The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Legacy Mega Vision S4 back/cable question

unlearny

I bought a bizarre digital back online and after a lot of research I figured out it is a 16mp megapixel mega-vision s4.

The back included no chords, and I would like to know if anybody has one of these with the chords, and if so, maybe find out how to order a replacement.

No answer from MV. Here it what the back looks like.

s4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is the mysterious data port

mystery 10pin port | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

finally two 2 pin ports

:confused::LOL:

unlearny

Nobody has used these backs? Ugh, I'm back to the drawing board. If anybody has any megavision knowledge, please let me know.

Audii-Dudii

In Search of the Lost Chord was a great album ... has it really been over 40 years now? :wtf:

Seriously, have you tried contacting Megavision? Last time I checked, they were still in business, even though their website hasn't been updated in ages...

unlearny

Ride, ride my see-saw, take my place, it's for free.

Although, at the moment you probably wouldn't want my place, since I have a bizarre rebranded MF digital back and no way of using it. I tried, by the way, to contact Meglavision to no avail, and the site doesn't even mention older models.

Stefan Steib

You should try to contact either Ken Boydston or Richard Chang

[email protected]

I don´t know if they have spares for these old backs but at least they could give you an info if it´s worth investing in such a cable (as this may cost some hundred bucks if it still exists !)

I just wonder on the photos you posted there is no Megavision logo- could it be this one is an OEM modified industry version ?

Regards
Stefan

unlearny

You are correct, Stefan. In my research I learned that MV sourced these backs to terrapix by pixel physics... I was afraid you were going to remark on how crappy the pictures are! I used a ricoh m mount GXR & visoflex III with a leitz 5cm lens... very retro-futuristic, but the closest thing I had to a point and shoot handy.

I found it :http://www.art-si.org/PDFs/Acquisition/DCDayMSThesis03.pdf

I can't find the article, but there was a really cool pdf from RPI about full spectrum photography that mentions using these backs on a Contax 645... I have an etrsi, but still.

unlearny

Yesterday I received a friendly email from Jon at Mega Vision. It seems that I need to hunt down an Omega Board (and an old apple tower-easy) to interface with the back, and if I find that, he may have an extra cable lying around to sell me.

So, I guess I will try out the WTB section of GetDPI. Though it is more of a WTGFF situation,(i.e. want to get for free!) Though I guess that is far fetched since whoever still has one, remembers how much it cost them back in the day... what, 25,000 in 1999 or even more? I have some tempting trade items, so maybe that will work.

In fact, for a working tower with the card and the chord, and a back I would trade a Dicomed 4000k scanning back. This forum is called GetDPI, right?

unlearny

How dpi obsessed does one have to be to dig up 10 year old dissertations in order to determine the operability of a surplus mf digital back?

M

megavision 2

Before you invest any other money, it might be wise to ask if MegaVision made an adapter for the Bronica ETRS/ETRSi cameras. You should also ask, if the MegaVision BatPac can work with your back? If so, you could use your back W/O it being tethered to a G4 tower. You could use it with an Apple lap top, that has what I think is called a PCMCIA card slot on the left side of the lap top. I have an older Apple Titanium 15" that has such a slot. Like you I bought a MegaVision digital back. Two years ago I bought a MegaVision S2, much older than your S4 back. Your S4 back has sockets for three cables, my S2 back only has sockets for two cables, so I am not sure how your back operates. Mine sat unused until two weeks ago, when I found the BatPac for it. I was lucky, in that the person who sold me the BatPac, still had some of the procedures in his computer, and was able to walk me though getting it up and running.
Think you can still find the software on line, it might take some doing, but it can be found. You will need both soft wares, one for your s4 back, the other for the BatPac (BatPac is a small specialized computer, that is battery operated). It might be possible to use the S4 back, and BatPac with a G4 tower, if you can find a SCSI PC card reader. I tried, but could not locate one. The BatPac I have was made to be used with micro-drive cards, but can also use some CF cards. I think the cards have to be 1 or 2 GB's or less. I am using 1 GB micro-drive, and CF cards.