The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More fuel for the 'D800 as good as MF' fire

aboudd

Like a lot of us, I am always looking for the best gear, yet I am truly amazed at how long this thread has gone on, on this and other forums. Without a side by side comparison of the same set-up shot at the same time with both the D800/E and some MF digital, the discussion is all fog. We should be out shooting, enjoying our work and when a test is available, use the results to decide if we want that third mortgage.

Lars Vinburg is right, it comes down to money. If you are an enthusiast buy what you need and can afford. I made the decision recently to start an MF digital kit instead of sending my son to his 3rd year of college (just kidding Max). The first images are truly amazing. Would they amaze a client more than the images from my D3s? Unless the client is an art director or a connoisseur of photography, I doubt it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Kind of need a D800 to do that. Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiting
Me too... I ordered a D800E from Park Cameras here in the UK within the first hour of their putting the pre-order banner on their website on 7th Feb and I learn from them that I am unlikely even to get one of their first batch...

In the meantime having fun with the NEX-7.

There sure are a lot more pixels around than there used to be...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After all my knowledge and all I heard about the D800 / D800E I cannot wait to finally get my D800E ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Impressive scores indeed. I expected the D800 to score much lower than the D4, but .....

I never had thought it would even score higher (or at least in same league) than the IQ180 :cool:

Really overwhelmed for now!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yup, this is going to be a game changer... to think that it has effectively the same resolution as a P45+ but with stonking high ISO performance, better DR and colour depth and, err, live view.

Yum. Yum yum yum.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My impression so far is it's a game changer for the DSLR market for sure. It's only been a partial day of shooting mine, but I don't see an MF killer yet. I definitely like this camera, it's put some "love" for the DSLR back in my life and I can see I'm going to want a broader stable of glass than I originally thought I would. But my IQ180 is not in jeopardy :D

tashley

Subscriber Member
Without having one (d800eon order) I can't be sure but I think I agree. I think I'm likely to sell all my Canon stuff, my m9 (keeping the glass) and all my other accumulated cameras in a spring clean leaving me with IQ180, D800e and NEX-7. Each overlapping in purpose to some extent.

Manage with just three cameras? Me?
We'll see! The reformed gear slut may prove hard to reform!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My impression so far is it's a game changer for the DSLR market for sure. It's only been a partial day of shooting mine, but I don't see an MF killer yet. I definitely like this camera, it's put some "love" for the DSLR back in my life and I can see I'm going to want a broader stable of glass than I originally thought I would. But my IQ180 is not in jeopardy :D

Concur its really nice but my IQ 160 is not on the block. I will say it has closed some gaps though.

johnnygoesdigital

Some have called the D800, "the least expensive medium format digital camera". The simple fact that its sensor scores better than than the IQ180, in certain areas, is brilliant! The price to quality ratio is astounding, and leaves no question - From battery performance to weather - sealing, this camera is going to redefine certain photographers choices. It's long awaited and refreshing to finally have this kind of quality at this price! Although, I shoot with tech and medium format cameras, the D800, is a welcome addition!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Some have called the D800, "the least expensive medium format digital camera". The simple fact that its sensor scores better than than the IQ180, in certain areas, is brilliant! The price to quality ratio is astounding, and leaves no question - From battery performance to weather - sealing, this camera is going to redefine certain photographers choices. It's long awaited and refreshing to finally have this kind of quality at this price! Although, I shoot with tech and medium format cameras, the D800, is a welcome addition!

In some ways far exceeds MF but I'm also spoiled like crazy with a tech cam that has the best lenses around and amazing files. So i'm going to be one of those really hard to please guys but for the majority of D800 users they have no idea what I see coming off the tech cam files. So those folks have really upped there files and they will love it. But as many MF shooters know folks will need to up there game on technique as well. If we can all go out and shoot with a 40mpx mindset it will help there cause. Frankly I think this is awesome that people will not be able to just shoot but actually start thinking on what the hell they are doing. :thumbs:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Concur its really nice but my IQ 160 is not on the block. I will say it has closed some gaps though.
Coming from the "having neither" camp, I'm looking at this afresh.

Since it may be a year until I can spring for the IQ160, an 800E and Schneider PC lens is looking like a good landscape/architecture kit. If the RAW files can be pushed around without shadow noise or banding in any way resembling the Phase's, I'll give it a go.

--Matt

So i'm going to be one of those really hard to please guys but for the majority of D800 users they have no idea what I see coming off the tech cam files. So those folks have really upped there files and they will love it. But as many MF shooters know folks will need to up there game on technique as well.
It sounds perfect to me. Coming from large format (and leering at MF digital) I know that it won't represent the best quality possible. But it looks like something that's going to give me the quality I need for most of my projects, at a price I can afford.

As a bonus, it's capable of all these über-dslr things that I don't need but that make for a really fun toy.

gerald.d

Without having one (d800eon order) I can't be sure but I think I agree. I think I'm likely to sell all my Canon stuff, my m9 (keeping the glass) and all my other accumulated cameras in a spring clean leaving me with IQ180, D800e and NEX-7. Each overlapping in purpose to some extent.

Manage with just three cameras? Me?
We'll see! The reformed gear slut may prove hard to reform!
Not sure what you've got invested in Canon, but selling it all off just to get the D800 now might be a little short sighted?

If you've got a significant amount invested in Canon - particularly lenses - might it not be worth waiting a while to see how Canon respond?

The cost of replacing many thousands of dollars worth of Canon glass with Nikon would, I assume, not be insignificant. If Canon release something a year down the line that performs as good as the D800, would you be comfortable with the loss you incurred on changing the glass?

Christopher

People have to remember it is a photokina year and Canon will respond. That they can we have seen. It just a question when. I would never sell of my Canon gear for a Nikon camera. If I really thought to need the d800 I would sell my 5DII and buy it with 1-2 lenses I would want to have.