The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DF to RZ

MrDen

All i read here is false.
I've already used a P40+ on a RZ pro II, with a HX701 plate.
Non D model and it doesn't need the HX705.
So there is something that i don't understand...

PSon

i still can't see the point...
i have a DF... really mobile... but when i wants more movements, then i'm using a monorail in the studio... Arca M line two, arca F line 69... linhof...
The RZ is bulky, and does not have movements... what's the point ?
i probably miss something there !
For portrait works the monorail will not work especially without live view. More importantly, the Mamiya RZ glass has a look to them that my latest Rodenstock HR lens will not render.

PSon

For the dealers:
Please clarify this question: the Leaf, Mamiya, and Phase One adapters, will each of them be compatible with which digital back brands. For example, the Leaf adapter will it work on the Phase One digital backs and and if so which Phase One digital will work and which one will not work? The digital backs that I would like to know are: Hasselblad, Leaf, Mamiya, Phase One and Sinar. I think compatibility will be important to get this expensive adapter.
Thanks

MrDen

V is for Hasselblad
M for Mamiya/Phase One
C for Contax

You can use whatever backs on the Rz, it depends of the adapter plate.
You can use an HX701 for Leaf back and Phase One, on a non D version.
The 701 is also for the D version.
There is also Leaf plates for Leaf backs.
The HX705 plate... i still don't figure out why it's there.

Steve Hendrix

I think the posted part numbers might create some confusion, since Leaf and Mamiya have changed part numbers (not to mention branding) so many times I lost count. At one point, I started a KB article for our site that detailed the various combinations of RZ adapters and native interfaces and digital backs and ..... I never finished the page, it became such a convoluted mess I found incredibly difficult to compose the information in a legible format.

Here is what is for sure - the HX701, which is an electronic Mamiya Interface Adapter for RZ67, is still available, and can work on the Pro II-D RZ bodies, as well as Pro/Pro II. But with non-D, you'll need the $20 pc sync to mini cable for a Leaf Aptus, or the $58 pc sync to 8 pin cable for Leaf Credo/Phase One IQ.

With the Pro-II D, you'll have more transferrable metadata. I also don't believe you can trigger the Pro-II D camera from the host computer, via software, (like C1), although something in the back of my mind tells me I saw something recently that may have overcome that limitation. You've always had this option with the Pro/Pro-II bodies via motor drive cable.

The other interface option is the older interface adapters for RZ, which could have been branded under Mamiya or Leaf. These provided additional interface options for Hasselblad H and Hasselblad V, and was not electronic, so had to have the sync cable. I don't recall that a Contax to RZ was ever produced by Leaf or Mamiya (there was a version made by a Japanese vendor, but the name escapes me).

*HX701 - Mamiya Electronic RZ Interface Adapter for M645
- Leaf Credo/Phase One IQ (M645 native interface) on Pro-II D
- Leaf Aptus/Aptus-II (M645 native interface) on Pro-II D
- Phase One P/P+ (M645 native interface) on Pro-II D
- Leaf Credo/Phase One IQ (M645 native interface) on Pro/Pro-II and sync cable
- Leaf Aptus/Aptus-II (M645 native interface) on Pro/Pro-II and sync cable
- Phase One P/P+ (M645 native interface) on Pro/Pro-II and sync cable

*Mamiya/Leaf Branded Generic RZ Interface Adapters
(I have not attempted to use the above adapter with a Pro-II D and sync cable, so I cannot at this moment confirm that works without limitation).

- Leaf Credo/Phase One IQ (M645, Hasselblad H/V native interface) on Pro/Pro-II and sync cable
- Leaf Aptus/Aptus-II (M645, Hasselblad H/V native interface) on Pro/Pro-II and sync cable
- Phase One P/P+ (M645, Hasselblad H/V native interface) on Pro/Pro-II and Wake Up cable*

*There is also a Phase One RZ Interface for native Hasselblad V mount that will automatically wake the P/P+ digital backs.

Hasselblad and Sinar digital backs might also work with the above combinations, though each has made their own RZ Interface Adapters for their digital backs (Hasselblad with the iXpress and CF series).

If there's errors above or anyone has more to offer, by all means add it - there is not enough solid information about the DB to RZ situation.

