Site Sponsors

Thread: ALPAswa : Is it worth shimming a P25+ back ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ALPAswa : Is it worth shimming a P25+ back ?

Well I know that my "now so poor 22mp sensor" is not in the course anymore ; but I still use it with great satisfaction on the ALPA.

I am using a P25+ Phase back with the ALPA 12swa and schneider glass (24 and 47 apoDigitar).
    The fact is I didn't shim the back because I own the simple HasselbladV adaptator place. I am quite happy with the results.

So is it really worth shimming this "now-low-resolution" back ? Will I realy gain something by doing this ?

Or should I give up and buy a D800 ? <- this was a joke, I won't.

Stephane.
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ALPAswa : Is it worth shimming a P25+ back ?

Yes, it makes a difference. I tried it myself but could not really get it right so I took the whole system and headed for Zurich and Alpa. They shimmed first the back with their own reference lens. Then they checked all three of my lenses and it turned out that my 35 XL was off and the 72 and 120 perfect. We sent the 35 XL to Schneider for recalibration and when it returned my whole system was /is absolutely perfect. Worth anything to be able to trust your system! By the way, I too have a 22mp.
    Last edited by danlindberg; 25th February 2012 at 13:19. Reason: spelling
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are getting sharp images, I would say you do not need to shim the back. Why do you think you have a problem?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Definitely worth the effort, particularly if you ever shoot at infinity or rely on accuracy between what the lens says for focus distance and reality. If "good enough" is ok with your Alpa then no, don't bother but I don't know many Alpa users with that mindset.

As Dan says, there is a lot of peace of mind in knowing that everything is dialed in correctly and that doesn't matter whether you are using 22mp (I have a shimmed mount for my P25+ too) or 60 or 80mp (I also have a dedicated shimmed mount for my IQ160).
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First thank you guys for sharing your experience.
    Well I do shoot very often at infinity. And in fact I am quite happy with the results Shashin.
    But since a lot of Alpa guys seems to claim a big difference, I am questioning.

So I will hear your advices and shim that back !

I'd like to go for a longer lens in the 80 or 120 mm range and use a tilt adaptator. Should I get short barrel lens ? Anf if yes can I use them without the tilt adaptator ? My other lens (SK 47mm) will be tiltable too ?
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The longer glass needs to be in the short barrel mounts for use with the tilt adapter. There is a 34mm spacer if you don't use the tilt adapter and you can use these interchangeably. The other nice thing about the spacer & SB lenses is that you can balance the camera/longer lens about the body by having the spacer on the back and the SB lens on the front (obviously!).

The SK47mm is too short for use with the tilt adapter. You can only use lenses 80mm and longer in SB mount with it.

Alpa are developing a tilt solution for shorter glass although I don't know what the dates are for that. I'm sure that Thierry H can let you know what he's allowed to say about that subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Be aware that almost all of the longer lenses Alpa are offering now, are in SB, only one or two Rodenstocks are standard size. So there is not much of a choice there.

As far as have heard, the tilt mount for the shorter lenses will be exclusive for Rodenstock lenses, Thierry may want to comment here if he is allowed to.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Stephane,

As said by others, it is worth shimming. You may think that you are getting sharp results the way it is, but sometimes one can achieve a much better sharpness. This can be seen only when comparing different images at infinity and shimming step by step. So the answer is yes, do it, you may be surprised to see a big difference.

Best regards
    Thierry
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The new T/S solution Alpa solution is due within a couple of weeks or so and shall be announced by a Alpa Newsletter and immediately on Alpa's website. I shall inform as well here and elsewhere as soon as ready.

Important:

this solution will be available both for Rodenstock AND Schneider lenses under FL of 80mm. Not for all lenses but for selected ones, the ones which do respond to the highest specifications of the current DBs.

Best regards
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    The longer glass needs to be in the short barrel mounts for use with the tilt adapter. There is a 34mm spacer if you don't use the tilt adapter and you can use these interchangeably. The other nice thing about the spacer & SB lenses is that you can balance the camera/longer lens about the body by having the spacer on the back and the SB lens on the front (obviously!).

The SK47mm is too short for use with the tilt adapter. You can only use lenses 80mm and longer in SB mount with it.

Alpa are developing a tilt solution for shorter glass although I don't know what the dates are for that. I'm sure that Thierry H can let you know what he's allowed to say about that subject.
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

Yes, of course I am allowed to comment.

As written in my previous post: the new Alpa T/S solution will be available for both selected Rodenstock and Schneider lenses.

Best regards
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Be aware that almost all of the longer lenses Alpa are offering now, are in SB, only one or two Rodenstocks are standard size. So there is not much of a choice there.

As far as have heard, the tilt mount for the shorter lenses will be exclusive for Rodenstock lenses, Thierry may want to comment here if he is allowed to.

Cheers, -Peter
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good news on the Rodie & SK glass for tilt solution. Earlier news was that it might be Rodie only to begin with at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Thierry - good news indeed.

Cheers, -Peter

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry:

is each lens fitted with T/S, or is there a single adapter?

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry -

Two questions if I may:

As someone who will hopefully be ordering a TC and a lens in the next few days, are you able to confirm which lenses will work with the new adapter?

You specifically mention "T/S solution". Do you mean tilt/shift, or tilt/swing?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't give more information at this stage. Please be patient for a couple of weeks.

Thanks and best regards
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Thierry:

is each lens fitted with T/S, or is there a single adapter?
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald,

Please see my answers below:

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Thierry -

Two questions if I may:

As someone who will hopefully be ordering a TC and a lens in the next few days, are you able to confirm which lenses will work with the new adapter?
    ?
    At this stage I can't give any more information.

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    You specifically mention "T/S solution". Do you mean tilt/shift, or tilt/swing?
    I mean Tilt or Swing.

Best regards
    Thierry
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]