The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Going RZ or RB?

JasonQuibilan

Hi!

I have a Mamiya 645 AFD III with a DM22 Back and I'm thinking of getting either a Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID or a Mamiya RB67 Pro SD to use with my DM22 Back. I do mostly studio work, portraits, food and products.

Before I make the purchase, can similar system users here give me their opinions about which is a better system, and what else would be necessary for me to use my existing DM22 Back on these. I'd also appreciate lens suggestions, and it would be great if there were sample images done in the same system.

Thanks for all the help!

Jason

MaxKißler

Hi Jason,

I think it is a matter of your own taste and preferance. Since you're using a Leaf Back there shouldn't be a difference in shooting comfort. As far as I know the Back can be attached to the adapter without the need of a wakeup cable. However I would apprechiate if someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

I own the RB67 Pro S and am very happy with it. Having tried the RZ I must say it feels somehow plasticky and cheap in comparison to the RB but this is my very personal opinion. As a matter of fact, they are both great camera systems and I will probably choose the RZ over the RB sooner or later. The latest K/L lenses of the RB are no different from the Sekor Z ones of the RZ. Only difference should be the mechanicly controlled shutter. They're excellent. Make sure to get the 140mm macro for portraits. ;)

Another reason to choose the RB is: It is damn inexpensive. Buy it and try it to see if either camera isn't too big and heavy for you or if using it feels uncomfortable. Be adviced, the old RB prism finder weighs about 1kg making a complete system weigh about 4kg.

I recommend thinking about the Fuji GX 680 for your food and product work too since this system allows movements. Let us know about your decision.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can use your RB lenses on the RZ body which was something I considered when I went for the RB.

Last edited: