The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What would you use?

rem

Hi all, I have this Friday a Shoot with a Actress. She is playing the main act from a new Film, starts in March in the Cinemas. I do the shoots for a magazine on different places where they shoot the film. A person from the magazine will be with us (Interview etc.). So far I have no more infos. I can take the Nikon D3, some lenses and I know, the people from the magazine would be happy. I would also take the chance to make picture they make also me happy and this speaks for my H4D-40!? So, would you take both systems (heavy). Would you risk to shoot with the Hassy alone. Tripod? I have no idea about the light... Taking the Hensel Porty with 1 head with me, or only a California Sunbounce Reflector? It would be pretty heavy the hole stuff and I'm maybe alone and maybe my girlfriend is helping... What would you do??? Thanks for your ideas! rem

Stefan Steib

REM

Use whatever you feel most comfortable with. The important part with portraits is the contact of the photographer to the model. If your concentration goes elsewhere because the gear needs your attention you loose that "something" that appears in the eyes and the gestus of the photographed person which shows there was communication between him/her and the Photographer. This makes the difference from a sharp and nicely lit image to great and appealing portrait !

regards
Stefan

rem

Thank you Stefan! I love my MF Gear and in the Studio, no question! I use the Hassy also a lot outside as a Snapshot camera, but till now I switched in such important situations back to the simpler way (High ISO, Aperture...). Rem

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
In my opinion it's like music. You have practice, rehearsals, and performances. You should only experiment with new gear+scenario combinations in practices, never in a performance.

I am a HUGE advocate for MF. If you have already shot several times in similar scenarios with MF and are completely comfortable with it then go for it - better image quality, more resolution and file flexibility, the look, the impression to the client, and unique abilities like high speed flash sync if you need it.

But if you've not shoot this equipment in this environment before I strongly encourage you to stick with what you've practiced and, if you're interested in exploring using your MF gear in the field then do so first in a practice environment (e.g. shooting your friend/family or a model who needs some portfolio shots but couldn't afford to pay you your normal rate).

I also would never willingly place myself in a situation where I was on an important gig more than 5 minutes from a source of a backup, without some form of backup in my bag. Depending on the situation, client, and your needs that could be as little as a G11 (it's by no means a "pro" body but in a crunch you could at least switch to manual exposure, raw files, and get the shot) or preferably your Nikon with a single lens, but it better be something. If you can't logistically carry the Hassy gear you want with at least a minimum backup then you shouldn't use it period (note this is not a dig at Hassy - I would say the same whether the primary camera was Hassy, Phase, Canon, Nikon or anything else; pro = backup camera).

As my music teacher always said "performances are terrible times to practice".

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

fotografz

Pay an assistant. If you are shooting an actress that's going to play a lead in a movie, they'll probably work for peanuts just for the experience and bragging rights (unless you are getting paid well, then they should get their day rate.)

A roller bag will solve most all transport issues. I have my H4D in a roller and put the Hensel Porty on top of it and away I go.

If I actually questioned use of the H4D/40 and Hensel Porty for a shoot like this, I'd sell both immediately ... it is exactly what that gear was made for.

Doug's right on about back-up. You need to take the Nikon anyway.

-Marc

David Schneider

I frequently used my dslr as back-up for many months when I was taking my H3d2-39 out of the studio. Pocket Wizard transmitter on each one and take a few back images with dslr. I did screw up a couple of times (did things like forget to move from manual focus back to auto focus with the Hassie) and the dslr images had to be used. It takes a while until you can automatically go through the mental check list of things you need to consider with a mf without think hard about it. It takes time to be able to visualize the difference in an image taken with 150 f2.8 on your mfd at f8 compared to your 85 on your dslr at f4, my point being even switching between dslr and mfd takes thought. I like Marc's idea of an assistant. Thing are backed-up and if you have a brain fart or something, you just grab your dslr gear from assistant until brain cells start functioning again or you figure it out.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line its not about you its about the client and what they deserve. You have no role in this but deliver the best you can. Welcome to commercial photography.

dick

Bottom line its not about you its about the client and what they deserve. You have no role in this but deliver the best you can. Welcome to commercial photography.
Sometimes it is worth giving the customer better that they deserve?... If the customer deserves "adequate" and you give them "excellent", it might lead to more work, better paid work, more interesting work?

Giorgio

Hi all, I have this Friday a Shoot with a Actress. She is playing the main act from a new Film, starts in March in the Cinemas. I do the shoots for a magazine on different places where they shoot the film. A person from the magazine will be with us (Interview etc.). So far I have no more infos. I can take the Nikon D3, some lenses and I know, the people from the magazine would be happy. I would also take the chance to make picture they make also me happy and this speaks for my H4D-40!? So, would you take both systems (heavy). Would you risk to shoot with the Hassy alone. Tripod? I have no idea about the light... Taking the Hensel Porty with 1 head with me, or only a California Sunbounce Reflector? It would be pretty heavy the hole stuff and I'm maybe alone and maybe my girlfriend is helping... What would you do??? Thanks for your ideas! rem
Hey Rem,
Bring whatever makes you feel comfortable.
But consider this make the photos that your client asks for and then take a moment to make some for you. Always over deliver.
I just had a similar assignment with a young actress in NYC shot being dressed by an American design duo. Afterward the actress came out into the street where the magic happened.
My kit was one H4D 40 lenses etc, one 1D MKIV 2 lenses, one ProFoto B2kit and one assistant. Worked out fine.

H4D 40, HC100

rem

So many thanks to all comments, you are great :thumbs:! So I think the main camera will be the Hassy, maybe with the 35-90 and of course the 80/2.8. Have not yet 100/2.2;-). Maybe also the 120er in the Bag and also the D3 with 24-70 and 70-200. The D3 will be the the backup and also if high ISO should be necessary. Then I will also take a Metz 45 CT 4 (old one) with me and in a Roll-bag the Hensel Porty, Head and Tripod. I think my Girlfriend is fine with that!;-) Yes, I try always to give my clients more than the expect. To shoot for a magazine is for me a bit new, its the 4. time for this, and sometimes you have really not so much time and I have no idea what the editors are seeing how other photographers working. And Marc, they do not really pay so much!;-)) But its always cool and opens doors. Marc (and maybe other Hensel Users, I have now the Profoto Air Remote and thats fantastic how it works with the Hensel! If you are interested, the link for the film is: Dällebach Kari Film | Die offizielle Webseite zum Film

rem

Thanks Giorgio!; Fred sure, the D3 will be the Backup. I have every time for a job a backup from the important things. On my last job for Audi in St.Moritz they had also a viedoteam and his camera on the tripod is falling down on the concrete. They had a day to find a replacement...:(
remo

fotografz

Knock 'em dead Rem!

Be sure to report back your experiences with pics and all that.

Go REM!

Best of luck, and the skill to take advantage of that luck!

-Marc

johnnygoesdigital

Try going to a local college or school that has a media dept. and ask for volunteers to assist on this shoot. It's a great way for students to gain experience. Bring both cameras...it's better to have them and not need them, then to need them and not have them.

rem

How I said, you are all great! ;-) And yes, of course I will report Marc! Johnny, the time is now to short and my Girlfriend does that tomorrow. Im really not sure, should I made it with the Beautydish or with a nice small, very practical Umbrella...;-)
Thanks! rem

johnnygoesdigital

I Would bring the BD if possible, or a 5 or 7 inch reflector with a grid. You can get good control of the spill of light with the gridded reflector, it's also much easier travel with.