Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: it will be super interesting to see Nikon D800 VS Leica S2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: it will be super interesting to see Nikon D800 VS Leica S2

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    …The cheaper model is always better.…
    no, it is only always cheaper In the most cases it only will be ok, but not even or better.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL I was being sarcastic.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    ... Who would care for dxo as long as we have eyes to see. I dont waste my time with such numbers...
    I'm on the same page. I work with numbers every day (writing engineering software) and I know how easy it is to misinterpret numbers. If I'm going to compare image quality I won't look at numbers, I'll look at pictures. Numbers aren't always the complete picture. Pictures are the complete picture.
    Doug Herr http://www.wildlightphoto.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    If S2 owners were not so quick to defend, then why all the S2 photographs to show how amazing they are. Although, the thread title is D800e vs S2, there's no production models with prime lenses yet to compare it to the S2. They're two different camera formats,(sort of) so what's to compare other than the fact that there close in MP's and approximately $35,000 difference in price for just one lens S2? I demoed an S2 for a possible purchase, I had it for a week. I loved the form factor, and weather sealing, my intent was to use this for portraits and landscapes, but there was little room for cropping, if needed, and the colors were to "crunchy", and needed dialing back right out of the camera. Having an H4D/40, I couldn't justify what seemed to me a 35mm camera on steroids, and I guess that's why all the comparisons. The S2 is a fantastic camera, for what it is, but I admittedly kept comparing it to a 35mm, and that's exactly why I decided against it. Those who did, you have a fine camera, but let's be honest about these comparisons.
    Yes, I agree ... they are amazing

It wasn't a S2 owner conjuring up the comparison notion now was it?

Don't know when you demoed the S2, or what profile you used, or what settings, so it's impossible to know what you are talking about, nor what "crunchy" colors even mean. All I know is that you cannot default sharpen these files because the lenses are so sharp to start with, and the camera has had a number of firmware updates and a significant profile update so far ...

However, I did compare the S2 to my H4D/40 and current Sony A900 for over two weeks ... which is exactly why I went for it. Different strokes for different folks. Hardly use the Sony anymore. In fact, no need for a D800 either. I am far more intrigued by the D4 or Canon 1DX for 35mm work ... no compromise blinding speed and true low ambient light work. Keeps those horse on different courses instead of running against each other. Did the same with MFD, no confusing the S2 with my big gun H4D/60 ... rationally planned separation of powers.

Without the applications I now have, a D800 and D4 ... OR 1DX and heavily rumored 45 meg 5DX ... would be a no-brainer decision.

Application, application, application, drives the decisions, and it is there that all the differences being discussed emanate from, not the gear.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    If S2 owners were not so quick to defend, then why all the S2 photographs to show how amazing they are. Although, the thread title is D800e vs S2, there's no production models with prime lenses yet to compare it to the S2. They're two different camera formats,(sort of) so what's to compare other than the fact that there close in MP's and approximately $35,000 difference in price for just one lens S2? I demoed an S2 for a possible purchase, I had it for a week. I loved the form factor, and weather sealing, my intent was to use this for portraits and landscapes, but there was little room for cropping, if needed, and the colors were to "crunchy", and needed dialing back right out of the camera. Having an H4D/40, I couldn't justify what seemed to me a 35mm camera on steroids, and I guess that's why all the comparisons. The S2 is a fantastic camera, for what it is, but I admittedly kept comparing it to a 35mm, and that's exactly why I decided against it. Those who did, you have a fine camera, but let's be honest about these comparisons.
    Johnny,
    for my part I will now stop in this discussion.
    I dont care if a camera belongs to 35mm or to mf cameras or how it compares on paper to a different camera. For me it is important that I like the user interface and that I like the results.
    And I dont want to do marketing for a camera. It is totally fine for me if other people prefer other cameras. I just try to post if I get the feeling that something is described in a way I did not experience and than see the risk that other people get an one sided impression.
    For some reason I dont understand why posting images means "defending" something and that written text should be the better medium to compare image quality of cameras.
    You found what works best for you and I found what works best for me. Happy shooting,Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem with this sort of data-free thread is that it invites all the thrust and parry of all of us opinionated folks without shedding any light on the subject.

It would be just as valid to wonder why a raven is like a writing desk.

-bob

Post Thanks / Like

it is at the heart of my scientific believes that generally 'numbers' have a deep impact on reality and that they are able to represent a strong part of what we perceive
    Not as I understand it—numbers have no impact on reality at all; at best they are one of the descriptions humans have of reality. They are able to represent aspects of what we perceive, to be sure, but the experience is primary or, more accurately, we postulate that there is Reality (Wilden) and reality (individual experiences of it). Helpful reading here is Korzybski and others ("the map is not the territory" guy).

and, Bob, just why is that raven like a writing desk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Not as I understand it—numbers have no impact on reality at all; at best they are one of the descriptions humans have of reality. They are able to represent aspects of what we perceive, to be sure, but the experience is primary or, more accurately, we postulate that there is Reality (Wilden) and reality (individual experiences of it). Helpful reading here is Korzybski and others ("the map is not the territory" guy).

