSS feeds : http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/08/11/rss-feeds/)

• Phase One and Leica Form Strategic Alliance

The just-announced medium-format Leica S2 will feature sensor, software, and firmware developed by the experienced engineers of Phase One and will be distributed exclusively through Phase One channels. This promises the quality and sophistication of Leica with the engineering prowess and medium-format experience of Phase One.

• Capture One 4.5 Pro Release Date set

We’ve had a chance to see the New 4.5 Pro and it is stellar. Release to the public will be October 15. Capture Integration will be hosting the countries first and finest seminars to introduce photographers and assistants to this new professional workflow software. We’ll also be testing it through and through to make sure our customers can put their trust in it.
    Included in CapturOne 4.5 Pro will be enhancements to Lens+ which will not only correct for CA/Purple fringing , but also for lens geometry, not only on PhaseOne/Mamiya lenses, but Hasselblad as well!

Check back soon for seminar dates and feature details.

• Further Details on the P65+

Aperture & Shutter control with P65+ when used with Phase One 645 and Capture One 4.5.

No need for a mask. What you see in the viewfinder is exactly what you get.

On-Screen Bubble Level for real-time horizon leveling

On-Screen Grids,Styles and Ratings as well.

No need for two shot cable release anymore

Two quad-core processors inside the back allow write speeds of up to 133 mb/sec (current card technology is at 45mb/sec)

Sensor was designed and is owned by Phase One; Dalsa is only manufacturing it exclusively for Phase One

Higher Quality Live View with 4 times the refresh rate (now 5-7 fps)

Pixel Binning unlike anything ever seen before. Allows variable resolution and good ISO 1600 performance.

• New Phase One Leaf Shutter lenses are being announced and the 80mm is being demonstrated.

More to come and check our website out.

L
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: PhaseOne Photokina News So Far

Holy **** is all i am going to say. Now this is news
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

• Phase One and Leica Form Strategic Alliance

The just-announced medium-format Leica S2 will feature sensor, software, and firmware developed by the experienced engineers of Phase One and will be distributed exclusively through Phase One channels. This promises the quality and sophistication of Leica with the engineering prowess and medium-format experience of Phase One.

Now this is the smartest thing leica could possible do. This truly is brilliant by going to Phase One for there experience. Just can't miss here
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Lance :
    wondering is non-sessioned work flow still an option with 4.5 pro?

also tethered shooting with Nikon's ?????
    is this maybe tethered shooting with the phantom Nikon medium format camera
    another Strategic Alliance???

wow this is the most exciting Photokina in a while
    thanks
    am

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by arashm View Post
    Lance :
    wondering is non-sessioned work flow still an option with 4.5 pro?

also tethered shooting with Nikon's ?????
    is this maybe tethered shooting with the phantom Nikon medium format camera
    another Strategic Alliance???

wow this is the most exciting Photokina in a while
    thanks
    am
    The context of the Nikon-tethering discussion was geared towards existing dSLRs and is not a guarantee yet.

Non-sessioned workflows (i.e. browsing by folder structure) should still be an option ALONG with sessioned workflows.

Ongoing news updates all week long.

Doug

Doug Peterson
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
    Personal Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug keep us posted. A lot of diehard Leica fans here as well as Phase One fans. Ah heck we are just all gear heads, let's just admit it.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Doug
    dare I say I've actually come to like non-sessioned workflow ever since I started using 4.0
    ma

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dear Lance / Doug - I am a buyer. Please put me on list and let me know what deposit you need.

I like having something fantastic to look forward to - and no I am not selling any of my MFD gear.
    Regards
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter please adopt me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL @ Guy. I dont expect to be able to buy this system for quite some tim ( read a year) Remember the DMR? I am VERY happy to see phase One as their distributor - makes all the difference to me as traditional leica dealers and distributors are ...umm...not for me.Also I woudl buy this and probably only use 1-2 lenses - teles actualy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the Leica website on Phase One Alliance

2008SEP20 2117
    LEICA CAMERA AG AND PHASE ONE CONCLUDE STRATEGIC ALLIANCE

Leica Camera AG and Phase One A/S have agreed to enter into a long-term strategic alliance. Both companies are in mutual agreement on the terms of close future cooperation in the technical development and marketing of premium products for the professional photography segment. The objective is to offer photographers innovative high-end solutions that guarantee the greatest possible creative freedom and set standards in terms of performance, quality and technological maturity. Close cooperation has also been decided upon for the expansion of effective service and marketing structures.