***PSon - I agree on the wonderful way the RZ lenses render, but you didn't mention another nice feature of the RZ, the waist level finder. For many, that right hand on the focus knob and their eyes glued down just feels right - not anywhere near the same effect with a monorail camera...

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Has anyone done a side by side comparison between the RZ67 and the 645 AFD+?

It would be interesting to see how each system renders similar images.

MrDen

With the Pro-II D, you'll have more transferrable metadata.
I don't understand that.
With pro II (non D), you don't have the metadata registered?

You've always had this option with the Pro/Pro-II bodies via motor drive cable.
Never understood what this item was for.
I thought it was close from the winder, manifestly not?!

*HX701 - Mamiya Electronic RZ Interface Adapter for M645
- Phase One P/P+ (M645 native interface) on Pro/Pro-II and sync cable
You said it work with a P65+ , right?
I can confirme it work with a P40+
Will it work with a P25+ and a P45+ ?

*There is also a Phase One RZ Interface for native Hasselblad V mount that will automatically wake the P/P+ digital backs.
I read this too, but i don't understand.
The Old Phase One? The grey V mount?

If there's errors above or anyone has more to offer, by all means add it - there is not enough solid information about the DB to RZ situation.
So, why the HX705..?

So..
this: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/389586-post6.html
and this: www.getdpi.com/forum/392129-post22.html
is totally wrong!!!

Steve Hendrix

I don't understand that.
With pro II (non D), you don't have the metadata registered?
Limited, compared to the Pro-II D. I would have to test to see what fields fill in. I'm not sure exposure speed and aperture both make it into the metada with the Pro/Pro-II.

Never understood what this item was for.
I thought it was close from the winder, manifestly not?!
This cable plugs into the remote release port at the front of the camera and enables triggering from the computer keyboard when shooting tethered to a computer. Until recently, not an option (ironically) with the Pro-II D, but after I researched, I did find there is now a host capture cable for P+/IQ/Credo series digital backs that works with Pro-II D as well.

You said it work with a P65+ , right?
I can confirme it work with a P40+
Will it work with a P25+ and a P45+ ?
Yes, I listed them as working with that adapter in my previous post that you referenced.

I read this too, but i don't understand.
The Old Phase One? The grey V mount?
Any Phase One P/P+/IQ digital back in Hasselblad V mount would work with this adapter. However, the reason for the specific design of it is that it incorporates an embedded cable that serves as an automatic wake up signaler, which was essential with P/P+ digital backs (less so on the IQ digital backs, which have an option for shooting without a wake up).

So, why the HX705..?
Mr Den, you got me there, I didn't reference an HX705, and I did indicate confusion over the Mamiya/leaf part numbers and do not have a document with an HX705 designation, though I am suspecting this refers to the non-electronic RZ Adapter that featured several different interface options (Hasselblad H/V and Mamiya 645) that I described in my previous post (as non-electronic RZ Adapter).

I hope that clears that up for you.

I don't see anything wrong about the post 6 and post 22 you referenced - I just see that the information is not detailed and incomplete. That's why I expanded upon it in my post. Sheldon refers to possibly needing to dremel out the stud from the plate, but so far we have not found this necessary (it could be a specific model distinction (maybe only for Pro-II, not Pro?), otherwise, I have no ready explanation for the discrepancy).

Your welcome!

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

bensonga

Thanks for the information you've provided in patient and professional manner Steve.

I would have been tempted to reply to MrDen's comments "All i read here is false" and "So this...and this....is totally wrong!!!" in a less diplomatic fashion.

Gary

Last edited:

MrDen

Thanks for the information you've provided in patient and professional manner Steve.

I would have been tempted to reply to MrDen's comments "All i read here is false" and "So this...and this....is totally wrong!!!" in a less diplomatic fashion.

Gary
I read many things from people who are sure to be right, and they are not.
Only Steeve knows what he is saying, and is great in his informations, and i thank him for that.

Sorry, but i'm about to buy a digital RZ plate, and i was certain that i need the HX705, cause i got a PROII (non D), manifestly the HX701 is ok for this.
Make a big difference here.
People bought wrong items, because of all those comments, so sorry to be a bit hard, but it was legitimate i think.

