Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: More fuel for the 'D800 as good as MF' fire

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More fuel for the 'D800 as good as MF' fire

I'm torn as to if I should upgrade my D700 to the D800 or the D800e, and also upping my D3s to the D4. Each has its own separate purpose in my "aresnal" but for landscapes, I will be sticking with my Cambo.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    IWil be interesting to see how big the differences are. And if there is not much difference at all (which I actually secretly hope) then my MF gear simply can go, as I do only have it fro landscape work and absolutely have no need to mount my back on a tech camera - nor do I have any intention to go that way.
    Lenses would of course play a huge role in any comparison. So you would have to decide if you are comparing just sensors or whole systems.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people are hoping the AA-less D800E will be a kind of "magic bullet". I am certainly one of these people, although the right side of my brain determines It'll leave me wanting... The proof of the pudding really will be in the final prints and if detail and printed colour fidelity using Lambda or LED printing technologies is the main concern, I doubt 40mpx MF would offer any significant performance difference up to 20 x 30". The aesthetics of how the lenses etc draw in relation to the larger format will be a different story. Personally, I love how MF renders depth and would find it hard going down from 6x7cm film to 35mm digital, let alone to 645, but considering I'd crop the 35mm frame to 645 dimensions I'd much prefer the DMF experience I think. If only the cost of entry weren't so high!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Just look back a few years...

When the 24.5 MP sensors came out... did they replace medium format?

Sure people decided to shoot with those 24.5 MP cameras, but they did not take over medium fornat and many photographers continued to get better results with 22 MP MF cameras and the 24.5 MP 35mm DSLR cameras did not take their place.

Why would a 36MP 35mm DSLR all of the sudden change everythings.

Medium format is not just about linear resolution. It's about what happens when an image is crammed down into a small space and then blown up twice as much, regardless of the capture medium.

I shoot portraits, beauty and fashion. larger formats just look better. They have more depth and a more sculpted look. Hair is totally different. It just has more body.

Then you have the highlights and shadows. While some smaller sensors have overall dynamic range they just do not have the same shadows and highlights of MF.
    You only have to push the curves around in photoshop to see how MF files at 16 bit are so much better. But even if you convert to 8 bit.... surprise surprise the MF files still have more robust shadows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My view is that D800/E will most likely be a much better body for my Nikon lenses. Will it be so much better that I won't be tempted to morgage my house and invest 4x more in MF? Probably.

In the end it's all about money.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a case study that shows how from one subjective perspective, the d800 "rivals" medium format.

I'm a refugee from large format, with all the attendant baggage and expectations, who has gone small because of cost (I moved to color from b+w, and on my artist's budget, can't afford $5 a click for film) and efficiency (I've fallen in love with the digital work flow. I'd rather get my work done than continue martyring myself for weeks at a time in the darkroom).

MF digital would be the obvious choice for me, and I do seriously lust over a technical camera, a PhaseOne back, and a lockable suitcase packed with state of the art German glass.

Alas, it will be sometime in the next century before I can afford such a setup.

So the question becomes, what solution exists within my means that can give the results I'd like?

I've downloaded and printed several sample images from the d800. I've done them at scales ranging from 13x19 to 4x7 feet. A lot of this was driven just by curiosity; my work will be printed mostly 30 inches and smaller.

The quality of the prints is indeed startling. Is it as good as from a $30,000 PhaseOne back? I haven't had the privilege of comparing, but I think it's safe to say: no way. I have some understanding of the physics and the physiology of vision; I've seen the MTF curves of the Schneider and Rodenstock digital lenses.

But the prints are still way beyond anything I've ever imagined coming off a small sensor or small piece of film. They're at least as good as anything I've seen come off of medium format film. In terms of certain qualities, the results are better than my darkroom prints from 4x5 (but not as good as prints from scanned 4x5 negs).

In other words, it's not quite as good as the best or even the typical MF digital. But it's in the same room now. It opens up options that used to be purely the realm of MF digital, and makes them available at a tenth the cost.

To make up some meaningless numbers, I'd suggest that the d800 gives 75% what high end MF can give, for 7 to 10% the cost. This will be attractive to a lot of people.

