The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad significantly drops prices.

fotografz

Just received an e-mail from Hasselblad, and then spoke with a dealer ...

Up to 40% drop in pricing.

Samples of unofficial, yet to be double-double checked pricing:

H3D-II/39 $22K

CF-II/39 (back for multi-camera use) $20K

New H3D-II/60 back priced around what the 39 used to be.

No more trade up program, just price cuts on new.

H3D-II/31 remains promo price from now on.

David K

Workshop Member
I guess any price reduction is good news... but it does concern me to see prices dropping like rocks. Maybe saying something about the realities of our global economic situation.

mark1958

I think the main reason is the MF competition.... Competition is good..

I guess any price reduction is good news... but it does concern me to see prices dropping like rocks. Maybe saying something about the realities of our global economic situation.

LJL

Marc,
This is interesting. So, for $22K, one could get Hasselblad's top end H3DII body, the mated 39MP back and the 80/2.8 lens.....(final pricing checks and double checks need to be accounted for yet). That starts to really put some heat on the yet unreleased S2, suggesting it needs to come in at or below that to be competitive. That $18K "kit" price is starting to look more "real" for the S2, but lower would be even better.

All that being said, getting the 39MP Hassy would be a very good deal, and still afford the even higher resolution option by just getting the 60MP back if needed later.

So who is next? Sinar? How about some "real deals" on your kit? Leaf? Any chance of offering soom decent pricing on that new rotating sensor back and mating it to a Phase or Sinar body? This could get interesting.

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
LJ,

Sinar has already dropped their prices on existing kits and priced the recently announced ones pretty competitively.

LJL

LJ,

Sinar has already dropped their prices on existing kits and priced the recently announced ones pretty competitively.
David,
I have been watching them also, and agree, things are getting more competitive. I still think what they offer is very nice, but also still a bit pricey and I still also worry about support. Trust me, I really like the Hy6, and the new backs seem to be hitting their marks. There still are lots of accessories that are not terribly inexpensive once you start adding things up.

LJ

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Also could be a new strategy similar to the inkjet model (give away the printer to get the ink/media sales, only that there are no third party accessories available!).
Sell the H3 platform a low price, then sell the lenses at a high price with no choice but to pay because there is no third party support on the H3 platform for lenses.

I just saw the 35-90 price , $7k!

So in the future can it be expected that the Hasselblad H lens prices will increase?

L

pcunite

Sell the H3 platform a low price, then sell the lenses at a high price with no choice but to pay because there is no third party support on the H3 platform for lenses.

Wow, two 5D II's strapped to the front of the H3!

mark1958

I think all camera manufacturers want to get folks to buy their cameras to get them locked into a system. Canon and Nikon believe if you buy their DSLRs and then start buying their lenses-- they will be locked into their system moving forward. How many people stick with a platform because they do not want to go through the cost and hassle of selling all their lenses. I mean people do jump but once someone is committed more difficult to change over.

Also could be a new strategy similar to the inkjet model (give away the printer to get the ink/media sales, only that there are no third party accessories available!).

So in the future can it be expected that the Hasselblad H lens prices will increase?

L

robmac

As the step-wise price/performance curve on high-end DSLRs shift hits a downward step, so must the price/performance curves for the MF players. It will also only get worse/better (depending if you're a buyer or seller I guess) - especially if we see the S2 MF form factor copied by other players, which we undoubtedly will.

I think the pricing paradigm, model/sensor churn (and feature-creep) that has become the hallmark of the DSLR world has now moved upstream. Never thought I'd see the day where a clean (I assume) H3D (Mk1)-39 kit for < $13,000 like has been listed on FM would sit there for as long as it has collecting drool.

As for the lenses (ah, wait until the S lenses are priced...), look at Canon, Nikon, etc. The lens prices stay relatively stable as the body prices 'plunge' with every cycle - but you do, sometimes, maybe, well, occasionally, get more lens performance for the same $$ (more so with the new Nikon WA zoom offerings). No reason Hassy or anyone else need be any different.

As Mark states above - give'em a little taste, watch their eyes go wide and their wallets come out and suddenly they need a REALLY compelling case to get them to eat the $$$s in glass, etc to pull a switch.

That said, such downward price spikes are also a good way to remind your competitors who one of the big elephants in the room is (and who isn't) -- if you have the pockets for it.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
I'm not sufficiently in the loop to have a clue what the thinking is behind these price drops. I doubt any of the players think they can buy market share based on price alone. I have little doubt that any drop by Hassey will be followed, in short order, by price drops from the other back makers. Meantime... if I bought one of these last week/month at the old prices I'd certainly be on the phone right now.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
related to what? excess inventory they need to dump to up cashflow?

LJ
Most common financial issue would be coming from the "credit crunch" . Maturing loans are not being renewed or the terms maybe be as good. This puts a premium on raising cash ...quickly.

fotografz

As I understand it, Hasselblad is doing very well, and the H3D-II/31 promo was quite a success.

Volume does count. Plus the R&D for the H/C lenses and the platform has to have been paid back by now ... most continuous improvement aspects are now accomplished with firmware and software.

The lens analogy is probably correct ... look at the $5000. price tag on the Mamiya 28 ... now $4,100. Best to wait for bundle promos ... that's how I got my H/C 28 for $1,200 ... and the very expensive Zeiss 40IF for almost free.

woodyspedden

Well I surely will be on the phone with PPR Atlanta to see what can be done. I bought my H3D kit less than three months ago and have now taken a $10K bath (on paper). I will be appalled if they don't take action to see that something is done.

Obviously there is no longer any point to my sale on the B&S thread. So Guy or Jack, could you please delete those two threads for me.

Thanks

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I surely will be on the phone with PPR Atlanta to see what can be done. I bought my H3D kit less than three months ago and have now taken a $10K bath (on paper). I will be appalled if they don't take action to see that something is done.

Obviously there is no longer any point to my sale on the B&S thread. So Guy or Jack, could you please delete those two threads for me.

Thanks

Woody
Sure will Woody . This does suck for folks like you that bought recently