The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPAswa : Is it worth shimming a P25+ back ?

steflaurent974

Well I know that my "now so poor 22mp sensor" is not in the course anymore ; but I still use it with great satisfaction on the ALPA.

I am using a P25+ Phase back with the ALPA 12swa and schneider glass (24 and 47 apoDigitar).
The fact is I didn't shim the back because I own the simple HasselbladV adaptator place. I am quite happy with the results.

So is it really worth shimming this "now-low-resolution" back ? Will I realy gain something by doing this ?

Or should I give up and buy a D800 ? <- this was a joke, I won't.

Stephane.

danlindberg

Yes, it makes a difference. I tried it myself but could not really get it right so I took the whole system and headed for Zurich and Alpa. They shimmed first the back with their own reference lens. Then they checked all three of my lenses and it turned out that my 35 XL was off and the 72 and 120 perfect. We sent the 35 XL to Schneider for recalibration and when it returned my whole system was /is absolutely perfect. Worth anything to be able to trust your system! By the way, I too have a 22mp.

Last edited:

Shashin

If you are getting sharp images, I would say you do not need to shim the back. Why do you think you have a problem?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Definitely worth the effort, particularly if you ever shoot at infinity or rely on accuracy between what the lens says for focus distance and reality. If "good enough" is ok with your Alpa then no, don't bother but I don't know many Alpa users with that mindset.

As Dan says, there is a lot of peace of mind in knowing that everything is dialed in correctly and that doesn't matter whether you are using 22mp (I have a shimmed mount for my P25+ too) or 60 or 80mp (I also have a dedicated shimmed mount for my IQ160).

steflaurent974

First thank you guys for sharing your experience.
Well I do shoot very often at infinity. And in fact I am quite happy with the results Shashin.
But since a lot of Alpa guys seems to claim a big difference, I am questioning.

So I will hear your advices and shim that back !

I'd like to go for a longer lens in the 80 or 120 mm range and use a tilt adaptator. Should I get short barrel lens ? Anf if yes can I use them without the tilt adaptator ? My other lens (SK 47mm) will be tiltable too ?

GrahamWelland

The longer glass needs to be in the short barrel mounts for use with the tilt adapter. There is a 34mm spacer if you don't use the tilt adapter and you can use these interchangeably. The other nice thing about the spacer & SB lenses is that you can balance the camera/longer lens about the body by having the spacer on the back and the SB lens on the front (obviously!).

The SK47mm is too short for use with the tilt adapter. You can only use lenses 80mm and longer in SB mount with it.

Alpa are developing a tilt solution for shorter glass although I don't know what the dates are for that. I'm sure that Thierry H can let you know what he's allowed to say about that subject.

PeterL

Be aware that almost all of the longer lenses Alpa are offering now, are in SB, only one or two Rodenstocks are standard size. So there is not much of a choice there.

As far as have heard, the tilt mount for the shorter lenses will be exclusive for Rodenstock lenses, Thierry may want to comment here if he is allowed to.

Cheers, -Peter

Thierry

Dear Stephane,

As said by others, it is worth shimming. You may think that you are getting sharp results the way it is, but sometimes one can achieve a much better sharpness. This can be seen only when comparing different images at infinity and shimming step by step. So the answer is yes, do it, you may be surprised to see a big difference.

Best regards
Thierry

Thierry

The new T/S solution Alpa solution is due within a couple of weeks or so and shall be announced by a Alpa Newsletter and immediately on Alpa's website. I shall inform as well here and elsewhere as soon as ready.

Important:

this solution will be available both for Rodenstock AND Schneider lenses under FL of 80mm. Not for all lenses but for selected ones, the ones which do respond to the highest specifications of the current DBs.

Best regards
Thierry

The longer glass needs to be in the short barrel mounts for use with the tilt adapter. There is a 34mm spacer if you don't use the tilt adapter and you can use these interchangeably. The other nice thing about the spacer & SB lenses is that you can balance the camera/longer lens about the body by having the spacer on the back and the SB lens on the front (obviously!).

The SK47mm is too short for use with the tilt adapter. You can only use lenses 80mm and longer in SB mount with it.

Alpa are developing a tilt solution for shorter glass although I don't know what the dates are for that. I'm sure that Thierry H can let you know what he's allowed to say about that subject.

Thierry

Peter,

Yes, of course I am allowed to comment.

As written in my previous post: the new Alpa T/S solution will be available for both selected Rodenstock and Schneider lenses.

Best regards
Thierry

Be aware that almost all of the longer lenses Alpa are offering now, are in SB, only one or two Rodenstocks are standard size. So there is not much of a choice there.

As far as have heard, the tilt mount for the shorter lenses will be exclusive for Rodenstock lenses, Thierry may want to comment here if he is allowed to.

Cheers, -Peter

GrahamWelland

Good news on the Rodie & SK glass for tilt solution. Earlier news was that it might be Rodie only to begin with at least.

gerald.d

Thierry -

Two questions if I may:

As someone who will hopefully be ordering a TC and a lens in the next few days, are you able to confirm which lenses will work with the new adapter?

You specifically mention "T/S solution". Do you mean tilt/shift, or tilt/swing?

Thierry

Gerald,

Please see my answers below:

Thierry -

Two questions if I may:

As someone who will hopefully be ordering a TC and a lens in the next few days, are you able to confirm which lenses will work with the new adapter?
?
At this stage I can't give any more information.

You specifically mention "T/S solution". Do you mean tilt/shift, or tilt/swing?
I mean Tilt or Swing.

Best regards
Thierry