MrDen

This cable plugs into the remote release port at the front of the camera and enables triggering from the computer keyboard when shooting tethered to a computer. Until recently, not an option (ironically) with the Pro-II D, but after I researched, I did find there is now a host capture cable for P+/IQ/Credo series digital backs that works with Pro-II D as well.
Do you have a reference for this cable?

Mr Den, you got me there, I didn't reference an HX705, and I did indicate confusion over the Mamiya/leaf part numbers and do not have a document with an HX705 designation, though I am suspecting this refers to the non-electronic RZ Adapter that featured several different interface options (Hasselblad H/V and Mamiya 645) that I described in my previous post (as non-electronic RZ Adapter).
I hope that clears that up for you.
The HX701 got the name on the upper corner right : Mamiya RZ PRO IID
On the HX705, you have nothing written on it.
That's why there is a big confusion.

Many think the 705 is for PRO and PROII, and 701 for PROIID (only).
The 705 is similar to the 701, physically in all points.
Disturbing.

I don't see anything wrong about the post 6 and post 22 you referenced - I just see that the information is not detailed and incomplete. That's why I expanded upon it in my post. Sheldon refers to possibly needing to dremel out the stud from the plate, but so far we have not found this necessary (it could be a specific model distinction (maybe only for Pro-II, not Pro?), otherwise, I have no ready explanation for the discrepancy).
Phase One say the same on their official site.
But i never encountered that.
I would be a bit disappointed if i take a HX701, and need to dremel it.
I still don't understand why some people need to do it.

Your welcome!
Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Thank you so much for your time and your precious precisions.
I'm not american, and many in the world can benefit of all these informations.
That's important for every RZ user.

Steve Hendrix

50300189 is the part number for the RZ host cable if you have a P+/IQ digital back.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

bensonga

I read many things from people who are sure to be right, and they are not.
Only Steeve knows what he is saying, and is great in his informations, and i thank him for that.

Sorry, but i'm about to buy a digital RZ plate, and i was certain that i need the HX705, cause i got a PROII (non D), manifestly the HX701 is ok for this.
Make a big difference here.
People bought wrong items, because of all those comments, so sorry to be a bit hard, but it was legitimate i think.
MrDen,

In your first post, you said everything you had read in this thread up to that point about the use of the HX701 and HX705 adapter plates on the RZ67 ProII and ProIID was false.

Much of the discussion prior to your initial post had been from people who actually owned these cameras, adapter plates and digital backs. Several of them reported that in order to use the HX701 on a RZ67 ProII (non-D) model it required a modification (see Sheldon's post here http://www.getdpi.com/forum/392129-post22.html).

Based on your experience using a RZ67 ProII (non-D) with HX701 and P40+, you claimed this information is not correct.

Note that Sheldon did not say a HX701 will not work on a RZ67 II non-D, but that (in his experience) it required a modification to work (otherwise, it interferes with the dark slide sensors). I assumed that your statement "this was false" meant you knew that a unmodified HX701 would work, because you had direct experience with one.

I wonder....are you certain that the HX701 on the camera you used had not already been modified to work on the RZ67 ProII non-D model?

I ask because you've said that you are now in the market to buy a digital back adapter for your RZ67 ProII non-D. If the RZ67 Pro II (non-D) with HX701 and P40+ that you tried was not your own, perhaps it had already been modified in the way that Sheldon described, without your knowledge.

That would explain much of the confusion. In which case, what Sheldon and others have said here is not false at all, despite your claims to the contrary.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

Well MrDen....when you determine if that HX705 adapter works on your RZ67 ProII, be sure to let us know. If it does, that might explain "what it is for".

My guess is the HX705 was first digital back adapter that Mamiya made for the RZ67 series of cameras, perhaps for both the original RZ67 Pro and the ProII (non-D).

Good luck.

Gary

Shineofleo

Sorry to dig this up. I have been researching to add an adapter plate for my RZ67PROII with the Leaf Aptus II 6, for quite a long time. Today I got the adapter plate HX701.

There were lots of confusion, and I think I can answer them very clearly now.

