The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newbie ready to jump in

carl-b

Hi guys
Newbie here looking to move into MF. Mainly for the dynamic range and tones you get with it.

Currently use a Nikon D200. Landscapes are my prefered enjoyment, although i sometimes dabble with other types.

So in my quest to join the empty wallet brigade, i picked up a Mamiya 645 AFDii body on ebay for £49 :D

It was sold as needing a new shutter. When it arrived, the shutter curtain is closed - without a back on. Also there was a piece that attaches to the underside of the mirror that had come off.

I have refitted that and the tiny spring that was on it.

So the question is, can the shutter curtain be fixed/ reset? or will it have to be replaced?
I don't mind having a fiddle with the camera.

Or have i invested in a nice Mamiya paper weight? :ROTFL:

carl

homeiss

If you know for sure it needs a new shutter, you can pick them up on ebay. Not cheap, and you'd have to be alright at soldering. But I'm sure it could be done.

You could also just send it in for service. However, you might have been able to get a working AFD II for less than that.

carl-b

If you know for sure it needs a new shutter, you can pick them up on ebay. Not cheap, and you'd have to be alright at soldering. But I'm sure it could be done.

You could also just send it in for service. However, you might have been able to get a working AFD II for less than that.
Hi

Thank you for your reply :)

I'm not sure if it needs replacing or not? I have already got that shutter in my watched list. My soldering is ok, but before i go down the route of swapping it myself. I would want a service/ repair manual if one exists? I have spent days going through google etc for one, but nothing pops up.

As to getting a working one cheaper than £49? roughly 40 US dollars? If you find one i will buy it :)

I keep reading about a spring that fails? If that is all it might be an easy repair?

mediumcool

Hi guys
So in my quest to join the empty wallet brigade, i picked up a Mamiya 645 AFDii body on ebay for £49 :D

It was sold as needing a new shutter. When it arrived, the shutter curtain is closed - without a back on. Also there was a piece that attaches to the underside of the mirror that had come off.
As a safety precaution, when the back is off, the shutter disappears into the body. I bought an AFD (first model) on eBay without a back and had to wait months before getting a digital back; suddenly the shutter appeared!

A film back will do it.

carl-b

As a safety precaution, when the back is off, the shutter disappears into the body. I bought an AFD (first model) on eBay without a back and had to wait months before getting a digital back; suddenly the shutter appeared!

A film back will do it.
Thank you.
A film back has been purchased and should be here next week.
Hopefully i explained it correctly in my OP. Without a back on the camera the shutter is visible.
So would a film back reset the shutter? or will it need repairing/replacing?

mediumcool

Thank you.
A film back has been purchased and should be here next week.
Hopefully i explained it correctly in my OP. Without a back on the camera the shutter is visible.
So would a film back reset the shutter? or will it need repairing/replacing?
Oops, I missed that completely! I am looking at my 645AFD right now, and the shutter is completely retracted, even with no batteries.

Does the shutter have any wrinkles or bumps in it?

carl-b

Oops, I missed that completely! I am looking at my 645AFD right now, and the shutter is completely retracted, even with no batteries.

Does the shutter have any wrinkles or bumps in it?
There is no damage, wrinkles, bumps etc to the shutter curtain. There was a bit of what looked like a grey/ brown dust on some of the lower curtains. But it doesn't seem to be there now.

carl-b

Hi guys
Just thought i would update this thread. The film back turned up saturday, earlier than expected. As soon as i mounted it to the camera, the shutter sorted itself out.
So the shutter now functions as it is supposed to :thumbs:

Looking forward to getting a few lenses and seeing what this puppy can do.

mediumcool

Hi guys
Just thought i would update this thread. The film back turned up saturday, earlier than expected. As soon as i mounted it to the camera, the shutter sorted itself out.
So the shutter now functions as it is supposed to :thumbs:

Looking forward to getting a few lenses and seeing what this puppy can do.
Excellent news!