The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3 lenses for Technical camera and Phase One IQ 180

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you very much friends for your invaluable advices. These are information I cannot get anywhere else besides the GetDPi community.
I know Jack use RM3D which have built-in tilt and shift. Do the lenses in the focal length like 23, 28, 32,, 35, 40, 43 mm need TS if the camera is Cambo?
I truly appreciate your comments.
Pramote
If I were shooting a Cambo instead of the Arca, I would 1) get the same exact 4 lenses, and 2) would have every one in a TS mount that can be put in a TS mount. I think the 32 Rodie is the shortest lens you can get in Cambo TS mount.

FWIW, I did get a chance to shoot with the Cambo on our recent DV workshop. I had specifically asked for the 40TS lens so I could make a direct comparison to shooting the Cambo and my Arca. At the end of the day, I achieved perfectly focused and composed images with both systems inside one or two minutes. The main differences were that the Arca allows for more precise tilt and focus settings and holds them better than the Cambo. The Cambo is more compact and a little faster to initially set up and get general focus. My two main Cambo nits are 1) I hit the rise/fall adjustment knob with my right thumb as I grab the camera and it changes adjustment, and 2) you do not have a direct rise/fall or shift readouts from the rear of the camera. You do get direct readouts on the sides and top, and do have un-numbered hash lines from the rear.

Hope that helps,

gazwas

No love for the Rodie 90HR?

I've 43XL, 90HR, 120N.

The 90 is an amazing lens and the IC is huge. Great for stitches but its a bit of a beast and heavy for landscape work.

I tested the 43XL and 40HR and there was zero difference IQ wise between the two, both amazingly sharp but like Jack mentioned, flare was a real problem on the Rodie.... Real PITA!
Overcast skyes caused flare on the Rodie but the Schneider just soildered on. A lens shade is a must with that particular lens and more to carry on location... Worth mentioning I thought.

dchew

At risk of stirring the pot more, here is what I've settled on:
43xl, 70HR, SK150. But I like lenses a bit longer than most. As Doug pointed out, it depends on whether you are carrying another kit for the longer lenses, which I am not.

I have a 4th, the 100HR-S. But what I would really like as a 4th lens is a 110mm with a decent image circle.

Dave

archivue

using a 36x48 sensor... my lens kit is 28HR, 35XL, 45ASD, 55ASD, 90HR

but, if i want to upgrade to a 180, only the 55 and the 90 are up to the task !

i then will go probably with 32 rod, 60xl, 90HR

you can find the 90HR and the 55 apo sironar digital for a good price in second hand... they are all really good at F11 even on a 180, and they are nearly distortion free !

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Cambo mounted lenses available with TS are listed at the bottom of this page:
Cambo Wide :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

23HR is not available in TS. 28HR, 32HR, and 40HR are available in TS.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Cambo mounted lenses available with TS are listed at the bottom of this page:
Cambo Wide :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

23HR is not available in TS. 28HR, 32HR, and 40HR are available in TS.

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Damn I was wrong on the 28 my bad, sorry.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In answer to the 90 HR-W performance I'd have to rate it as probably as sharp as my 35XL on my IQ160. No problems with full range of movements on the IQ160 either and I pretty much don't need an LCC either. It is a big chunk of glass but it's very sharp across the whole image circle. I've not heard of any issues with it with the iq180 either.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Do 23HR, 28HR, 32HR need center filters?
Only Doug and Rob recommend 23HR. Does anyone has experience or opinion about this lens?

Thanks
Pramote

Guy Mancuso

Great lens very wide. Very limited movements 3mm rise and fall. Sharp , sharp, sharp. CF would help it but I shoot the 160 so on the 180 I would recommend it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Do 23HR, 28HR, 32HR need center filters?
Only Doug and Rob recommend 23HR. Does anyone has experience or opinion about this lens?
I've come to recommend center filters on every lens that has them. If you have a CF you can always take one off when you can't afford the loss of exposure (e.g. you're already at 1 minutes of exposure at dusk). But if you don't have a CF you can't easily put one on!

Use of a CF is most beneficial when using the outside of the image circle.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Paul2660

Guy, very nice shot. :)

Can you share, the shutter speed and aperture you used? Also did you have any polarizer in use on the shot?

Thanks
Paul

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Guy & Doug!
The picture is truly amazing Guy!
How is it compared to 28 HR and 32HR?
Can the pictures be stitched? I have Canon 17mm TS and love it.

Thanks very much!
Pramote

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
23 and 28 HR's do not have enough IC to flat stitch on a full frame sensor. The 32HR does have significantly more IC and can probably stitch cleanly to around +/- 12mm

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Jack & Doug! I can't imagine how much I've learnt in the past several hours.
Do you think 23HR and 40HR (or SK43) would be a good combination for wide angle side, 23 HR for a single short and 40HR for stitching? If you disagree, 28 HR is better?
I've thought about having Nikon D800e to use with tele along with the Tech Cam. I probably will keep P1 DF to be a stand alone system.

Thanks.
Pramote

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

23 and 28 HR's do not have enough IC to flat stitch on a full frame sensor. The 32HR does have significantly more IC and can probably stitch cleanly to around +/- 12mm
Exactly my friend. 12 was good on my 160 maybe a touch more. But let's be honest here these lenses like the 23,28 and even the 32. These are wide lenses and wanting to to stitch them would be very rare especially the 23 it's a equivalent to a 17mm on a 35 DSLR . That is really wide, more what i want out of these is rise and fall to get things OFF the horizon mainly, same with interiors. From my use the 23 will do 3mm the 28mm will do 6 or 7 and the 32 around 12mm in the rise and fall and for me that is my determining factor. A 28mm for me would eliminate my 35mm, so I would wind up with 28, 60 and 120. Now i am also fighting the money issue. The want here would be a 23 ,32, 60 and 120. The question I know Jack and I bounce off each other is how much use versus cost will we get out of the 23. Since you can stitch the 32 some with the back in vertical position you can do a two shot and gain some wider focal length. This I have not tried but again you have to stitch and that is always a concern with wind and such.

Guy Mancuso

Guy, very nice shot. :)

Can you share, the shutter speed and aperture you used? Also did you have any polarizer in use on the shot?

Thanks
Paul
I think I put a ND in front of it. I will check my shutter speed it maybe right there in the EXIF if you download it . My bet F11 or 13