1. HX701 was originally designed for D-version of RZ67, and HX705 was designed for RZ67 non-D version. I got the HX701, because I think modifying HX701 is not hard, and this piece of (expensive) metal can be used in the future, if (big if) I get the D-version, while HX705 is equally expensive (but in my case, I got a cheap HX705), and can not be used with D.
  2. I can confirm that with original HX701, RZ67ProII can not trigger the shutter release.
  3. And yes, there should be modification, and yes, the dark slide sensor gets the way. HOWEVER, after I carefully observe the mechanics, I guess only one point need to be made on the plate, which is the one at the bottom (please see the previous picture for reference). When the dark slide is inserted and pulled out, there is a small ball will be moved around, which touched the sensor, and that's the only position will change. (Yes, I take the film back off, and press some tiny tricky traps so I can pull off the dark slide even the back is not attached to the body. And no there is no film inside.)
  4. So I tried. I used Dremel to drill the plate bit by bit, and put it back on the camera and tested. At first the red LED lit up, which means it sensed the dark slide (actually the adapter) is inserted. After several rounds at certain point, the red LED went off, which means I drilled deep enough, so the sensor would not be pressed by the plate. And now, with adapter on, I can release the shutter! with only 1 point modification! In fact the modification is tiny, much less than you would expected.

By the way, use the emergency shutter release, the dark slide sensor will not work anyway, but you only have 1/400 shutter speed. However it can work without battery. (The battery was long dead when I was testing, so it worked. Then I found some way to powered it to carry out above tests.)

So, I think this should help and make everything clear about the topic.

Leon

MrDen

THE answer..

K created an account just to help clear things up.

First, there seems to be two versions of the HX701 adapter plate. One with a notch and one without. I'm guessing the one without the notch is an older version and that's the adapter that needs to be modified as shown by Sheldon N in this picture.

And here's a picture of the two different versions (Thanks Google). I have the second version with the notch.

As for Phase One's site saying it...

"needs to be modified in a local Mamiya Center...Once this modification has been done - the camerabody cannot be used with a film cassette."

I believe what they are meaning is maybe the physical removal of the dark slide pins, which would disrupt the film functionality.

Sheldon N has shown instead, you can just simply dremel the adapter. This way it affects the body in no way and can still function with film backs without a problem.

I think this confusion and blurb on Phase One's site is intentional by the way. Not gonna get into this now.

Let me make this clear, YOU DO NOT LOOSE THE ABILITY TO USE FILM BACKS ON THE RZ WHEN GOING DIGITAL

Now back to the adapter plates...

There is the HX701 without and with a notch which I'll refer to as HX701v1 and HX701v2. And there is the HX705 adapter (It does exist, I have it). The HX701 adapters have contacts for use with the Pro IID. The HX701v2 can be used with the Pro II (non-D) WITHOUT modification but needs a sync cable. The HX701v1 can also be used with the Pro II (non-D) but needs to be modified as shown by Sheldon N, and also still require a sync cable. The HX705 should work with all RZ bodies with again a sync cable. Here's a picture of the HX705 (Notice same notch).

As for the digital back mount type, the HX70x adapters are all for M-mount digital backs. So for the Pro II (non-D), you should consider getting a digital back (M-Mount) that DOESN'T need to be woken up, e.g. Leaf Aptus II or Phase One P65+, so all that would be needed is one sync cable.

Now if you want to use a digital back that DOES need to be woken up, e.g. Phase One P25/P25+ or P45/P45+, then I think your best bet is using the Phase One adapter (item no. 70964) shown below.

Remember this would need a digital back with a V-Mount. This option uses both a wake cable and sync cable, so 2 cables. Also, this adapter doesn't allow for rotating the back. You must physically remove the back and re-mount the back in the orientation you want. Whereas the HX70x adapter plates still allow you to rotate the back (On a side note, before attaching the HX70x adapter plate to the body, you have to rotate the back first. So rotating with a digital back will now go counter-clockwise vs. clockwise with a film back).

Leaf also has adapter plates, but I believe it can only be used with their Aptus backs. To use with say the Credo, I believe it has to be physically modified. This option also needs a sync cable.

If you do not want the need for a sync and/or wake cable, then I'd say go with a Pro IID body, HX701 adapter, and an M-Mount digital back (There seems to be a battery drain issue with this though).

I have both the HX701v2 and HX705 adapter with a Leaf back and confirm that it works on the Pro II (non-D) body.

Long post, I need a drink...

Hope this helped clears things up.

Cheers,
W