The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I finally managed to get a MF Digital setup

Chris Giles

Thanks to all those who helped me find a digital back!

In the end I changed systems and went to Mamiya and grabbed Brians AFDIII, Aptus 22, lenses etc.

My initial thoughts are just how good the IQ is, it takes my 1Ds3, lifts it, slaps it about a bit, threatens to feed it to the pigs and leaves it as a weeping mess in the corner.

Everything else sucks though, and getting my head around the difference between the two bodies is a harsh thing for me. I don't consider the setup to be bad, more that I've been used to the convenience a 35mm DSLR has afforded me.

What is going to take a while to get used to is the AF points, I get one essentially, ok I can select the sides of the centre but still not fun. Other than the Pentax 645D a centre point seems common in Modular MF systems and I have to wonder why it's still this way. I shoot wide open most of the time so focus is critical and I do headshots mainly and the eyes are my focus point not the nose!

The other, is ISO performance, great up to and including 200, 400 is bad unless you have a fast shutter...but then I'd use a lower ISO - Catch22.

Long term I'm probably going to get a P25+ just for the pixel binning. I can see myself needing to use ISO 400 more often than not.

The lenses, well, online photos don't do them justice, I've the standard 55, 80 and 150. Compact and solid and feel better built than my L glass costing twice as much. It's difficult to guage IQ because the sensor is different but I'm happy with them. I've just bought the 75-150 and once I know what focal length I prefer for headshots I'll either get the 110LS of the 150D. Possibly the 110.

I've a point I would like to raise though. I'm so impressed with the IQ that if it had ISO3200 and dual card slots I would use this for weddings in a heartbeat. I have to wonder why since 2004 the only improvement to this particular sensor has been Phase's addition of pixel binning. I don't need more than 22mp but I need high ISO, we've 80mp backs with ISO3200 so I can't see why we don't have it in the 22 other than for marketing reasons.

I would pay a considerable amount of money to have a MF look to my wedding photos!

djonesii

Workshop Member
Welcome to the dark side .....

Just abandon all hope now. MF has never been as simple as 35mm which in turn has never been as simple as P&Shoot! Having done some 4X5, I shutter to think what it would take to do 8X10 on wet plate.

Your experience exactly echos what I saw in moving from D300 to Mamiya AFD. I moved to a crop sensor P30+ to get speed all around ( ISO/Capture rate)

Yep, the MF look is really a true thing.

Dave

johnnygoesdigital

At first this thread reads like a review before a purchase...:) You'll like the Aptus 22 and it should be perfect for weddings specifically with controlled lighting - great tones. I'm not sure the Phase One P25+ does pixel binning, but a great DB nonetheless. The learning curve with MFD is not rocket science either, and you'll be shooting great pics in no time. You'll be quite impressed with the difference in IQ. Your last comment though, is slightly confusing because it sounds like you did just spend $ to get the MFD look for weddings. Perhaps the Nikon D800e might be a good addition for you too.

Last edited:

Chris Giles

At first this threads reads like a review before a purchase...:) You'll like the Aptus 22 and it should be perfect for weddings specifically with controlled lighting - great tones. I'm not sure the Phase One P25+ does pixel binning, but a great DB nonetheless. The learning curve with MFD is not rocket science either, and you'll be shooting great pics in no time. You'll be quite impressed with the difference in IQ. Your last comment though, is slightly confusing because it sounds like you did just spend $ to get the MFD look for weddings. Perhaps the Nikon D800e might be a good addition for you too.
I bought it for headshots and general portraiture but I do almost 50 weddings a year. I'm often shooting at ISO 3200, 1/60 second, F2.8 because here in the UK we REALLY don't get much sun at all. I shoot reportage mainly so not much setting up lighting wise either, other than the reception and meal. Dark churches and winter weddings demand a higher ISO.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The P25+ does NOT have any form of pixel binning and (though I would rate it as performing 0.5-1.0 stops better than the Aptus 22 in overall ISO performance).

