The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best wide in Cambo rs with IQ180?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi all,

My 35XL no longer quite cuts the mustard now I've moved up to the IQ180: though fabulously low on geometric distortions, the colour shifts are barely correctable and movements are so limited as to be almost pointless. So I am a looking for something with about the same FOV but better cast behaviour - I hear the Roddies are better but that they have a lot of geometric distortion,which makes stitching difficult.

Anyone have a view? I don't want to switch the main body out from Cambo to anything else, though the 35xl is the only lens I have for this body.

Best
Tim

Last edited:

rupho

IQ 180 , wide & movements
wider than 35XL: it's the 32HR or if you can spare some FoV go 40HR. That's it for us I am afraid if you need movements
The 28XL is a no go !

anGy

Sell the Cambo, buy the Mam 28mm, spare you the huge Schneider/Rodenstock lens investments and enjoy creative shooting again...... Just kidding, a little.

gazwas

Tim, I would give Paula a ring at Linhof & Studio Ltd and enquire about hiring the RS32 HR-W because the only way to really see if a lens is suited to your requirements is to shoot with it. They are a brilliant company to deal with and Paula is very knowledgable.

Being Alpa dealers, you might not get to try it on your Cambo but I'm sure something could be arranged to test with your back. Just consider this though, you'll probably loose as much trying to sell all your Phase/Cambo kit as buying a new Alpa. ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Rodie 23 and 32mm and you need wider than you have issues beyond image capture with a digital back. 23 you get 3mm of rise or fall . Maybe 5mm shift and 32 about 9mm rise and fall and about 12mm shift. Honestly the 23 is almost too wide. I just shot the Rodie 28 on my 160 with 7mm rise and fall. That was enough for me to start knitting a new ski mask. Image is so sharp it's scary. These are the limits. If that don't suit ya than look elsewhere MF is not your answer. Widest lens you can really stitch on a 180 is the Rodie 40 and it's killer good.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks to all, sound advice...

@Guy, how's geometric distortion on the Rodie 40? That should be wide enough!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The distortion on the 40 is pretty small and regardless, flat shift stitches line up perfectly because you are shifting the back across the lens' own IC (distortions and all) so everything better line up perfectly! I shot an architecture job of a large home that required me to shift and stitch my 40. I assembled it and everything lined up perfectly -- and moreover all the home's lines looked perfectly straight. I did not bother running the Alpa corrections either as it simply wasn't necessary. The client was ecstatic with the result.

tashley

Subscriber Member
The distortion on the 40 is pretty small and regardless, flat shift stitches line up perfectly because you are shifting the back across the lens' own IC (distortions and all) so everything better line up perfectly! I shot an architecture job of a large home that required me to shift and stitch my 40. I assembled it and everything lined up perfectly -- and moreover all the home's lines looked perfectly straight. I did not bother running the Alpa corrections either as it simply wasn't necessary. The client was ecstatic with the result.
Thanks Jack, that's incredibly useful. I guess until SK come out with the wide version of their TS, the Rodie must be the best solution. Must put my 35xl in the for sale section!

cng

No love for the SK43? I push mine to +/-20mm mainly to gain skies/lose foreground when shooting architecture. I don't stitch, and have never needed to look for any smearing/resolution loss at the edge of the IC, so can't comment on it's suitability for your intended use.

If doing large shifts then a CF (hello, Schneider?) would be helpful. There is noticeable vignetting when shifted 20mm but IMO the fall-off is gradual and aesthetically pleasing.

It's "true" focal length is actually slightly longer than 43mm but it's still one sweet lens. Also well-corrected for distortion.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack for this short report .
I have shot quite a lot with my HR40 and am more than satisfied and happy with that lens .
But I have not done any stitching with that lens yet . I had no need so far .
I am now looking forward to do so .