Those like me will find this camera a perfect solution for the time being. And those already invested in MF digital might find it a good, lightweight supplement, for about the price they're used to paying for a lens cap.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I set myself up recently to have both. Tech cam with 60mpx back 3 outstanding lenses yes I am choking on what they cost. Than I will have a pretty good Nikon setup . Now the only hope I have is the Nikon will pass for most client work not all but a decent chunk of it. The rest is my tech cam. I went from supporting three systems to two. Let's hope this works but all I wanted was to get somewhat close and reason why I jumped back in was the 36mpx at least I can deliver big. But I know my Phase will smoke it at any given minute. I don't have any false hopes just needs to fill and best costs to get there. It's not MF it never will be but if it can deliver better than any 35 system out there than we win. It's pretty simple logic.

I'm betting on Nikon to pull this off. It's a risk but a least costly one and a easy oh **** it is not working and sell it back off. The word hedging comes to mind. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The HUGE plus for Nikon is we can rent dirt cheap and easily
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be very interested in seeing a comparison of moderate sized prints, like 13x19 to 20x24, side by side from a d800 and a high end MF. Both made with equal skill and care.

I think that would be very interesting. Huge prints, not so interesting ... we can probably predict those results easily enough.

But I'd like to address some of the comments of the "there's more to MF than resolution" variety. I think it's those areas where small cameras are making the biggest gains. Take a look at the DXOmark scores for the PhaseOne IQ180, P45Plus, and the Nikon D3X. The D3X leads in everything but resolution (last place) and color depth (2nd place by 7%).

It's remarkable that the D3X is the dynamic range champion of all tested digital sensors Especially considering that unofficial tests show the d800 besting it by over half a stop. I'll be curious to see the real world results.
    Last edited by paulraphael; 12th March 2012 at 13:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my issue with DXO and always has been reason I think it is not great data it takes nothing in account for the raw processing and what theses programs can dig out of the raw data. To me it is incomplete data. I know for Phase for instance so much is coming out of the software for its own files that how can we truly say DXO ratings are a real world numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree it will come down to the printed piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone thought to send PhaseOne raw files to Bill Claff so he can analyze using his algorithms?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It be nice to have a updated C1 ready to go on delivery of these cams for sure. I'm hoping this is going to happen fast as I hold my breath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Imaging Resource has D800 images available in case anyone wants to keep this thread going . I did a quick comparison to the 645D - very close but the 645D is clearly better in the fabric swatches IMHO.

Tom

Nikon D800 Camera Samples - First Shots

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Imaging Resource has D800 images available in case anyone wants to keep this thread going . I did a quick comparison to the 645D - very close but the 645D is clearly better in the fabric swatches IMHO.

Tom

Nikon D800 Camera Samples - First Shots
    HI Tom,

I too made the same comparison and agree that on the left side of the images I compared, detail in fabric was clearly superior with the 645D. With that said, I did notice that with regards to the right hand side of the image, it was a virtual tie between the two cameras. I'm not sure if this was due to each camera/lens being slightly different in how "square" it was to the image being taken or possibly the lens performance on one of the cameras. I wish whatever differences were observed was uniform across entire field.

What I also noticed in certai n parts of the image, was there appeared to be somewhat more dimensionality with regards to the 645 D and more flatness with the D800, but again this wasn't always appreant throughout the image.

Still impressive performance with the D800 and a comparison with the D800e would be interesting.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=tsjanik;398666] I did a quick comparison to the 645D - very close but the 645D is clearly better in the fabric swatches IMHO.

Tom

I actually saw the same, mostly in the light color fabrics. ACH

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The other interesting thing about the comparison is the 645D shows moire in one of the bottle labels. I guess the AA filter on the Nikon is working.

It is interesting how the color is different between the two cameras. But being JPEG images it is hard to judge accuracy, but the 645D seems to give more separation and depth to the colors. And the texture goes beyond the fabrics. You can clearly see texture in the oil bottle label in the 645D image.

I did notice the focus or the focus plane may not be the same. The reproduction scale/calculator on the right does not appear as sharp in each image.

The Nikon image is impressive, but it is not the same. How important the differences are is very debatable. What this test does not show is how the images would change with equal angel of view--the test uses 75mm on the Pentax and 70mm on the Nikon would give different angles of view and object distances. Given the same angle of view, same object distance, same aperture, it would be interesting to see the difference as the entrance pupil would be giving an advantage to the 645D, which is something that, for me at least, is an advantage to larger formats.