Phase One Tech Info :: Capture Integration

Just a pitch here that going through a good dealer would have prevented you from being caught off guard by the end results.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Chris Giles

Ah sorry Doug, I thought that was what the + meant. I'd get something like an 11mp file in exchange for ISO800.

Edit: What does the + mean as the above link states the Phase P25 (Non +) is ISO 800 too?

gazwas

Edit: What does the + mean as the above link states the Phase P25 (Non +) is ISO 800 too?
Pixel binning (sensor +) is only available on P40+ generation and up. Its a really great but underrated feature IMO.

The + on the older generation backs gave them slightly cleaner higher ISO (originally only up to ISO400 on non +), expose + for londer max exposure time, a better screen and tethered live view. That was main differences I think.

b&w

Thanks to all those who helped me find a digital back!

In the end I changed systems and went to Mamiya and grabbed Brians AFDIII, Aptus 22, lenses etc.
congratulations!

I am still working analog in MF, because I am not willing to sell a kidney for a digital back :D

Shashin

Welcome.

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal about the expense. Just by skipping one $5 Latte a week, you could save up for an MFD system. If you start when you are eight, you can buy it when you retire at 65.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Imagine skipping 2 lattes a week. LOL

Seriously compared to other hobby's this is cheap. Go buy a boat and find out. LOL

Sheldon N

Congrats!

I've just done the same thing you have, been shooting the 1Ds III for several years now and finally got an Aptus 22 back from a forum member here. I'm shooting mine with an RZ67 kit, but you are right that the files are just stunning. My 150mm f/3.5 lens wide open is sharper than my 85 L II stopped down. :)

I don't think the expense was that bad, the whole kit was cheaper than a 1Ds III plus one lens.

b&w

Welcome.

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal about the expense. Just by skipping one $5 Latte a week, you could save up for an MFD system. If you start when you are eight, ...
What a good time... At the age of eight I don't want to get in MFD. I used a Kodak Instamatic - and it was good enough :ROTFL:

Mike Dote

Welcome to MFD. I shot primarily with a 5d2 before I made the leap to the Aptus 22 and I can say that it is absolutely great for shooting with.

FredBGG

Not Available
The other, is ISO performance, great up to and including 200, 400 is bad unless you have a fast shutter...but then I'd use a lower ISO - Catch22.

Long term I'm probably going to get a P25+ just for the pixel binning. I can see myself needing to use ISO 400 more often than not.
Try using Nik Software's Dfine plug-in for noise reduction.
You will be quite surprised by the result.
The Aptus 22 has no AA filter so you have a sharper native image and less is lost whe using a noise reduction software.

The Aptus 22 is a very nice back. Great quality and excellent skin tones.

If you like shooting wide open you should consider the Hasselblad 110mm f2 with an adapter. It's such a great lens. Sharp yet sort of gentle at the same time. It's the noctilux of MF.

I have the P25+ and have used the Aptus 22. The quality is very close. The P25+ is a fair bit better for long exposures. The rest is very similar.

Now you need to go and get a film back for your MF. Portra 160 and Portra 400 have a great look for weddings.

Check out these guys: Twin Lens Life ~ Fine Art Film Photography ~ Los Angeles Southern California ~ Bwright Photography

yaya

Chris, welcome to the Mamiya Leaf family!

I would recommend registering your back with us so that you can get regular updates about software etc.: Mamiya Leaf Support

just a note to say that the P25+ and the Aptus 22 use two totally different sensors from 2 different manufacturers.

One of the advantages of the Dalsa sensor (Aptus 22) is the faster capture rate, much faster especially if you shoot tethered. Other (arguable) advantages are better colour, better sharpness and better resistance to colour cast (more relevant for tech cameras)

Phase One tried pixel binning on the early P25 and binned it shortly after. At the time the quality just wasn't there

Enjoy!

Yair