The CEO of Leica Camera AG, Dr Andreas Kaufmann, welcomes the collaboration with Phase One: 'Our two companies are an outstanding match for each other due to the similarity of their corporate cultures, their extraordinary innovative strengths and their dedication to absolute quality. We complement each other very well, particularly in the marketing segment. This will enable Leica to establish a strong and sustainable position at the leading edge of the professional segment. Together with Phase One we will soon be able to begin offering professional customers a new range of products and services.'

In addition to digital backs for medium format and view cameras, Phase One, the world's leading manufacturer of camera systems for the professional segment, also offers industrialgrade software and image processing solutions specially designed to meet the most demanding requirements of professional photographers. According to the CEO of Phase One A/S, Henrik Håkonsson: 'Thanks to first class internal development and technological alliances, Phase One maintains its leadership in the provision of software and image processing solutions for the professional segment. As a consequence of this strategic alliance with Leica, Phase One now has access to the vast optical expertise of the market's quality leader and we can improve our product offerings to the world’s best photographers.

Leica Camera AG in Solms offers precision optical products of uncompromising quality and mechanical precision for the industrial and private high-end segments. The Leica range embraces a broad spectrum of cameras and precision optical products for analogue and digital photography, projectors and a range of binoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinders for field observation. Thanks to systematic investment in the manufacture of aspherical optical elements, Leica possesses vast expertise in the manufacturing, the optical calculation, the measuring and testing technology, as well as in the construction of lenses and the assembly of aspherical lens systems. Further information about Leica Camera AG and its products can be found at www.leica-camera.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and to be more precise..I am very happy with Capture ntergration -specifically.This new 4/3 MFD format is going to rock some boats -

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like Lance will be able to afford to take us all out for a steak dinner

carbonmetrictree

WOW.

Just Wow.

Guy, if Peter's going to adopt you, maybe Lance will adopt me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a bad choice Andrew. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope that my son, Doug, will take care of me :-)
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Guy - thats all I need another responsibility ...NOT!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I hope that my son, Doug, will take care of me :-)
    -bob

This it the funniest line on this forum since I started reading it.

We will mortgage our old age to get our paws on this stuff. Sick.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to rock any boats here, but at the event last night, there was never any mention of exlusive distribution of the S2 through Phase dealers. This is a Leica product and will be sold by Leica dealers. Phase's involvement is still not clearly outlined.

Whether this becomes another rebadging deal in exhange for C1 support like what happened with the Mamiya AFD III and associated lenses remains to be seen.

I hope to find out more later in the day.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David , I would imagine it would actually go through both the Leica dealers and Phase dealers. Of course all this remains to be seen but so far things sound pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Lance, does the new software support the Schneider electronic shutter when using a Phase back on a 4x5 camera, or will I still need the standalone controller? Leaf recently added Schneider shutter control to their software, Sinar always has had it and I believe Hassy has a solution too.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Lance - how certain are you of the 'exclusive' nature of the Phase/Leica S2 distribution?

Just saw that CameraWest is offering pre-ordering of the S2 line and while they carry Mamiya, they do NOT appear (based SOLELY on their web site) to offer Phase backs (actually everyone else but).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bdp View Post
    Lance, does the new software support the Schneider electronic shutter when using a Phase back on a 4x5 camera, or will I still need the standalone controller? Leaf recently added Schneider shutter control to their software, Sinar always has had it and I believe Hassy has a solution too.

Ben
    Looks like it is an external app right now. I have not had a chance to review it yet so I cannot be 100% sure. Will try to get confirmation.
    L
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Lance - how certain are you of the 'exclusive' nature of the Phase/Leica S2 distribution?

Just saw that CameraWest is offering pre-ordering of the S2 line and while they carry Mamiya, they do NOT appear (based SOLELY on their web site) to offer Phase backs (actually everyone else but).

Waiting on further details , but that is what I was told when we received some bullet points from our person at the meeting.
    As soon as we know more , you will know.
    L

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lance - just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally I am less concerned with who sells the Phaleica than with who services it! The biggest problems with the M8 revolved around the very long time to get service accomplished and with the quality of the service work performed.

If Phase dealers like Capture Integration provide a path to a dedicated organization who can do quality service work at reasonable costs and time, then this looks like a winner.

