The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ160 strobes not synching

J

jamie123

Ok, so the nice people at one of the local rental places were nice enough to lend me a Phase One camera with an IQ160 back and an 80mm LS lens over the weekend for free. So far so good.
I had a nice little portrait shoot so I rented a few strobes. Today I set up everything, metered the strobes with a light meter, shot off a few shots with my Canon as a test and then brought out the Phase One. I plug the sync chord into the IQ160 back and take a shot. Nothing happens. I think maybe the crappy Elinchrom strobes I'm using (I hate Elichrom!) don't don't work with the fast sync time so I set the camera to 1/100th. Still nothing. The strobes do fire and the camera does pick up the ambient light but it just seems like the strobes don't sync with the exposure.

What am I doing wrong here???

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so the nice people at one of the local rental places were nice enough to lend me a Phase One camera with an IQ160 back and an 80mm LS lens over the weekend for free. So far so good.
I had a nice little portrait shoot so I rented a few strobes. Today I set up everything, metered the strobes with a light meter, shot off a few shots with my Canon as a test and then brought out the Phase One. I plug the sync chord into the IQ160 back and take a shot. Nothing happens. I think maybe the crappy Elinchrom strobes I'm using (I hate Elichrom!) don't don't work with the fast sync time so I set the camera to 1/100th. Still nothing. The strobes do fire and the camera does pick up the ambient light but it just seems like the strobes don't sync with the exposure.

What am I doing wrong here???
plug strobes into the DF sync socket and not into the back.
-bob

J

jamie123

Thanks!

The PC-socket on the camera had the plastic lid on so I didn't even notice it. I've used Phase One backs before but always on Sinars or Alpas. First time working with the Phase One 645. Since there was no PC-socket on the lens I just assumed you had to use the one on the back.

Oh well, the available light was so much better anyways so I didn't miss the strobes much :)

FredBGG

Not Available
I think maybe the crappy Elinchrom strobes I'm using (I hate Elichrom!) don't don't work with the fast sync time so I set the camera to 1/100th.
Elinchromes have no problem syncing fast.

I can get 1/2000th of a second with a Canon 1DS and pocket wizards.

They sync no problem with Hasselblads at 1/800th and Fuji gx680 at 1/400th.

Elinchroms are amongst the finest strobes you can get.

I sonld my first packs 20 years ago to a friend that still uses them.

J

jamie123

Elinchromes have no problem syncing fast.

I can get 1/2000th of a second with a Canon 1DS and pocket wizards.

They sync no problem with Hasselblads at 1/800th and Fuji gx680 at 1/400th.

Elinchroms are amongst the finest strobes you can get.

I sonld my first packs 20 years ago to a friend that still uses them.
Yes, turns out it wasn't a problem with the strobes (although I already suspected that from the start as the camera didn't sync even at very slow speeds).

The issue I have with Elinchrom is simple. I think their modifier mount is damn near useless. I've used Elinchrom on a number of shoots and there's always a problem with the mount. Either it jams or it doesn't lock up correctly so that the modifiers fall off when you rotate them. I've never had any of these problems with Profoto or Broncolor.