The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DF to RZ

P

Paul66

I have the Mamiya DM-Series 28Mp DSLR Camera and would like to know what I would need to use the back on a RZ series camera.

tnabbott

You may just need the RZ Adapter plate, model HX701. I needed the adapter plate to mate the Mamiya ZD back to my RZ.. Works like a charm.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There is one adapter for the RZ Pro IID (cable free) and a different adapter for the RZ Pro II (requires cable to lens). That's it. I strongly suggest the cable free solution (RZ Pro IID with adapter plate) since it's significantly more elegant to just put the back on the body and not have to worry about the cable.

We'd be happy to help with a rental-towards-purchase if you want to try how well an RZ fits your style before you buy.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

P

Paul66

I just might take you up on that Doug. Thanks for the response

rupho

Interesting idea, I got an old RZII (non D) that I cant sell here in Hong Kong.
I have an IQ180 in a Phase One/ DF mount . The adapter I see online are for Hasselblad V mount.
Would I need a Phase One Mamiya to RZ mount (Item number: 70994 as seen on Phase's website)? plus some regular interface cable from my tech cam?
Does anybody have experience with the lens quality.
thx
Grischa

There is one adapter for the RZ Pro IID (cable free) and a different adapter for the RZ Pro II (requires cable to lens). That's it. I strongly suggest the cable free solution (RZ Pro IID with adapter plate) since it's significantly more elegant to just put the back on the body and not have to worry about the cable.

We'd be happy to help with a rental-towards-purchase if you want to try how well an RZ fits your style before you buy.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

FredBGG

Not Available
The RZ body has to be either an RZ Pro IID to use a cable free adapter

Do you already have the RZ?

What are you looking to do with the RZ and the 28 back?

Here are some images of the adapters:

Last edited:

yaya

If the body is a non-D model (RZ, RZ PRO, RZ PRO II) then you need a mechanical adapter, for which you have 2 options:

1. Leaf adapter: Part number is 518-02213A and it comes with a marked focusing screen, a lens-to-back sync cable and a motordrive control cable
2. Mamiya HX705 adapter: you'll need to order the focusing screen and the cable/s separately

If you camera is the D model then you can either go with option 1 or do as Doug has suggested and get the HX701 plate (and the focusing screen)

Yair

P

Paul66

I don't have the RZ, just playing around with the idea of getting one to replace the Mamiya 645 DF, for some reason I like the RZ better handling wise.
Thanks for all the information.

archivue

i still can't see the point...
i have a DF... really mobile... but when i wants more movements, then i'm using a monorail in the studio... Arca M line two, arca F line 69... linhof...
The RZ is bulky, and does not have movements... what's the point ?
i probably miss something there !

bpepz

I am using a rz67 pro ii on a leaf aptus 6-II 28mp back. I really do not mind the extra cable, not a big deal for me. The price difference between an rz67 pro II and the pro IID is just ridiculous. I would hands down recommend the rz67 pro II. As far as adapter goes, I am using the hx701 which is actually for the proIID, only problem with it, is it pushes in the dark slide detecter on the rz67 pro II body, so I had to dremmell them out, I am not a mechanically inclined person but it was super easy to do. Cables for it are super easy to find on ebay aswell. Very cheap and modular solution, love it.

P

Paul66

i have a DF... really mobile... but when i wants more movements, then i'm using a monorail in the studio... Arca M line two, arca F line 69... linhof...
I like the idea of being able to shoot a waist level, I have a Hasselblad 500 C/M and like the feel of shooting it.

Steve Hendrix

Many of my clients shoot with RZ/Hasselblad V combo. And often the waist level finder is the attraction. But you never really know. Do photographers always have a point? I don't think so. Sometimes they just like something. When I shoot *X* I like the way it .... etc. Photography is not one size fits all.

Personally, I also like looking down into the WLF of the RZ, and also the ergonomics and feel of the focusing rail as I do so - even if it is not a large sensor.

Steve Hendrix

anGy

I like the idea of being able to shoot a waist level, I have a Hasselblad 500 C/M and like the feel of shooting it.
I also use an IQ180 on a DF. I never got used to this DF camera - really don't like it personally. The RZ is an appealing option to shoot with thanks to its waist level finder and (maybe) funnier system to use.
But the 'D' adapter cost a lot (1000eur in my european country) and I suspect the RZ lenses not to be the best ones to use with 80mpix (nothing to prove that, just suspicions).
Hummm, sometimes I wish I would have chosen the S2...

