The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa TC Digitar 35mm and P45+ vs :-)

gogopix

Subscriber
As I am going thru shots, it strikes me a benefit of high res is getting images when you can't 'be there'

We were in Le Puy en Velay and Passed an interesing site. When in Puy, I broke out the Alpa TC and the wide Schneider Digitar for some panoramas to capture the untreresing sweep of the valey esp the volcano cores that were built on over the ages.

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
In the distance is the subject site.

Here's a 100% view of the center from the AlpaTC-SK35-P45+

(I also show an edge shot for those interested in the SK performance)

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
So, who WAS that 'masked camera" that brought us so close? and the lens?

no EXIF peaking

also, NO SHARPENING ON ANY OF THESE

the TC P45+ files had yes the default 34% of C!

the little guy, none

fun what you can do with this stuff..
:)

regards
Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Actually was the M8 and 135 (most recent)

Set at infinity I found the 135 was pretty much in focus at f8-11 from a few 100 meters out, and the foreground was NOT that OOF.

There is an interesting article abount not using hyperfocal distance in such cases; it would put the far items OOF a bit.

Victor

Lars

To me the Alpa 100% crops look seriously oversharpened... maybe because I'm used to look at DSLR output with AA filter and film scans, but it sure looks like the Alpa unit does its own agressive sharpening. Especially visible at the horizon.

gogopix

Subscriber
There's no alpa doing anything-its a block of aluminum.

The schneiders are very sharp lenses and these are 7000+x5000+ images downsized in genuine fractals.

The jpg compression is from 12 = 10MB down to 5 o6 to get under 270KB

I see most images looking like they are sharpened mostly because the compression causes local posterizing that appears like sharpening. It isn't oversharpened images have a different look.

This is the issue with backs of such high resolution you don't need ANY sharpening but jpgs cant keep up with the detail, much less going also from 16 down to 8 bit and from Prophoto RGB to sRGB. The latter also increase posterizing when the color is out of gamut for sRGB and it has to pick one of the few colors near on the border .

Processing here is

C1 tiff-prophoto16bit>PS>GF>8bit>sRGB>jpg>saved file That's it.

hardly a way to judge, but ok for relative comparisons or just to have some fun with "reach" that is, using pixels or telephoto.

Victor

Lars

Must be your jpeg compressor then - there are clear sharpening artefacts for example along the edge of the tower. Same thing with the M8 crop, though to a lesser degree. Of course C1's raw conversion is a black box, "no sharpening" doesn't necessarily mean no increase of local contrast.