The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Fuji GX680 shooters with MFDB?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I know it's a behemoth but I'm intrigued with the idea of shooting my IQ back with the Fuji system. Anybody shooting a MFDB with this outfit?

How do the lenses hold up? I would expect that it's all in the sweet spot of the glass due to the crop. How about finder masks, workflow etc?

FredBGG

Not Available
Hi Graham

I have the Fuji GX680 and have used it before with a digital back.
I just received a new adapter kit from kapture group and I will be using it with my
P25+.
I mounted the adapter just to see how it fit. It is really really well machined.
Absolute perfect fit. Rotates smoothly.

I will ask Keith if the communication box works with the IQ180. If so I will hook up with the Phase One rep
and test it out and send you a file.

Regarding masks kapture group will supply you with the mask for your sensor.

I have also done a test putting the Canon 5D mark II sensor behind the Fuji gx680 lenses. I know the 5D II is no match for the IQ180, but it does have almost the same photosite size so it will give you a good idea of what the lenses are capable of.

The Fuji gx680 lenses are really good lenses. I have shot with the Fuji gx680 form when the first version came out. Bought the first one in Europe.

Here is a film shot:

Fuji gx680 250mm 5.6 @ f8 or 11. One light on the model, and one light on the background. Scanned with the Epson v750

Crop from the same scan

I'll see if I can copy the posting here....

Last edited:

FredBGG

Not Available
I did a little comparison between my Fuji GX680 250mm f5.6 and the Canon 200mm F2.8L Mark II @5.6.

I used the Canon 5d Mark II for the captures. To capture the Fuji lens images I held the Canon 5D II behind the Fuji 680 body.

I expected the Fuji lens to be somewhat inferior as it is about 20 years old and has an image circle of about 200mm while the Canon has an image circle of 50mm

well it was quite interesting...

Here is a 100% crop (scaled down by Flickr) from the Fuji/Canon capture:

And here is the same from the Canon/canon capture

Quite amazing how well the Fuji compares, especially considering that the Fuji is shooting at full aperture while the Canon is shooting stopped down two stops ... at 5.6 that is it's best aperture.

Here are the full frames:

Fuji/Canon capture:

Canon/canon capture

See how the Bokeh on the Fuji is nicer and you get it already at 5.6. This is important to me as I like to shoot at slowish shutter speeds so that I can get some movement such as a dress or hair in the wind.

Then if you consider ontop of that the fact that if I was using the full frame I would be closer to the bush and would have even better bokeh on the background.

Throw in the higher dynamic range of film especially in the highlights and it's a formula that I like.

And one other thing. When running the images of the Fuji/canon and the Canon/canon through the JPEG compressor the Fuji lens files always came out larger indicating that there is more information in the Fuji lens images.

One thing that this test clearly indicates one interesting thing. If you consider that the Fuji lens when using the full 6x8 frame will be projecting about 6x more information..... well it indicated that for now only film gives you the opportunity to capture these large format images projected by these unique lenses.

Here is a diagram to show how little of the full frame the Canon was capturing:

Agnius

I was always intrigued with Fuji GX680 system, I have even rented it couple times for fun in the past, but I have been turned off by the sheer size/weight of the beast. Sure, Fuji sold a neck strap for it too, but I felt it was way too much to carry. I loved view camera style adjustments on it though!

S

Shelby Lewis

Is there a decent wide angle solution for the fuji (or is the image circle/shifts enough to do some decent stitching?)?

I've been really interested in this camera for quite a while as a a portrait camera with easy access to shifts/tilts.

FredBGG

Not Available
Is there a decent wide angle solution for the fuji (or is the image circle/shifts enough to do some decent stitching?)?

I've been really interested in this camera for quite a while as a a portrait camera with easy access to shifts/tilts.
Fuji gx680 lenses:

50mm
65mm
80mm
100mm
115mm
125mm
135mm
150mm
180mm
210mm
250mm
300mm
500mm

and the "Howitzer" the 100 to 200mm zoom.

Shift on the 50mm is a little limited with film as it has a bit of a tighter image circle than the rest. No problem though with a digital 645 back as the crop factor would leave heaps of room.

Here is is with the 50mm and a phsae back:

and here is the "Howitzer"

FredBGG

Not Available
It's a terrific MF film camera.

has one really nice feature that is a great safety in the digital age.

It has a sensor that measures the light bouncing back off the film and gives you a good exposure confirmation. If the exposure is off by more than a stop and a half it sounds an alarm. This is a good safety feature if you are shooting commercially on film.