If, on the other hand, the new professional products are to be serviced by Leica, either N.J. or Solms, then I would take a much more wait and see attitude.

I think the service issue is particularly acute for the S2 as one could imagine selling off most if not all of your existing equipment given the range of capabilities of the S2. So if the S2 goes down you are dependent on getting the unit serviced and back to you in quick time, not the months that we experienced with the M8's. Getting into the professional market is a commitment to all aspects of that market i.e. products, service, loaners, upgrades and trade-ins etc. You must get it all right! No excuses

JMHO

woody

Post Thanks / Like

Woody - agreed. However am linking, in my mindset, the sale with the S&S. Also the apparent contradictions/confusion still circling who is doing what and the depth of Phelica relationship (or that both parties see it the same way).

In short - clear and incontrovertible exclusive sales, service and support via Phase houses means a WHOLE LOT MORE (as you allude) then a "..yeah, Phase dealers will also sell it and so some support..."

No reflection of ANY Leica shop, far from it, but MFDB (Phase in this case) dealers have the structure, inventory and support mentality to give a pro in the inevitable tough spot a next day replacement, fast repair/upgrade cycles, etc etc. I can't see many Leica dealers being able (or willing) to do so. One option would be to qualify certain large Leica dealers who handle MFDBs, but that concept has never been mentioned by anyone as yet.

Also, if you can buy the S2 from both "RobMac Leica" (God help you) and say C.I. (to name one), to get the MFDB-level of support pros expect will you have to prove you bought it from C.I. ? Will an extra warranty be required? You can see the kind of headaches this could start - and questions that such confusion will raise with prospect buyers if it isn't nipped in the bud.

Phase HAS to have a strong vested interest in making this work and be VERY involved in the S&S side of the equation to take this product to the market penetration it needs.

With the Phase relationship (as I've seen mention so often since yesterday) giving possible buyers such a confidence boost re: the long-term viability and applicability of the S2, both Leica and Phase have to be clearly seen to be singing the same tune very loudly, very often and as true partners who see the agreement the same way. Personally, I'd like to see some revenue sharing in the deal.
    Last edited by robmac; 23rd September 2008 at 08:40.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Not trying to rock any boats here, but at the event last night, there was never any mention of exlusive distribution of the S2 through Phase dealers. This is a Leica product and will be sold by Leica dealers. Phase's involvement is still not clearly outlined.
    Whether this becomes another rebadging deal in exhange for C1 support like what happened with the Mamiya AFD III and associated lenses remains to be seen.
    I hope to find out more later in the day.
    David
    Not putting words in your mouth here David, but if I were a Leica dealer and was getting elbowed out of the way with this exciting new product, I wouldn't be a happy camper. Frankly, I can't see Leica doing anything to upset their tried and true dealer network.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree guy's this is going to be interesting to watch how this play's out and honestly some serious decisions on to buy or not may ride on this relationship alone. This type of camera needs real support, how this is handled will be very important.

Post Thanks / Like

If the S2 were Phase-only, it would, as you imply, get very ugly very quickly. Especially with said dealers having patiently (?) sat without a Leica DSLR for so long.

The Phase involvement seems to be (rightfully) giving a lot of people the warm fuzzys yet all the offical verbiage from both parties is (as is typical) very obtuse and blue-sky in nature - and conflicting in many cases with the 1:1 chat(s) had at the Press session with folks from Leica.

I think if I were making a deposit based in part on the Phase fingers in the mix, I'd want to make sure it was refundable - at least for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the link to the new PhaseOne news letter:
    http://www.phaseone.com/Global/newsl...lus008_v2.aspx

Of course we are hard at work here trying to sort out all the details and get them up on our website with our take on them.

L

JEM_DTG

Woody,
    I agree with your whole-heartedly. As most everyone, end-users, manufacturers, and dealers alike, participating in this particular forum already know, the support (service, upgrade, loaner, warranty, etc.) of this level of product is of the utmost importance to its success. As you mentioned, I believe this will be the over-riding factor in the acceptance of the Leica S-System into the professional market.

I am excited to see this type of innovative product come to market, and will watch hopefully as it makes its way into professional market. As an avid Leica user, I feel the medium (middle) format digital market could use some input from manufacturers such as Leica.

Regards,

Jordan MillerDTG

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Personally I am less concerned with who sells the Phaleica than with who services it! The biggest problems with the M8 revolved around the very long time to get service accomplished and with the quality of the service work performed.

