The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How slippery can the slope get?

fotografz

Oh my goodness. The wish list is staggering.

Every day there are more and more temptations as technology rages onward solving problems and providing solutions.

Leica/Phase unleashes a wet dream of a system for shooters like me.

Phase announced the P65+. 60 meg true 645.

Sinar offers a Rollei owner's dream come true.

Leica rolls out 21 and 24 mm f/1.4 M optics.

Profoto 8A box redefines the term "speed"

Hensel revamps the Porty line to miniscule size and more than doubles performance.

But the price tag of all this is absolutely astounding.

Not a good time to be a gear head :ROTFL:

C

carbonmetrictree

Thank God that ALPA didn't release another camera!

fotografz

One biproduct may be great deals on lightly used recent gear for those not inclined to drop 50K to squeeze more IQ into every shot.

Keep your eye on the "For Sale" section :rolleyes:

C

carbonmetrictree

Oh most definitely, I feel a heavy rain of Sandisk 8gb CF cards coming on...:ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree guy's . My head is just spinning and my bank account going down the drain in the wrong direction. Seriously bad time to be a gear whore.

fotografz

Leica sent this to me this morning. Oh there just teasing me crazy. LOL
Guy, is this not EXACTLY what we need for all those corporate gigs and fast paced shoots? hee, hee, hee.

I mean come on ... Leica just smeared lithum grease all over the already mighty slippery slope :thumbs:

Hell, I should've yanked my money out of the stock market end of last week ... could've paid for the whole S2 system with what the paper losses have been so far. :ROTFL:

Edit: Hmmm ... actually that's not so funny :(

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It is exactly what we need bud that is the scary part. Someone has been reading our wish lists and actually looks like they will build it. Remember the movie Field of Dreams . Build it and they will come was the line in that movie. Well i have the baseball bat in my hand now throw the damn pitch. LOL

Honestly I got excited when the word Phase One popped in here on this . It could have been Hassy or Sinar also. But the point being is they need the experience from these MF companies with there software, firmware and help with this. This was a very smart move on there part.

PeterA

Well I am fascinated by the new Leica S2 it is an exciting and new development for sure - which is at least a year away from delivery...

I have been a little over the top with buying and selling this year - but the Australian dollar's appreciation against the $US made it a compelling value proposition most of the time so I haev used teh opportunity to buy and sell and trade into a set of gear I am very happy with..

I have ended up with two 39 megapixel backs and ironically the second - Phase P45+ is being used on a Phase One body as a mule to run the glass that makes my knees tremble - F series lenses. I just got delivery of Jack's 110/2 - instantly became my favourite MF bokeh king lens - talk about POP.:bugeyes:

Marc has made teh point many times -I too would love to see Hasselblad make a body which will take F series lenses..

Regarding Leica's foray into 4/3rds MF ( my term and I am sticking to it) :ROTFL::ROTFL: I wonder how long it will be before another manufacturer jumps on to this segment and adds some squeeze that is going to hit CaNikon - wow I am so enjoying the coming boot on the other foot...

Whats to stop Sinar from reconfiguring their M system for example and maybe getting Zeiss/Schneider to come up with their own 4/3 MF Leica competition?

I agree more competition more choice more fantastic technology - and more sensible prices all the time..a great outcome for people thinking of moving into what used to be a 'dead' end MF world!!

robmac

Amen

"I agree more competition more choice more fantastic technology - and more sensible prices all the time..a great outcome for people thinking of moving into what used to be a 'dead' end MF world!!"

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Much has happened in the last three years since I first got interested in photography in the Fall of 2005. I remember discovering the Alternative Forum at FM and everyone was scrambling around adapting lenses from every manufacturer trying to squeeze out the most image quality they could from their DSLR's for those not already using Medium Format Digital. Along came the 5D (its' successor will be here soon!) and the DMR (with the fabulous DMR bible thread) and they were great improvements. The 1D series has steadily improved and now we have the D3, D300, & D700 from Nikon in the last year with quality lenses from both Nikon and Zeiss. Oh, and don't forget the M8 introduced in 2006.

Wow!

Many have gone to Medium Format and it seems that the prices may finally be reasonable and ALL the MF manufacturers seem to be delivering fantastic products and equally fantastic service.

The S2 from Leica looks very very promising and we will see an R10 in the future. Now we really have choices and don't have to sacrifice on image quality and functionality - but as Marc as pointed out, if we want it all it can be costly. Deciding what to get may still be difficult but now we will want everything because they are so damn good rather than have to buy something because you can accept its limitations.

I just need to be patient. Let's see what develops. What will be difficult for me is deciding between the S2 and the R10.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
When I saw that S2, it was the first MF camera that actually made me consider selling my John Deere tractor in order to finance a camera buy. Fortunately, I've since come to my senses. But it might get tricky once the thing is actually available and I start to see samples. ;)

LJL

This list of goodies is really quite amazing, in comparison to past events and announcements. The leica S2 has more than grabbed my interest also. It is looking, on paper at least, as close to what I have been wanting from MF or whatever part one wants to call it. This could be a serious financial undoing for me next year.

While folks have been asking about what other lenses may fit or work with the S2, I am more interested in seeing just how the Leica offerings do, as I have a feeling that they may be quite stunning for the tasks. So all those mix and match, adapters, dual cable thingies, etc., could really become history for some folks, and yes, there could be a flood of things like this coming to market. Really trying to NOT get my hopes up too much on the S2, but it is really looking more interesting with every new tidbit of info that comes out.

The other goodies Marc lists are just as interesting. Those Hensel Porty units do look quite impressive also for building a fast, powerful and very portable lighting kit to haul just about anywhere. And the Profoto 8a is also extremely attractive, even though priced for rental house use. The new Leica M fast glass is also something folks have asked about since the M8 was introduced, and now it also hits the streets.

Yes, this is almost too much great stuff at once. I know that is really not possible for gear heads to talk about, but we may start seeing other stuff show up on the Buy&Sell forums soon.....kidneys, extra lungs, etc.....just kidding morbidly, but you get the point.

LJ

pcunite

As someone watching the MFD world unfold (coming from Canon DSLR) the Leica S2 is aimed right at me! Very smart camera.

mark1958

I remember paying 2800 dollars for my first canon d30 3 megapixel DSLR, which had lots of limitations. I remember the poor AF and all the red color casts etc. If you look at the list posted, it is just amazing how quickly the technology has advanced.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
These camera makers should sell bonds with cameras delivered at maturity.
-bob