The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Kodak sensors have smaller pixels

pcunite

How can they avoid decreased S/N with smaller pixels?
It seems that what we have been taught is changing. Thus MFD benefits are coming from the size of the senor which means larger glass and a larger sampling of the light coming from the subject that makes them superior. I don't know just surmising.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The S2 uses micro-lenses, and this is one way to boost low light performance. They may have also figured a way to keep the chip cooler during its charge which will reduce noise. Finally, I suspect that processing has improved dramatically too...

What I find really interesting is that Phase has pretty much built itself on the Kodak chip, yet shifts to the Dalsa for its full-frame bad boy... :confused:

fotografz

The S2 uses micro-lenses, and this is one way to boost low light performance. They may have also figured a way to keep the chip cooler during its charge which will reduce noise. Finally, I suspect that processing has improved dramatically too...

What I find really interesting is that Phase has pretty much built itself on the Kodak chip, yet shifts to the Dalsa for its full-frame bad boy... :confused:
Hasselblad has also shifted to Dalsa for their 60 Meg. FF.

PeterA

and they can both put their ' big boys' where the sn dont shine as far as I am concerned.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Didn't Phase make mention of exclusivity for this sensor when they unveiled
the P65?

Mark
Yes they do on the chip that has Sensor+ technology which they developed and own the rights to. They also mentioned that this technology can be ported to other manufacturers sensors as well.
Sensor+ technology is explained as :
-- Scalable pixel and file size
-- Higher sensitivity & dynamic range
-- Increased flexibility for operation and capture
-- Improved capture rates
(from Phase One Press Release)

Lance

mtomalty

Thanks for the clarification,Lance.

Perhaps,with the Leica strategic alliance,some of the Sensor+ technology
will then find its way into the S2.

Mark