Well, they both have mass and neither of them is for sale in a produce stand.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Good start!

Post Thanks / Like

isn'nt it that scientists are from venus and philosophers from mars?
    peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by markowich View Post
    isn'nt it that scientists are from venus and philosophers from mars?
    peter
    The other way around based on the Venusians I have met.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The other way around based on the Venusians I have met.
    -bob
    i knew someone would say this--(((( anyway, i have tried.
    peter

Post Thanks / Like

markowich; it's all good fun, and it's possible to be both a scientist and a philosopher; my science research led me to philosophy. Cheers, Kit

Post Thanks / Like

markowich; it's all good fun, and it's possible to be both a scientist and a philosopher; my science research led me to philosophy. Cheers, Kit
    hi kit,
    i see...well, my philosophy is science ...and the rest of it.
    cheers,
    peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now this is a better discussion. Maybe a more enlightening thread question would be: How does your profession impact your gear choices and ultimately, your photography?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Now this is a better discussion. Maybe a more enlightening thread question would be: How does your profession impact your gear choices and ultimately, your photography?
    Ask that in "Other Discussions" ... I think it would actually be a very interesting subject.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Me too—someone please start it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree this vs that is really boring
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But neither of them beats Film!!!

(Just thought this topic needs a little shot in the arm, take it away boys...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    But neither of them beats Film!!!

(Just thought this topic needs a little shot in the arm, take it away boys...)

I really prefer the look of wet plate collodion.
    film is such crap and is just too bendy.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Maybe a more enlightening thread question would be: How does your profession impact your gear choices and ultimately, your photography?
    Obviously depends on your profession.

The question right now on the lips most professional photographers is when will we be able to buy the Canon 5D MK111?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Scientists and philosophers? My nephew is an astrophysicist with a PHD from Harvard University. During his college career he took violin lessons. When his violin teacher found out he was a physics major he said, "I knew it. I could tell by the way you played." So if a musician's ordered mentality is evident in their performance, it is probably the same for photography since they are both creative endeavors.

Greg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Scientists and philosophers? My nephew is an astrophysicist with a PHD from Harvard University. During his college career he took violin lessons. When his violin teacher found out he was a physics major he said, "I knew it. I could tell by the way you played." So if a musician's ordered mentality is evident in their performance, it is probably the same for photography since they are both creative endeavors.

Greg
    Or it could be people fitting their prejudices to the "facts."

I find the folks that dismiss the numbers don't understand them. And folks that throw around numbers to "prove" product "superiority" don't understand them either. We already hear claims that the Nikon lenses will not be sharp on the new sensor. Well, if their images look sharp now, how is dividing the image into smaller pixels going to make images softer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    .... We already hear claims that the Nikon lenses will not be sharp on the new sensor. Well, if their images look sharp now, how is dividing the image into smaller pixels going to make images softer?
    People will look closer because the higher sampling rate will allow them to.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    sounds like what happens when I share a roughly processed shot with jack or Guy
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Framing is all off Bob. Need fire to have negative space to grow. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's not talk cars Jack and I had flats 24 hours after each other in the same model cars same left rear tire and the same damn spot and same kind of puncture. Okay I needed new tires his where a week old . I bought new tires afterwards to do the workshop and get home. Jack parked his with fix a flat and left it in the parking lot to nurse it home. He got new tire today. Talk about crap luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When you run with the honey badger you can expect a cobra sting once and awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Let's not talk cars Jack and I had flats 24 hours after each other in the same model cars same left rear tire and the same damn spot and same kind of puncture. Okay I needed new tires his where a week old . I bought new tires afterwards to do the workshop and get home. Jack parked his with fix a flat and left it in the parking lot to nurse it home. He got new tire today. Talk about crap luck
    Well, you know what they say - luck is a skill.

Seriously, what did you do to your cars - go down Lippincott Road at 60 mph?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

70 for 33 miles in the dirt. Lol

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

p.s. guys, let me know if you need a link to a source of REAL off road tyres

I'm at 2500 miles of a road trip with lots of rough stuff and I had an outage too. Need a new bulb for my brake light
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol yea we did catch what your vehicle is wearing. Jealous

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did about 30K miles with my Landcruiser during my year in Australia, 25% on dirt roads and offroad. Darn expensive tires but they did last the year.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's ok, Jack & Guy have the last laugh every time they go past me while I'm putting $$ into the gas pump.

As regards the original thread, well, if I were an S2 owner it wouldn't be so much as D800 vs S2 as D800 AND S2
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"