If Phase dealers like Capture Integration provide a path to a dedicated organization who can do quality service work at reasonable costs and time, then this looks like a winner.

If, on the other hand, the new professional products are to be serviced by Leica, either N.J. or Solms, then I would take a much more wait and see attitude.

I think the service issue is particularly acute for the S2 as one could imagine selling off most if not all of your existing equipment given the range of capabilities of the S2. So if the S2 goes down you are dependent on getting the unit serviced and back to you in quick time, not the months that we experienced with the M8's. Getting into the professional market is a commitment to all aspects of that market i.e. products, service, loaners, upgrades and trade-ins etc. You must get it all right! No excuses

JMHO

woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys. I just got back to my hotel to start blogging for the night. I was at a Leica party at the booth from 6-9:30. Too much Kolsh! Andreas Kaufmann sure knows how to throw good parties (and two nights in a row!).

I did have hands on with the S2 and did get deeper into the Phase One deal. Here is the bottom line:

The S2 is 100% Leica designed in-house, including firmware. The product managers have said this straight out. Both Stephan Shulz and Maike Harberts, as well as our contacts in the US have emphasized and remphasized this point. The recent agreement with Phase has no details yet and happened well after Leica had a working S2. They also have no plans to give Phase the product for exlusive resale. As I posted before, this is a Leica product and will be sold through Leica dealers.

So, no Phase One guts or firmware. And, if this is any indication of their lack of early or current involvement, I was looking at DNGs from the S2 today in Lightroom, not C1. The business side of things have nothing written in stone. It is far too early to jump to conclusions.

Oh, and absolutely no adapter for R lenses. This must have either been misquoted or misunderstood. The R10 is now fast-tracked and will hopefully be available soon after the S2.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion round these parts.

I have to blog now. Check it out in a few hours. Lots of pictures of new stuff. Hooray.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    That is a pity.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly is and may just leave me out unless there is promises to Pro users for service and support. I think way to early in the game to make any call on anything per say. But support is key and everyone needs to wake up to that fact. No offense to Leica dealers which some are very close friends but i need and most all Pro's buying this want support and service that the dealers cannot supply. This is NOT buying a 5 k camera where 5 maybe on the shelf

Post Thanks / Like

Damn - and, David, thanks for clearing the matters up for folks.
    Last edited by robmac; 23rd September 2008 at 14:38.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hate to continue to muddle the situation with confusion, but my sources vehemently disagree with what David has said. We still believe Phase One dealers will be the exclusive sales and support channel, and that there are large swaths of P1 intellectual property in this product.

It's probably bad to speculate at this point, but most of the products which we have picked up as semi-third-party products have been stamped with the Phase One support process. This means warranty guaranteed by Phase, replacements guaranteed by Phase, RMA-authorization by your Phase One Dealer and general hand holding and "make this right" fixes being provided by the Phase One Dealer. IMHO this would be the absolute best case situation, especially in the case of customers who already own some Phase gear.

However, for now I suggest that we all step back for a bit and just stare at how pretty it is. A sales guideline statement which would put this issue to rest likely won't be issued until at the end of, or after, Photokina.

Getting trickles of information can be frustrating I know, and I promise that neither David nor I are trying to do anything but get definitive answers as quickly as possible.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
    Personal Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like

Just to make it more interesting, an insider on LL claims that Jenoptik (Sinar's parent company) developed hardware for the S2. I wonder if we'll ever get to the bottom of this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Checkout to Leica interview on Calumet's website
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

I truly hope your right, but a number of well-established US and EU Leica dealers are advertising the S2 and pre-orders, so that and the comments from the PR event would suggest Leica is treating this (so far) like a large format DSLR vs a MFDB wrt distribution. That or a LOT of Leica dealers are about to get royally PO'd.

I also can't see Phase being too happy about say picking up the S&S heavy lifting if they're not also the exclusive channel. If Phase is simply supplying C4 and say advising Leica on how to improve their helping S$S in return for optical tech; that, while nice, is a process of change that will take years and a far cry from what was alluded to.

There was a LOT of enthusiasm among a LOT of users here and on many other forums when the Phase link-up was attached to the S2. To the degree that I was surprised. That said, this trickle of contradictory information carries with it a a very real risk of having many of these initially enthused potential buyers muttering 'typical Leica' and putting the idea of an S2 aside well before the product is even in production. It also runs the risk of PO'g Phase.