I think the Nikon is going to be a fine camera and a lot of photographers are going to benefit from it. Now they have something that can finally fill up their hard drives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    HI Tom,

..... I did notice that with regards to the right hand side of the image, it was a virtual tie between the two cameras. I'm not sure if this was due to each camera/lens being slightly different in how "square" it was to the image being taken or possibly the lens performance on one of the cameras. I wish whatever differences were observed was uniform across entire field.......

Dave (D&A)
    Dave,

I think the 645D image is out of focus on the right side. The proportional scale is not crisp, but if you look at an object closer to the camera, e.g. the white fabric under the black cup just below the scale, it's razor sharp at the near end and less so at the far.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually looked at the new Canon 5d3 jpegs and they where horrible. We all know that will not be the case. After that I gave up comparing anything to it until we get units in hand and same raw processing software to compare against others. The Pentax 645 will hold it's own here for sure. We have to remember we have realistic people and people who have no idea what they are looking at. I read a lot of comments so far and I'm scratching my head with the comparisons , noise and the biggest topic 8 out of 10 times is noise at ISO 6 million. Sorry I just had to get that one off my chest. WTF. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm scratching my head with the comparisons , noise and the biggest topic 8 out of 10 times is noise at ISO 6 million. Sorry I just had to get that one off my chest. WTF. Lol
    Some day the ISO will reach a point you will no longer have to remove the lens cap.

But folks disgusted at noise at really high ISOs are a bit of a mystery. Photography is light dependent, not plagued by it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    ..........The Nikon image is impressive, but it is not the same. How important the differences are is very debatable. ................I think the Nikon is going to be a fine camera and a lot of photographers are going to benefit from it. Now they have something that can finally fill up their hard drives.
    The ISO 100 files from the Pentax look better to my eye, but the differences are subtle. The question this raises for me is the Pentax 25mm worth 5k, since for the same cost you can get the D800 with the 14-24mm?
    Of course, the Pentax is a full frame lens should a 645DII follow.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The ISO 100 files from the Pentax look better to my eye, but the differences are subtle. The question this raises for me is the Pentax 25mm worth 5k, since for the same cost you can get the D800 with the 14-24mm?
    Of course, the Pentax is a full frame lens should a 645DII follow.
    Only you can tell. The Nikon is a 3:2 camera and you would then be carrying two systems--to some that is not an issue, to others it is.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I think the 645D image is out of focus on the right side. The proportional scale is not crisp, but if you look at an object closer to the camera, e.g. the white fabric under the black cup just below the scale, it's razor sharp at the near end and less so at the far.

Tom
    Tom, that's what I meant when I said it appeared that the 645D might not have been squared to the entire image, giving rise to a sharper left hand side relative to the right side. If that was the case, the level of detail captured with the 645D would be convincingly superior.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

So with all this hype about the D800, am I mad to be considering buying a Canon 5DIII?

22MPix seem like a much more manageable file size for the jobs a 35mm DSLR usually shoots and don't Canon do better video?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let me ask you a question. I can bet 100 bucks on the answer too. Did you ever return a TV that was too big. ROTFLMAO

I should give credit to our member Joe Ramo's for that one. He is a professional high end audio/video installer.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would return a TV that was too big. Simply because it was too big.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I've got a 1DSIII and for the type of stuff I shoot with it (Product knock outs for web, packaging) I've never needed more resolution than 21MPix but it doesn't shoot video. For the big gun stuff, I just use the Phase.

Additionally, clients have started asking me more and more for (very simple) video as a tag on the the photography and the new Canon seems ideal.

So is it true, Nikon don't do video very well or will this new camera change all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Only you can tell. The Nikon is a 3:2 camera and you would then be carrying two systems--to some that is not an issue, to others it is.
    Shashin, I already use three systems: a K5 for times the 645D isn't practical and my only fisheye is on a Pentax 67II film camera! The fact that Pentax has continued full frame D FA lenses may indicate they expect to have a full frame 645 in the future and that would be a significant motivation to choose the 25mm. I think Pentax learned a lesson when they changed their 35mm lens line to APS-C and are now stuck with the smaller sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Tom, that's what I meant when I said it appeared that the 645D might not have been squared to the entire image, giving rise to a sharper left hand side relative to the right side. If that was the case, the level of detail captured with the 645D would be convincingly superior.

