The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Check out the news section on the Leaf website

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Are we still called leaf and/or Sinar as a separate name or are they combining the naming of this and call it ?

Is this a complete merger of companies or just shared technology ?

Guy Mancuso

Let's just paste the whole deal here so we can all read it

Leaf and Sinar AG agree to expand strategic cooperation to cover imaging technology

Köln, Germany, 25 September, 2008 – Leaf, developer of advanced medium format digital camera systems, and Sinar AG, longtime provider of digital high-end camera solutions, today announced their intention to expand their strategic alliance to include bilateral sharing of digital imaging technology.

The first step of the planned cooperation will provide access for Sinar AG to the new Leaf AFi-II imaging technology in order to round out their innovative range of digital system solutions with the new True Wide Sensor format.

"Our intention is to combine the extraordinary image quality and digital technology of Leaf products with Sinar’s vast knowledge and experience in creating superior medium format cameras,” said Dov Kalinski, general manager of Leaf. “As we expand our strategic cooperation with Sinar, we expect to see more new products that enhance the offerings of both companies."

"At Sinar we have a sixty year long tradition of excellence in designing and building innovative and precise camera systems for photographers around the globe."said Wolfgang Keller, CEO of Sinar AG. "The new Leaf AFi-II digital back would complement our own digital product range, like the brand new eSprit 65, perfectly and with this cooperation we will be able to provide solutions for an even broader spectrum of professionals."

Leaf AFi-II imaging technology The new Leaf AFi-II imaging technology brings photographers the world’s widest medium format sensor at 56mm wide. It also delivers advances in image quality, flexibility and ease of use, including:
Leaf Verto internal sensor rotation for easily changing orientation without turning the camera or adjusting the tripod mount.
Leaf SensorFlex technology which lets photographers select from pre-defined crop formats for increased capture speed with variable file sizes while maintaining full image quality.
The first medium format camera back with a touch screen LCD display that tilts 90° making it easy to glance at the preview image and histogram and easily adjust settings while staying in position for the next shot.
Sinar digital systems
With Sinar’s system range, every photographer is fully equipped for all professional photography jobs. All Sinar products are designed as system modules which are consistently tailored to the everyday needs of the professional. Together they guarantee maximum quality, operating convenience and value creation. Modular system solutions from Sinar provide the basis on which existing components can be integrated, giving the photographer the flexibility to deliver the best in every area and to take full advantage of all the potential offered by digital photography. This is where Sinar strives to make the best possible systems available to its customers, this includes the integration of the new Leaf AFi-II imaging module into the Sinar system.

For more information, you can visit both Sinar and Leaf at Photokina 2008 in Cologne, Germany: Leaf (www.leaf-photography.com) will be exhibiting at Hall 4.2 – stand B-009 and Sinar (www.sinarcameras.com) at Hall 4.2 – stand C-021.

T

thsinar

Dear Guy,

please read the press release carefully: there is no mention of merger/name combination, etc .., only of an "expansion of the cooperation":

here an extract from the press release:

"Leaf and Sinar AG agree to expand strategic cooperation to cover imaging technology
Cologne, Germany, September 25th 2008

Leaf, developer of advanced medium format digital camera systems, and Sinar AG, longtime provider of digital high-end camera solutions, today announced their intention to expand their strategic alliance to include bilateral sharing of digital imaging technology ...."

http://www.sinarcameras.com/site/index__gast-e-1473-23-1563-urlvars-rand-264.html

You shall get more information as it is available.

Best regards,
Thierry

Are we still called leaf and/or Sinar as a separate name or are they combining the naming of this and call it ?

Is this a complete merger of companies or just shared technology ?

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Thierry . As you know press releases are written by well intentioned folks that don't always get down to the nitty gritty of really what is going on, just wanted to be clear. Sometimes these things say one thing and mean another . Not saying they did here but I like plain english if you know what I mean. I do see this as a very positive move for both parties involved and what comes from it in future product will be great.

EH21

So does this mean that if you had a Hy6 e75, that you could trade it in for a leaf AFi II - 10?

David K

Workshop Member
So does this mean that if you had a Hy6 e75, that you could trade it in for a leaf AFi II - 10?
Absolutely... and get Capture One Pro for free :) It will be interesting to see what this means in the real world once it is explained in more detail.

gogopix

Subscriber
Well, do I read correctly; no Contax 645 mount. I think Sinar still has a contax adapter, but their technology makes it easier. I assume th 65+ will be offered onm Contax (esp now that I decided to keep mine for some years.

Victor

Lance, is there a list for the upgrade?

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Hey Victor,
Yes the P65+ will be available for the Contaxt mount.
Will get you on the list no problem :).
Welcome back from your travels.
L

yaya

Well, do I read correctly; no Contax 645 mount
Victor
The press release talks about the AFi-II backs which are made for the AFi/ Hy6 cameras.
The Aptus-II line includes a Contax mount and so will the Aptus-II 10 (56MP)

Yair

T

thsinar

I have first to apologize for being silent for so long. Th Photokina has been a very busy time and getting relaxed in the evening, after the show, with some friends and a Kölsch is far more appealing that hanging around in the forums!

:)

More seriously and concerning the upgrade question:

It is too early to speculate on this: one is sure, there will certainly be an upgrade path from Sinar to the Sinar-branded 56 MPx back.

More when the full information and prices will be availabe.

best regards,
Thierry