Phase says one thing and understands X. Leica execs say differently, evidence at the Press event backs up the insider info - as does the information Leica is obviously imparting to dealers. Both Leica and Phase dealers trying to find out what the @#$% is actually going on. Lovely.

I'm from the world of M&A and Strategic Alliances and while the press releases invariably over-state how much both parties love one another and will do together, for such contradictory streams of info flow to be coming out so soon after the deal is made public is startling.

Usually everyone is told here is the agreed-upon party line (vs reality in many cases) and this is the script you, employee (Phase or Leica) will adhere to, even if you don't know the particulars -- cocktail in hand or not, regardless of who you are talking to. In this case, it looks like we don't even have a party line, let alone a script.

An alliance that looked on day one like a strategic coup by both parties and a hell of a foot in the door for Leica into the MFDB revenue stream is now starting to LOOK like a bad Marx Brothers routine. That IS NOT the mindset Leica should want ANY prospective S2 customer to have - they can't afford it.

While it may all work out in the end and get clarified to the point everyone is happy-happy, it needs to be addressed and quickly.

This is not a reflection on you or any other Phase or Leica dealer, you''re caught in the same mess, if not worse, as everyone else. It is a reflection of the folks who put the deal together and opened it's kimono to the public.
    Last edited by robmac; 24th September 2008 at 03:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to agree and let me add. Service on this is my KEY factor. I am not kidding here. Been there and done that with 2 systems from leica and i simply can't afford not to have a replacement with 24 hours like almost all of us MF shooters can realize today through Phase, Hassy, Sinar and Leaf dealers. The way Leica is structured they cannot do that through retail stores

Post Thanks / Like

The Calumet interview is pretty to the point on the Phase relationship - software use and possible future distribution of whatever whenever. This is going to be a real test of the famous Danish reserve. Sigh.

Post Thanks / Like

Phase One's 23Sept Press Release - ?Leica Lenses for Phase One System

Guys,

Just had a look at one of Phase One's 23 Sept press releases. The third bullet point on the first page has this paragraph.

"Extended lens range for Phase One 645 camera system.
    Successful alliances with Leica Camera, Mamiya and Hartblei are yielding high-quality optics with a growing range of available lenses. Now includes Phase One Classic one year or Value Added 3-year warranty"

This seems to suggest lenses made by Leica. I'm wondering if these might be the european manufactured leaf shutter lenses yet to be announced.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The use of Leica-based optics for Mamiya may be what Leica is referring to re: distribution of future gear thru Phase and what was supposed to be 'exclusive' via Phase. Good news for Phamiya players if true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting. I hope this stuff gets defined better as time goes on. i am interested but it needs to hit my key factors or service and repair

Post Thanks / Like

Was surfing over a sandwich and thought Phamiya owners might find this interesting- from poser at LL who is/was at show - so take it within that context:

"At Phase One someone said that there will be 5 Leica lenses for the Phase One camera in about half a year (for the Phase One, not for the Leica...)"

Flies in the face of the various 'official' comments from Leica re Phase relationship, but what hasn't so far.

The only issue I see is it could stave off some Phamiya buyers from moving to the S2 - at least quickly if they can get similar optics w/existing platform.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob,
    I think that could be true, but the size, ergonomics and features of the S2 still seem to have the Phase One camera beat, if they actually can deliver. That keeps pressure on Phase/Mamiya to get cracking on an upgraded body already to provide snappier AF, faster frame speed, maybe better separation on AF points, etc. Technology updates could start outpacing the ability to even get some things to market in enough volume to offset R&D costs. While I would love to see improved features on many of the MF bodies and have the ability to use Leica optics if they can, I would hate seeing body turnover like we see in the DSLR/digicam world now.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Lance, I was just wondering, do you know if it will be possible to save the edits you've done in C1 when you export to DNG in the PRO version? I pretty much always use a combo of C1/ACR with my work and it's a shame if you have to export as TIF if you want to keep the useful DB/lens specific edits you can now do in C1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A quick observation on the S2 lensmount shown earlier: While it has 4 bayonet lugs and the Mamiya 3, the electronic pin arrangement looks IDENTICAL to Mamiya... So it may mean a simple mount change and presto, you've got electronic glass designed for two different bodies.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That would be nifty.
    I wonder what the mount surface to sensor distance is....
    If they happened to be the same, I would call that "real" cooperation :-)
    Hey John, Spin up that milling machine!
    -bob