Dave (D&A)
    Dave:

Yes, I understood. Aligning the sensor to a flat subject is not trivial, although I would think that IR would have it down to a routine. I learned that when I was testing the 645D lenses with images taken of a bookcase; I finally arranged books at various depths to check for focus or alignment issues

Tom
    Last edited by tsjanik; 16th March 2012 at 12:38. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulraphael View Post
    Here's a case study that shows how from one subjective perspective, the d800 "rivals" medium format.

I'm a refugee from large format, with all the attendant baggage and expectations, who has gone small because of cost (I moved to color from b+w, and on my artist's budget, can't afford $5 a click for film) and efficiency (I've fallen in love with the digital work flow. I'd rather get my work done than continue martyring myself for weeks at a time in the darkroom).

MF digital would be the obvious choice for me, and I do seriously lust over a technical camera, a PhaseOne back, and a lockable suitcase packed with state of the art German glass.

Alas, it will be sometime in the next century before I can afford such a setup.

So the question becomes, what solution exists within my means that can give the results I'd like?

I've downloaded and printed several sample images from the d800. I've done them at scales ranging from 13x19 to 4x7 feet. A lot of this was driven just by curiosity; my work will be printed mostly 30 inches and smaller.

The quality of the prints is indeed startling. Is it as good as from a $30,000 PhaseOne back? I haven't had the privilege of comparing, but I think it's safe to say: no way. I have some understanding of the physics and the physiology of vision; I've seen the MTF curves of the Schneider and Rodenstock digital lenses.

But the prints are still way beyond anything I've ever imagined coming off a small sensor or small piece of film. They're at least as good as anything I've seen come off of medium format film. In terms of certain qualities, the results are better than my darkroom prints from 4x5 (but not as good as prints from scanned 4x5 negs).

In other words, it's not quite as good as the best or even the typical MF digital. But it's in the same room now. It opens up options that used to be purely the realm of MF digital, and makes them available at a tenth the cost.

To make up some meaningless numbers, I'd suggest that the d800 gives 75% what high end MF can give, for 7 to 10% the cost. This will be attractive to a lot of people.

Those like me will find this camera a perfect solution for the time being. And those already invested in MF digital might find it a good, lightweight supplement, for about the price they're used to paying for a lens cap.
    +1

but I think we only can tell finally once we have access to real RAW files.

Post Thanks / Like

A fascinating video interview...

A month with the Nikon D800: Exclusive interview with Jim Brandenburg | Video product reviews | What Digital Camera

Jim Brandeburg is pretty clear on what he thinks. He's not the sort of guy who hangs out here (rarely uses MF or 4x5 and never uses a tripod) but it's clear he knows the territory...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like a lot of us, I am always looking for the best gear, yet I am truly amazed at how long this thread has gone on, on this and other forums. Without a side by side comparison of the same set-up shot at the same time with both the D800/E and some MF digital, the discussion is all fog. We should be out shooting, enjoying our work and when a test is available, use the results to decide if we want that third mortgage.

Lars Vinburg is right, it comes down to money. If you are an enthusiast buy what you need and can afford. I made the decision recently to start an MF digital kit instead of sending my son to his 3rd year of college (just kidding Max). The first images are truly amazing. Would they amaze a client more than the images from my D3s? Unless the client is an art director or a connoisseur of photography, I doubt it.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kind of need a D800 to do that. Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiting

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of need a D800 to do that. Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiting
    Me too... I ordered a D800E from Park Cameras here in the UK within the first hour of their putting the pre-order banner on their website on 7th Feb and I learn from them that I am unlikely even to get one of their first batch...

In the meantime having fun with the NEX-7.

There sure are a lot more pixels around than there used to be...

Post Thanks / Like

After all my knowledge and all I heard about the D800 / D800E I cannot wait to finally get my D800E

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No matter how you dice it, those are impressive scores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    No matter how you dice it, those are impressive scores.
    Indeed. The High ISO mark is especially impressive.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive scores indeed. I expected the D800 to score much lower than the D4, but .....

I never had thought it would even score higher (or at least in same league) than the IQ180

Really overwhelmed for now!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, this is going to be a game changer... to think that it has effectively the same resolution as a P45+ but with stonking high ISO performance, better DR and colour depth and, err, live view.