FredBGG

Not Available
A bit off topic, but here are a couple of shots on expired film shot for fun...

Some were developed very aggressively to produce high grain.

Here is the rig....

S

Shelby Lewis

The more I look at this system... especially the 180/3.2 for faces, the more intrigued I am by it. I know it makes even my RZ set-up look tiny, but there is a large-format vibe I get from looking at this system that has piqued my interested. The massive crop by my digital back would mean the 180 would be quite the telephoto and still very fast.

The cost alone is compelling... but the great optics seem to make buying a small :)D) kit worth the attempt.

Body, 115/3.2 and 180/3.2 (maybe the 65 or 50)... nice kit for faces or for "backed up" 3/4-length work with ultra shallow DoF. T/S on top of that as well.

Very interesting.

pophoto

Hi Graham

Here is a film shot:

Fuji gx680 250mm 5.6 @ f8 or 11. One light on the model, and one light on the background. Scanned with the Epson v750

Crop from the same scan

I'll see if I can copy the posting here....
Drool..... Sorry, that was over an hour ago now, I'm back posting a reply to this, still drooling. I think this is the most standout shot that makes me want to join in the MF fun!

tnabbott

I had the GX680 (still have several lenses I am selling). Loved it! This system has everything the RZ has, but add more automation, tilt/shift, and as good glass. I only sold the kit I had on doctor's orders (as a remedy for my Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

FredBGG

Not Available
Quick test with a new lens 160mm 3.2 (second one for backup)

This was shot with the p25+ focusing on the dry leaves.

This was shot wide open iso50

100% crop

goesbang

Hi Graham,
I have been shooting with the GX680 (MKII) since 1995, at which time I bought a new system with 2 bodies and the 65, 125, 180 and 300mm lenses. At the time I ran a Leaf DCB2 digiback on it. It has since been used with my P25 (with Kapture Group adapter and sync box), P45+, P65+ and now with my IQ180.
When I changed from V mount to M645 mount, I bought the cheap Chinese adapter off eBay. It works fine and the backs with "zero latency" capability do not need the cumbersome Kapture Group sync box (Huge advantage).
This is far from a "do all things" system, but for jobs where I can work off a tripod or camera stand and I'd like some tilt/shift with moderate to long lenses, this is still my preferred system by a huge margin.
Optics are superb and with 6x4.5 sensors you are always in the sweet spot as these lenses were designed to cover 6x8. Fuji have always made superb lenses - remember the lenses for that obscure Swedish brand with the "H" mount? :)
Where possible, buy the faster lenses in the focal lengths where Fuji offered more than one max aperture. Apart from being optically superior, they are a damned lot easier to focus.
If you are buying MKII and not MKIIIbodies, it is simple to adapt the old batteries to become a battery adapter that accepts current Nikon batteries. I've described this earlier on this site. MK1 bodies can be very unreliable so be wary. BTW, after 17 years of high volume service (their first 7 years were in catalogue production, shooting 16 hours per day, 5 days a week), my kit has not once been in service. Impressive.
If you'd like to know what I use it for, all the food on my website was shot with it and so was a lot of the "people" work.
Best of luck!
Cheers,

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I had the GX680 (still have several lenses I am selling). Loved it! This system has everything the RZ has, but add more automation, tilt/shift, and as good glass. I only sold the kit I had on doctor's orders (as a remedy for my Gear Acquisition Syndrome).
Funnily enough I'm happy to carry the weight as I'm on Dr's orders to keep up my exercise regimen. :D i am however a lost cause as far as GAS is concerned!

Bryan: thanks for the information. So with an IQ I wouldn't need the KG box to fire the back? What about longer exposures?

danlindberg

I too have enjoyed the Fuji a good many years! In 1999 I was touring all over Andalucia in Spain, visiting no less than 60 national parks. In my bag was a very trusty Fuji GX 680 III and a 65, 150 and 250 Fujinon. I have shot hundreds and hundreds of rolls of film, but only one kind - Velvia.
The camera is still with me, but never used anymore. A pitty really.....maybe it is time to look into how to mount the Leaf on it!

JasonQuibilan

Sorry for the ignorant request, but what are the lenses available for this system and their FOV equivalent in 35mm. I'm fairly new to my MF system (Mamiya 645) and I still find it helpful to compare FOV's to 35mm. I'd also appreciate samples and suggestions for which lenses to get. I shoot mostly portraits, food and fashion, as well as some product.