The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does 41 Mpix count as Medium format ?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Can hardly wait to see how long a full rez shot takes to upload to facebook on 3G (or even 4G) LOL

Stefan Steib

Terry - the samples posted on the Nokia site have about 38Mpix/109 Mbytes open
also the specs on the Nokia site clearly state the large files are available - see my first post.

The dpreview article is interesting as it shows another possible idea about how to handle future needs for imaging with least effort for best results:

Using a prime lens for an oversampled image to electronically zoom in as the chips are now falling in price and silicon is cheaper than optics !

Very cool idea ! Goodbye expensive Zooms with 15 lenses ! Do it electronically. This is the kind of technology that I think will win !

regards
Stefan

PS.: one nice sample image on that page:

http://4.s.img-dpreview.com/files/n...3-captured-with-nokia-808-pureview.jpg?v=1354

Stefan Steib

After reading it in Detail this gets even more exciting:
the sensor actually has 41 Mpix, but the camera will only shoot 34mpix(means 16:9) or 38 Mpix (means 4:3), the 41Mpix are not available as one file !What they use/call as 41 Mpixis is always cropped.

the technical whitepaper
http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_MET...00-series/808/Nokia808PureView_Whitepaper.pdf
has a lot of exciting new infos too:

"Nokia PureView Pro turns conventional thinking on its head. It dispenses with the usual scaling/ interpolation model of digital zoom used in virtually all smartphones, as well as optical zoom used in most digital cameras, where a series of lens elements moves back and forth to vary the magnification and field of view. Instead, we’ve taken a completely new road."..........

"Faster shutter speeds.
With the Nokia 808 PureView, you get effective maximum aperture throughout the zoom range. Whereas with optical zoom, less light tends to reach the sensor as the zoom increases. At maximum zoom, 5.4x more light reaches the Nokia PureView Pro sensor than a broadly equivalent optical-zoom digital camera (f/5.6 as opposed to f/2.4). And this means you get the benefit of faster shutter speeds.
e.g. If a conventional digital camera set to ISO 100 uses a shutter speed of 1/30th second, the Nokia 808 PureView uses 1/180th second in the same lighting conditions. Or, looking at it another way, if a digital camera uses ISO 600 for a shutter speed of 1/30th, the Nokia 808 PureView could maintain the same shutter speed with ISO 100 — significantly reducing the visual noise you’d see in the resulting image. This also means that the Nokia 808 PureView’s effective flash range is virtually maintained at all zoom levels, rather than being significantly reduced as the zoom increases."

Nokia is back - I hope these guys will sell a ton of these, this is real Chuzpe, finally one of the big players who seems to have understood.
Maybe they needed to have these bad problems and the competition to make this phone..... :thumbs:

regards
Stefan

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Personally I think this is a better approach to solving the zoom problem on camera phones.
Ctein had an interesting article on this..

Not sure the camera is enough to save Nokia. Especially if it only runs on Symbian. Most people value other features more than the camera. Current cameras are pretty good and are good enough for most.

Stefan Steib

Wayne you are right, the camera alone is not the whole package. But it looks really good even if you buy this as a camera alone - here is a video about the usage that is pretty interesting:

Nokia 808 PureView Hands-On Video - YouTube!

And even if this Phone fails, the concept will go into other cameras, I´m nearly 100 % sure.

Regards
Stefan

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just downloaded the big res samples and looked at them in LR at 50% (i.e. about the same res as a moderately good print) and... blimey! I mean, blimey.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
So who's sensor? Someone has to be making this for them. I agree if this shows up in a lot of phones point and shoots will be gone. But I don't think many will buy this to replace just their point and shoot because that category is on its way out already. Some maybe. But they need this in a different platform.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What is really interesting is if this technology can be implemented in larger sensors. The m4/3 system, where high quality fast lenses are already available, would suddenly be able to climb another few steps up the ladder. I wonder who owns the patents for this.

Although this phone alone might not bring Nokia back to its former position, I know quite a lot of young people who will buy it simply because having the latest, hottest is cool. And this one ends all discussions about megapixel numbers rather quickly.

Lars

Personally I think this is a better approach to solving the zoom problem on camera phones.
Ctein had an interesting article on this..

Not sure the camera is enough to save Nokia. Especially if it only runs on Symbian. Most people value other features more than the camera. Current cameras are pretty good and are good enough for most.
My guess is that Nokia used Symbian on this device because Symbian at this time has better software for photo apps (than Windows Phone).

V

Vivek

I have not owned a phone that comes with an FM radio. That alone is something. Then there is a hidef web browser, full HD video and even a phone!

This stuff is just over the top. :thumbs:

Agnius

It is a lot of pixels, but by definition "medium" is defined by physical size, not the amount of pixels. So Guy can safely come out of the retirement. ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This of course put the sensor size choices for the Pentax Q and Nikon 1 in a new perspective. None of these guys live in a bubble, and the development must have been going on for a while. In other words: The people at Nikon and Pentax most probably knew very well that this and possibly other new concepts were in the pipeline.

The Nokia sensor is actually very close in size to the one in Nikon 1. I would be surprised if we don't see f/0.7 standard lenses for these small formats from the likes of Voigtlander and SLR Magic within 2-3 years. Although that will still not make them medium format cameras, it will be very interesting to see the images that can be created with such a combination.

Terry

This of course put the sensor size choices for the Pentax Q and Nikon 1 in a new perspective. None of these guys live in a bubble, and the development must have been going on for a while. In other words: The people at Nikon and Pentax most probably knew very well that this and possibly other new concepts were in the pipeline.

The Nokia sensor is actually very close in size to the one in Nikon 1. I would be surprised if we don't see f/0.7 standard lenses for these small formats from the likes of Voigtlander and SLR Magic within 2-3 years. Although that will still not make them medium format cameras, it will be very interesting to see the images that can be created with such a combination.
I thought it was a Sony sensor.

Anders_HK

"Does 41 Mpix count as Medium format ?"

Yes, of course it does. I knew the new Nikon was a lemon... never figured I will be selling my Leaf back so soon. It is all about how many mega pixels of course. With tne Nokia I can afford getting 8 x camera phones to mount on a bracket and stitch, remaining money from my Leaf will go to the bank.

Of course! This is great!!! \\:clap:

(Yair, I am lying in above :angel:)