The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mounting Old 4x5 Lens For Alpa STC

rga

Hi All,
I have a 4x5 360/500/720 lens on a Linhoff lens board. Is there anyway to get it to work on my Alpa STC?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Bob

PeterL

They would need a huge extension, have you seen the SK Apo-Tele-Xenar 250mm, the longest Alpa currently offers? It's pretty big, not sure the mount could handle such long lenses.

Cheers, -Peter

Oren Grad

Are you talking about the Nikkor T 360/500/720 convertible set?

I think the longest lens Alpa currently offers is the 250 Apo-Tele-Xenar...

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Schneider Apo-Tele-Xenar 5.6/250 mm *SB*

...which is already pretty unwieldy - look at that tube. The 360 Nikkor T has a flange-to-film spec of 261mm which will require a longer tube than that, while the 500 and 720 will need quite a bit longer still.

The other question is what your intended application is, and whether these LF tele designs will be up to the task. I don't doubt that there's someone who can physically mount the lens to the camera for you - if Alpa won't, SK Grimes probably can. But whether it will be worth the trouble isn't obvious.

rga

Yes, seeing the size of the 250 is daunting. And you're correct, it is the convertible set you mentioned.

I was thinking of either using extension tubes in conjunction with a bellows for the varying focal lengths. The application would be to extend the range of telephotos available from Alpa and have greater flexibility.
But perhaps the best thing to do is to use my Technikardin with my MFDB and current crop of LF lenses that fit the Technikardin. It's just a bit heavy...

Not sure if Alpa will come out with a bellows, but it might be a pretty useful tool in their set...
Thanks,
Bob

Are you talking about the Nikkor T 360/500/720 convertible set?

I think the longest lens Alpa currently offers is the 250 Apo-Tele-Xenar...

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Schneider Apo-Tele-Xenar 5.6/250 mm *SB*

...which is already pretty unwieldy - look at that tube. The 360 Nikkor T has a flange-to-film spec of 261mm which will require a longer tube than that, while the 500 and 720 will need quite a bit longer still.

The other question is what your intended application is, and whether these LF tele designs will be up to the task. I don't doubt that there's someone who can physically mount the lens to the camera for you - if Alpa won't, SK Grimes probably can. But whether it will be worth the trouble isn't obvious.

rga

I believe this lens is not a helical mount, so to focus you would need to be able to adjust the lens to focal plane distance. A bellows, as in a 4x5 system, would be best. The macro adapters would certainly get you most of the way...

I think that is the purpose of their extension tubes.

darr

I believe this lens is not a helical mount, so to focus you would need to be able to adjust the lens to focal plane distance. A bellows, as in a 4x5 system, would be best. The macro adapters would certainly get you most of the way...
Yes, but you would need to move the object to or fro of the camera (or the camera to or fro of the object) in precise increments. From the camera side, you could use something like this:

This is why they make view cameras like the Arca Swiss M Line 2:

To the OP:
I own a beautiful Alpa Max and the beautiful M Line 2. IMO, what you are attempting to do would not be the optimal for the camera setup you have. Get a view camera like the M2 and use the STC for landscape/candid stuff.
:deadhorse:

Just my 2 cents.

rga

Thanks Darr. These lenses are from a 4x5 that I still have. Wonderful Linhof Technikarden S. It would just be nice to have one kit.

Guess it would be nice if Alpa, someday, would come out with a bellows and universal mount for other lenses. Just for fun...

Thanks; RRS makes wonderful gear. I have a Novoflex which is also very nice.
Best,
Bob

darr

Thanks Darr. These lenses are from a 4x5 that I still have. Wonderful Linhof Technikarden S. It would just be nice to have one kit.

Guess it would be nice if Alpa, someday, would come out with a bellows and universal mount for other lenses. Just for fun...

Thanks; RRS makes wonderful gear. I have a Novoflex which is also very nice.
Best,
Bob
Bob,
The Arca Swiss Rm3di can be the "one kit" camera if you spend the money.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3167

You can use the rail and bellows system with it as well as have helical mount lenses. If the Rm3di was available before I bought the Alpa, I would have went with the Arca instead since I have been heavily invested in AS cameras for years.
Best,
Darr

Last edited:

darr

That is way cool Grzegorz and expensive looking! How did you get the bellows to attatch to the body?

Grzegorz Pedzich

two bellows from fuji gx680 :)
not expensive if you have some elements ;)
I use rails from sunwayfoto and hejnar (base helicoid)
front standard - sinar
rear - ALPA STC :)))

rga

Thanks for the link Darr. Like you, I'm pretty heavily invested in Alpa, so the RM isn't an option at this point.
Thanks again,
Bob

Bob,
The Arca Swiss Rm3di can be the "one kit" camera if you spend the money.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3167

You can use the rail and bellows system with it as well as have helical mount lenses. If the Rm3di was available before I bought the Alpa, I would have went with the Arca instead since I have been heavily invested in AS cameras for years.
Best,
Darr

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That is way cool Grzegorz and expensive looking! How did you get the bellows to attatch to the body?
I would think that an Alpa front cover plate drilled out and glued to the bellows would be all you need.

That's one cool Alpa STC view camera!

darr

I would think that an Alpa front cover plate drilled out and glued to the bellows would be all you need.

That's one cool Alpa STC view camera!
You are probably right Graham. I wonder why Alpa doesn't offer a kit where we can transform our bodies into a view camera. Hopefully Therry will chime in at some point.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
well, I suppose that the market would be pretty small, particularly since it would only work with longer lenses anyway.

darr

well, I suppose that the market would be pretty small, particularly since it would only work with longer lenses anyway.
I agree, but how about how the 120 macro looks on the camera? I use the 120 on an Arca M2, but it sure would be nice to have helical focus combined with rack and pinion with that lens while shooting tethered. One camera for all applications = peace of mind? Who knows. :rolleyes: