The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whats your "Landscape Kit" ?

Karlo

After something like a year without a medium/large format cameras I'm feeling the need and the burn in my wallet to get back into the MF section.

But so much has changed since the time I had a PhaseOne AF and some of mamiyas older lenses.
I'd like to hear from you about your Landscape kits, be it digital or analog, I am looking to get rid of my Leica gear and get a kit i'll be content with for at least a couple of years.
Lets say I had 7000$ to spend on a digital mf back, what would it be ?
If not , what lens/camera combo would you suggest if i'd opt to stick with analog photography ? ( I have a drum scanner at my disposal at my current place of employment so getting the most of my negs would not be a problem.)

Thanks in advance !

FromJapan

If you have a drum scanner at your disposal, a reliable supply of your favorite films and a professional lab (or you do your own processing), the best would be a 4x5 camera and two or three lenses. Your total cost would be $1500 tops, leaving you enough spare change for film, printing and traveling for a long time.

Kumar

Karlo

What gear would you suggest then ? I had experience with PhaseOneAF and a 500CM with digital backs what MF/LF gear would you recommend for film ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lets say I had 7000$ to spend on a digital mf back, what would it be ?
If not , what lens/camera combo would you suggest if i'd opt to stick with analog photography ? ( I have a drum scanner at my disposal at my current place of employment so getting the most of my negs would not be a problem.)
With $7,000 to spend, you are going to be pretty limited in getting a digital MF kit put together. Since you have a good scanner and film processing available to you, I would consider a decent 4x5 filed camera and 3 or 4 lenses, which you can probably assemble for half or $3500. 4x5 film still has a lot to offer if you have the patience to extract it.

OTOH, if you had $12,000 to spend, you could assemble a very decent MF digital kit: A used Aptus 33 or P45 back (~~ $8,000), then add a Mamiya AFD body and 4 or 5 lenses.

Shashin

For film?

Mamiya 6
Mamiya 7
Horseman SW612 or SW612 Pro (I really like the 55mm on that camera, but the 90mm and 135mm were great lenses too)

I loved my Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612. But I sold those and a bunch of other stuff and I am now using a Pentax 645D. There are things I miss about the Mamiya and Horseman, but I am having a great time with the 645D and don't regret the change.

BTW, I have not had my 645D for a year and just in film and film processing costs, I would have shot about $3800 worth of film for a Mamiya 6 or $7600 worth for a Horseman SW612 and I am really not shooting full time with the camera.

FromJapan

A Sinar F2/Toyo G monorail or a Wista/Toyo/Horseman field camera can be had for ~$400-600, lenses for ~$200-350 each. If you opt for a simpler camera like a Calumet or older Toyo you could get one for ~$200. LF hardware is incredibly cheap now.

Kumar