Site Sponsors

Thread: Best wide in Cambo rs with IQ180?

Post Thanks / Like

Best wide in Cambo rs with IQ180?

Hi all,

My 35XL no longer quite cuts the mustard now I've moved up to the IQ180: though fabulously low on geometric distortions, the colour shifts are barely correctable and movements are so limited as to be almost pointless. So I am a looking for something with about the same FOV but better cast behaviour - I hear the Roddies are better but that they have a lot of geometric distortion,which makes stitching difficult.

Anyone have a view? I don't want to switch the main body out from Cambo to anything else, though the 35xl is the only lens I have for this body.

Best
    Tim
    Last edited by tashley; 11th February 2012 at 08:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best wide in Cambo rs with IQ180?

IQ 180 , wide & movements
    wider than 35XL: it's the 32HR or if you can spare some FoV go 40HR. That's it for us I am afraid if you need movements
    The 28XL is a no go !

Post Thanks / Like

Sell the Cambo, buy the Mam 28mm, spare you the huge Schneider/Rodenstock lens investments and enjoy creative shooting again...... Just kidding, a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, I would give Paula a ring at Linhof & Studio Ltd and enquire about hiring the RS32 HR-W because the only way to really see if a lens is suited to your requirements is to shoot with it. They are a brilliant company to deal with and Paula is very knowledgable.

Being Alpa dealers, you might not get to try it on your Cambo but I'm sure something could be arranged to test with your back. Just consider this though, you'll probably loose as much trying to sell all your Phase/Cambo kit as buying a new Alpa.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rodie 23 and 32mm and you need wider than you have issues beyond image capture with a digital back. 23 you get 3mm of rise or fall . Maybe 5mm shift and 32 about 9mm rise and fall and about 12mm shift. Honestly the 23 is almost too wide. I just shot the Rodie 28 on my 160 with 7mm rise and fall. That was enough for me to start knitting a new ski mask. Image is so sharp it's scary. These are the limits. If that don't suit ya than look elsewhere MF is not your answer. Widest lens you can really stitch on a 180 is the Rodie 40 and it's killer good.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all, sound advice...

@Guy, how's geometric distortion on the Rodie 40? That should be wide enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The distortion on the 40 is pretty small and regardless, flat shift stitches line up perfectly because you are shifting the back across the lens' own IC (distortions and all) so everything better line up perfectly! I shot an architecture job of a large home that required me to shift and stitch my 40. I assembled it and everything lined up perfectly -- and moreover all the home's lines looked perfectly straight. I did not bother running the Alpa corrections either as it simply wasn't necessary. The client was ecstatic with the result.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The distortion on the 40 is pretty small and regardless, flat shift stitches line up perfectly because you are shifting the back across the lens' own IC (distortions and all) so everything better line up perfectly! I shot an architecture job of a large home that required me to shift and stitch my 40. I assembled it and everything lined up perfectly -- and moreover all the home's lines looked perfectly straight. I did not bother running the Alpa corrections either as it simply wasn't necessary. The client was ecstatic with the result.
    Thanks Jack, that's incredibly useful. I guess until SK come out with the wide version of their TS, the Rodie must be the best solution. Must put my 35xl in the for sale section!

Post Thanks / Like

No love for the SK43? I push mine to +/-20mm mainly to gain skies/lose foreground when shooting architecture. I don't stitch, and have never needed to look for any smearing/resolution loss at the edge of the IC, so can't comment on it's suitability for your intended use.

If doing large shifts then a CF (hello, Schneider?) would be helpful. There is noticeable vignetting when shifted 20mm but IMO the fall-off is gradual and aesthetically pleasing.

It's "true" focal length is actually slightly longer than 43mm but it's still one sweet lens. Also well-corrected for distortion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Thanks Jack for this short report .
    I have shot quite a lot with my HR40 and am more than satisfied and happy with that lens .
    But I have not done any stitching with that lens yet . I had no need so far .
    I am now looking forward to do so .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------