The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase 65+ roll in future

gogopix

Subscriber
or 'role'!

Obvious question for me, now that the S2 is on order.

I haven't seen much discussion, so sorry for a new thread, but I've been out of it for several months.

I had not planned to upgrade since I have found the 250MB files of P45+ quite enough. However, the promise of higher ISO and smaller files plus option to go 59MP is tempting. That means I will do it.

Lance, are you running a waiting List?

Anyway, what does the group see as pluses and minuses? Except for the small issue of cost, it looks as if there is again a fair premium but with features I can use. In the recent trip I carried my P45+ on an ALPA TC with schneider 47 and 35mm. and also the M* with a bunch of lenses (it was a car trip!)

I was frankly frustrated with the TC/P45+ on the road. Compared to the Wales trip (I took the Contax and the TC only for WA 35mm shots) The iso limit, the difficulty in just leveling and the damn wires were a PITA. Looks good, sounds good, but my experience is; the TC ain't no travel camera!

It will sit home for landscape on a tripod and playing around.

However, in both the Wales and France secments I WAS impressed by the P45+ files. Great stuff esp for that extra 'digital telephoto' when you need It (I will post some examples)

On the last trip, growling thru WWI tunnels etc and at Pammery "crayeres' the M8 we sort of ok, but only for 'home viewing'

Really need a higher ISO (1600 fine) a fast lens and large format.

This means Contax 645, (crossing fingers they hold up at 59MP) but you know, I plan to use the P65+ in reduced res ISO mode on Contax then use the 59MP on the ALPA with Schneider for great high res landscape and cityscape.

What are other's thinking?

Will the P65+ satisfy my needs do you think (from what you've read?)

ANyway, thought there was room for a P65+ Phase discussion, since there are many Contax fans out there and it seems Leaf (maybe Sinar??) will be dropping Contax 645 backs.

best regards
Victor

PS I missed the crowd here these months. I am glad you remembered who I am!

PeterA

I will probably buy an Alpa Max and add it to my Alpa collection. I recently picked up a P45+ so I can use it on Alpa and on a Phase One body I bought to use Hasselbald FE.CFE series lenses on. The thing I have learnt is that of you want to get the most out of these big megapixeld backs - you need a tripod and fat light - natural or artificial - handholding is dicey.

re your view on latest and greatest phase back - I dont really 'need' one nor do I really fancy one - from any maker. Like you I have an order on for the S2 - but conditional on seeing actual results will have ZERO interest in it if it is priced as expensive as hasselblad Phase Sinar etc..

Lots of movement in MFD land with Hasselblad declaring price war on the rest. I am happy for you that you didnt buy a HD311-39 afew months ago (as I did) there goes 15K ( AUD) down the drain.

I dont liek being made ot look foolish - so in order to stroke my fragile ego - I guess I will make Hasselblad responsible for my foolishness in not reading the market as well as I could have or should have.But I am looking forward to their tilt shift device.

Recently picked up an RB mamiya kit to play with - initial results are hand held because I havent recieved tripod clamps etc yet..but am impressed with what old clunker can achieve with a Phase One back on it.

Good to see you back.

yaya

since there are many Contax fans out there and it seems Leaf (maybe Sinar??) will be dropping Contax 645 backs.

best regards
Victor
am!
Victor to be clear we are NOT dropping anything and backs for Contax, Mamiya, V and H cameras will still be in production as long as there are people wanting them, this includes the 56MP Aptus-II 10.

BR

Yair

gogopix

Subscriber
YAYA

Thanks for the clarification. I know several Contax owners who have good experience with Leaf backs (actually remind me of the rich color of Kodachrome).

Wayne

Yes, after 65's (and I don't mean MEGAPIXELS) that's the only 'sense' left!

Peter

There's no loss if you don't sell. :) Even Warren Buffet doesn't always buy at the bottom.

PeterA

Victor - ( for me) all this stuff is discretionary fun so my bother factor is about 3 minutes worth of wtf!! LOL

Buffet is a great marketer.