David Schneider

Personally, I also like looking down into the WLF of the RZ, and also the ergonomics and feel of the focusing rail as I do so - even if it is not a large sensor.
Interesting no one added the rotating back as a great feature. I do have a WLF on my Hasselblad H3d2-39, but it doesn't work for verticals. I have to put on the other viewfinder or use just a part of the sensor and leave the WLF on. Of course, looking down into the WLF of the RZ is a better experience than on the Hasselblad.

fotografz

Yes, you do miss something here.

The RZ Pro-IID is a long time, very versatile and fun to use Pro system much loved by users. In addition to WLF that many prefer, it has a wide range of lens options, some of which are very cleverly designed. It does have a T/S adapter that, while limited in movements, still provides benefits including infinity focus when used with the 75mm and 180mm SB (short barrel) lenses ... there is also a 75 T/S lens. The fisheye is a blast, the 140 macro very good, and the 210/250 APOs are very very good. The 180mm Soft focus is a great portrait lens with clever Imagon type inserts for various degrees of soft feel not readily reproducible in post.

I used one for many years with a Leaf Aptus 75 and 75s digital back and loved the files. The focusing system on the RZ is very precise, using a dual knob for very fine adjustments.

You have had to work with one to really understand the on-going attraction.

-Marc

archivue

"You have had to work with one to really understand the on-going attraction."
i used to have a pro sd and a RZ... but i went for an arca fline 69 for movements, and an hasselblad 503CW for the WLF... and with a leaf back, i was able to shoot with the WLF in vertical or horizontal !
Now i'm using an RM3D and a DF... i went with the DF for focus confirmation... and my most used lens is the 80 Macro N, bought for 200 euros including a CLA... fantastic lens for my use !
a question of taste...

FredBGG

Not Available
I don't have the RZ, just playing around with the idea of getting one to replace the Mamiya 645 DF, for some reason I like the RZ better handling wise.
Thanks for all the information.

One issue you will come up against is focusing.

While the RZ has a fine waist level finder it is still designed for a 6x7 screen , not a 44x33 screen area.

The RZ prism has low magnification too. I had one, but ended up always using the waist level finder.

I have a similar issue with the Fuji gx 680, but Fuji made a focus loup.

It is basically a loup that hovers above the focusing screen and lets you move it around.

Sheldon N

I've got a 6x loupe on order for my RZ67... will report back on how well it works after I've received it. It's a taller/thinner loupe so I hope to be able to use it in conjunction with the WLF, just drop it down the chimney and right onto the focusing screen glass.

S

Shelby Lewis

I'm now of the opinion, after shooting an RZ for a while with an Aptus II 6, that the RZ isn't as hard to focus once you get the focus screen calibrated and also use a loupe to focus.

Fred sold me a 4X horizon loupe and I can now say that focussing is not that difficult... what's more, I can tell my focus screen is indeed mis-calibrated as misfocus is by the same amount consistently... which shows me I'm focussing (bad eyes and all) to the same place essentially every time. In this digital age you just have to watch the calibration of everything. I'm going to spend an hour or so tomorrow shooting tethered to get the focus spot-on and then adjust the focus screen until it shows the same focus spot. Andre Napier did the same with all his bodies and had no probs focussing.

As far as missing something... I strongly believe that the RZ lenses draw beautifully with the lower MP backs. I absolutely love the look I get with portraits (and landscapes). It's a "smooth-sharp" aesthetic. Plenty of resolution, but with less local contrast than the more modern digital optics.

Lastly, cost on the Pro IID bodies (with 110mm lens usually) on the used market are insanely low right now... I see them in the $1200 - $1500 range coming out of Japan all the time. It's a great, affordable system to get into if you like shooting on a tripod and appreciate the look of the glass rendition.

Sheldon N

I had to adjust the focusing screen on my RZ67 to match my Aptus 22. It was showing a bit of backfocus so I had to lower the focusing screen slightly.

I wish I'd had a proper tool to adjust the screws that the focusing screen sits on, I ended up using a pair of needlenose pliers which was a less than elegant solution.

I totally agree on the RZ recommendation. I was able to pick up a RZ67 Pro II body plus 50, 65, 110, 150, 180 and 250mm lenses for under $1500. Combined with a Mamiya HX-701 adapter plate (modified) there's not even a need to get the Pro II D model. The lenses are wonderfully sharp with a nice rendition.