Yum. Yum yum yum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My impression so far is it's a game changer for the DSLR market for sure. It's only been a partial day of shooting mine, but I don't see an MF killer yet. I definitely like this camera, it's put some "love" for the DSLR back in my life and I can see I'm going to want a broader stable of glass than I originally thought I would. But my IQ180 is not in jeopardy
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Without having one (d800eon order) I can't be sure but I think I agree. I think I'm likely to sell all my Canon stuff, my m9 (keeping the glass) and all my other accumulated cameras in a spring clean leaving me with IQ180, D800e and NEX-7. Each overlapping in purpose to some extent.

Manage with just three cameras? Me?
    We'll see! The reformed gear slut may prove hard to reform!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    My impression so far is it's a game changer for the DSLR market for sure. It's only been a partial day of shooting mine, but I don't see an MF killer yet. I definitely like this camera, it's put some "love" for the DSLR back in my life and I can see I'm going to want a broader stable of glass than I originally thought I would. But my IQ180 is not in jeopardy

Concur its really nice but my IQ 160 is not on the block. I will say it has closed some gaps though.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some have called the D800, "the least expensive medium format digital camera". The simple fact that its sensor scores better than than the IQ180, in certain areas, is brilliant! The price to quality ratio is astounding, and leaves no question - From battery performance to weather - sealing, this camera is going to redefine certain photographers choices. It's long awaited and refreshing to finally have this kind of quality at this price! Although, I shoot with tech and medium format cameras, the D800, is a welcome addition!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One has to wonder what Sony's implementation of this sensor will be - NEX 9?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Some have called the D800, "the least expensive medium format digital camera". The simple fact that its sensor scores better than than the IQ180, in certain areas, is brilliant! The price to quality ratio is astounding, and leaves no question - From battery performance to weather - sealing, this camera is going to redefine certain photographers choices. It's long awaited and refreshing to finally have this kind of quality at this price! Although, I shoot with tech and medium format cameras, the D800, is a welcome addition!

In some ways far exceeds MF but I'm also spoiled like crazy with a tech cam that has the best lenses around and amazing files. So i'm going to be one of those really hard to please guys but for the majority of D800 users they have no idea what I see coming off the tech cam files. So those folks have really upped there files and they will love it. But as many MF shooters know folks will need to up there game on technique as well. If we can all go out and shoot with a 40mpx mindset it will help there cause. Frankly I think this is awesome that people will not be able to just shoot but actually start thinking on what the hell they are doing.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Concur its really nice but my IQ 160 is not on the block. I will say it has closed some gaps though.
    Coming from the "having neither" camp, I'm looking at this afresh.

Since it may be a year until I can spring for the IQ160, an 800E and Schneider PC lens is looking like a good landscape/architecture kit. If the RAW files can be pushed around without shadow noise or banding in any way resembling the Phase's, I'll give it a go.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Guy should make to sample shoot with iq and d800, so we can see the diffrence and stop guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

So i'm going to be one of those really hard to please guys but for the majority of D800 users they have no idea what I see coming off the tech cam files. So those folks have really upped there files and they will love it. But as many MF shooters know folks will need to up there game on technique as well.
    It sounds perfect to me. Coming from large format (and leering at MF digital) I know that it won't represent the best quality possible. But it looks like something that's going to give me the quality I need for most of my projects, at a price I can afford.

As a bonus, it's capable of all these über-dslr things that I don't need but that make for a really fun toy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Without having one (d800eon order) I can't be sure but I think I agree. I think I'm likely to sell all my Canon stuff, my m9 (keeping the glass) and all my other accumulated cameras in a spring clean leaving me with IQ180, D800e and NEX-7. Each overlapping in purpose to some extent.

Manage with just three cameras? Me?
    We'll see! The reformed gear slut may prove hard to reform!
    Not sure what you've got invested in Canon, but selling it all off just to get the D800 now might be a little short sighted?

If you've got a significant amount invested in Canon - particularly lenses - might it not be worth waiting a while to see how Canon respond?

The cost of replacing many thousands of dollars worth of Canon glass with Nikon would, I assume, not be insignificant. If Canon release something a year down the line that performs as good as the D800, would you be comfortable with the loss you incurred on changing the glass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

People have to remember it is a photokina year and Canon will respond. That they can we have seen. It just a question when. I would never sell of my Canon gear for a Nikon camera. If I really thought to need the d800 I would sell my 5DII and buy it with 1-2 lenses I would want to have.