The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does 41 Mpix count as Medium format ?

Stefan Steib

if so, then here is the smallest MF camera of all times:

Nokia Europe - Nokia 808 PureView with 41 MP camera
Camera41 megapixel camera sensor with Nokia Pureview Pro imaging technology and Carl Zeiss opticsFullscreen 16:9 viewfinder with easy on-screen touch controlsXenon flash with operating range up to 3.5 m depending on conditions. Automatic fill-flashLED for video recordingFocal length: 8.02 mm (35 mm equivalent focal length -26 mm, 16:9 / 28 mm, 4:3)Auto focus and touch to focusFocus modes: Hyperfocal, Macro, Infinity and AutoFocus range: 15 cm ~ infinityMacro focus 15-50 cmF number/aperture: F2.4Supported aspect ratios and resolutions True 16:9 (2 MP, 5 MP [Default], 8 MP, 41 MP) 4:3 (3 MP, 5 MP, 8 MP, 41 MP)Three shooting modes: Auto, Scenes, CreativeFace detection softwareLaunch camera from lock with full press of capture key

More here: Nokia 808 Pure View Phone Has a 41-Megapixel Camera. FORTY-ONE ACTUAL MEGAPIXELS.

and most shocking: 450 €/600 $ starting in May...........

???????

Stefan

Terry

What I read was that Nokia was having a very difficult time with a zoom lens in a phone camera. Lens was too slow forcing ISO too high. So, they tackled the problem by throwing pixels at it and using digital zoom and also pixel binning.

Stefan Steib

It looks like the standard resolution is 5MPix with pixel binning, but you can shoot a 41 Mpix as well. I think they are doing some very smart things here.

regards
Stefan

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is FUN!

Just a few days we were joking about iPhone with 60MP or so, here we are almost there!

So will this be the new MFD-back form factor? maybe the big guys could offer an adapter for those types of high resolution smart phones :scry:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
no, it is a new phone camera.
The escalator just keeps going up but it is not all about the number of pixels, it is also about the quality of those pixels.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
jeez, it ought to look organic, it is the top of somebody's head LOL
actually I am convinced that as tech marches on it presents only more and more opportunity at the high end.

I once was told by a youngger co-worker that the mainframe was dead. At that time I think my answer was, well, it might be as we know it, but there would always be a market for the "biggest and baddest" that could be produced.
I think that is pretty true.
I am happy that folks are beginning to see what the possibilities might be on the biggest and baddest side of the spectrum.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I like the idea of having 41mp that I can have automatically pixel bin down to something usable. That seems like a viable use for the resolution if it means clean, sharp images with good colour. Having just the resolution for resolution's sake, especially in a wobbly phone cam seems kind of pointless IMHO, especially with a plastic pebble in front of the sensor.

Oh, and no it doesn't count as medium format digital :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
no, it is a new phone camera.
The escalator just keeps going up but it is not all about the number of pixels, it is also about the quality of those pixels.
-bob
Hey Bob, I think nobody really doubts that - especially in this thread.

Just interesting that we had joked about iPhone with 60MP - and here we are already approaching ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
has anyone done an extrapolation on how many MP this pixel size would mean on a 645 MFD back?

1 million MP :confused:

Stefan Steib

We should not forget that there is another area this "Thing" beats an IQ180 hands down:

Gaming !

"Use the touch interface to play games, Dedicated graphics processor with OpenGL 2.0 enables 3D graphics, Native and Java games, Use the accelerometer to play games, NFC for multiplayer games, Preloaded games, More games available for download at Store "

I want java games on the IQ´s ! "Hasselblad shooter" or "destroy the Canon´s" or more educational things like "national park landscape memory" or "whats the right focus "...........:Dregards
Stefan

Stefan Steib

That´s right Paul !
At least by far the best Phone images I have seen so far.
The tonality looks a bit strange , but you never know who fiddled around with these and with which software. Also strange all 3 files have differing sizes whereas the 2 larger ones are actually smaller in dimension than the smaller (landscape) image ? Exif also shows some funny stuff - 58 ASA ?

But of course this is all still betastuff.

regards
Stefan

Paul Spinnler

i'm especially impressed by the first image. I think you could easily print it at 40 inches wide. Considering the fact that this is a cellphone after all, this is mighty impressive ...