The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 - EEEE Problem

B

bartekandmagda

Hi all!

I'm quite a newbie to this forum, so here's my hello!
Alright...onto the thread....

We are digital shooters but after being inspired by some of our favourite wedding film photographers I decided to get a Contax combo.

I love everything about our new Contax 645 + 50 f2 combo! However...we have a problem, and I don't quite know who else to ask...so I thought to ask here as a last resort.

This is our second body I bought off a photographer with the same issue.

It's completely random and I have no idea what causes it. I'll be shooting and everything will be going fine and then I'll try and take the next frame...and in the viewfinder in lieu of the shutter speed all I see is "EEEE" flashing green letters And the camera doesn't do anything at all.

I try turning it off, on, disassembling it, and nothing. The only thing that sometimes seems to work is taking the battery out, waiting then resetting it...and it'll work again! Then boom...randomly it'll happen again. I can shoot a whole roll without issues...and then another time it'll happen 10 times during a roll.

Some have suggested it's the brand of battery? But I tried different ones with the same issue.

I called the Contax repair center in Jersey and they had to send the 1st body to Japan because they say it's an electrical error with the board?! But now it's happening with my second completely unrelated body? I have my doubts. By the way, this body we have now is practically brand new. Everything from the prism finder to the body is immaculate! It even still has the plastic tape on the tripod plate.

Anyways, sorry for the long question but I am hoping some of you here know what this is and have a quick fix? Perhaps you encountered this before? Perhaps you have a solution?

I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm at a loss and want to sell everything and just stick with digital...but it makes me feel so sad to think I may need to do that.

Thank you all in advance and I hope to get this resolved.

-Bartek
www.bartekandmagda.com

drevil

Staff member
Hi Bartek,

i have the same issue with my contax 645 kit which i acquired recently.

after some time i realized that this problem occurs when the exposure time is at 1/4000.

i could easily reproduce this error by going to continuous shooting, choose 1/4000s exposure time and fire away. after some shots(sometimes more sometimes less) the EEEE error appears again. one stop below 1/4000s it does not happen.
maybe you can check this as well.

i am currently waiting for my second kit, which i hope will be perform flawlessly.

mirko