Site Sponsors

Thread: Need bigger LCC card

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Need bigger LCC card

Just realized that I am going to need a bigger size LCC material for my new lens. Wondering what folks are using. Most likely need 5x5 or 6x6 size. Not sure how big my Center filter is yet. Is there a commercial place I can buy one or material to make one. Just looking at the set shop in NY and not finding what I need and I need it right away too. Any ideas
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Need bigger LCC card

Guy,

Here is a link to Ridout Plastics, I had them make several LCC"s for me out of the 2447 Acrylic sheet. It appears to be very similar in consistency and light transmission as the smaller 4 x 4 LCC that Capture Integration sells. I used the 1/8" thick versions. They will cut to size.

Plexiglass White & Black acrylic sheets

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Paul
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just realized that I am going to need a bigger size LCC material for my new lens. Wondering what folks are using. Most likely need 5x5 or 6x6 size. Not sure how big my Center filter is yet. Is there a commercial place I can buy one or material to make one. Just looking at the set shop in NY and not finding what I need and I need it right away too. Any ideas
    Guy,

I guess you didn't get one of the LCC's that Jack made everyone at the DV workshop? I know it is bigger than the Capture LCC that I have. Dont know if that helps.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have given those LCC to people that have needed them along the way that needed them. Can't find one for myself

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check through all of your bags....you've got to have at least one of those around from before the workshop. Otherwise, Jack may still have a secret stash of them tucked away....If all else fails...off to the plastics store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did people come over for lessons and I keep giving the damn things away. Lol

Yea looking for plexiglass companies here in town

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Measuring the biggest filter holder I have 4 3/4 square would be more than big enough. The ones coming from the Folks at CI are 3 5/8ths x 4 3/4. Just a little short on one side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, do you still have the old black users manual that came with the P30? it had a much larger LCC plate that would meet your needs. It's tucked into the inside flap.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

when I researched new LCC materials for a larger LCC plate, I sent sets of my first 2 sample materials to Guy, Terry and Bob to test along with me. Those initial pieces were fine, but didn't work any better/different than the CI LCC plate. I then found the material I made for the workshop group, and sent Guy, Terry and Bob each one or two of them. This final material was easy to use and in most cases generates an excellent LCC with a 1 or 2-stop exposure bump. I think by then Guy was tired of trying them, was doing fine with teh CI plate and so tossed them away. And now he needs one

Anyway, for those interested the material is 40% transmissive translucent white acrylic, and can be found at TAP plastics. They will cut it to any size you need up to 4 by 8 feet, so I am sure Guy can get exactly what he wants
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I gave them to folks that needed them when they came to my office for lessons ( you need to read what I wrote Green Giant). I'm a nice guy ya know, I just give stuff away. LOL

I just found a old lightbox under the guest room bed. Cutting it now for a temp. fix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well made 2 at 4 3/4 square and enough to make two more if needed. I'll sand them up and see how they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Guy, do you still have the old black users manual that came with the P30? it had a much larger LCC plate that would meet your needs. It's tucked into the inside flap.

Paul
    I don't think I do. But it is possible. I will look. Nice call

Post Thanks / Like

If you prefer glass, Edmund has both standard and opal finishes. The opal eats light but it sure does diffuse well.

Ground Glass Diffusers - Edmund Optics

Lots of neat stuff in the Edmund catalog.

Post Thanks / Like

As Paul said, the LCC cards bundled with the non-Plus backs were very big - around 6" x 8". Not so long ago we were using Pringle's lids for white balance, so a coffee lid comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I gave them to folks that needed them when they came to my office for lessons ( you need to read what I wrote Green Giant). I'm a nice guy ya know, I just give stuff away. LOL
    Just razzin you -- the ones I made up last time were only 4"x 5-1/2" so not big enough to completely cover a 105mm filter. Anything evenly translucent and reasonably neutral in color will work. In fact, a sheet of plain white paper can be used in a pinch . Another option is to white spray paint an old UV filter. The aforementioned acrylic is just really nice to use and generates great LCC's and is cheap...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know a plastic lid type would be nice as they don't break and I do like the idea of something round. That maybe worth looking at in the grocery store. The ones from the light box came out pretty good and I will adjust maybe size when I get the CF filter since I don't know it's size yet. BTW the ones Jack made where really nice as well. Buying a tech cam these things should just automatically be included in the sale. Hint, hint , hint.

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure and keep a stash of small coffee filters in the bag. They come in handy for all sorts of emergencies ..... including coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    when I researched new LCC materials for a larger LCC plate, I sent sets of my first 2 sample materials to Guy, Terry and Bob to test along with me. Those initial pieces were fine, but didn't work any better/different than the CI LCC plate. I then found the material I made for the workshop group, and sent Guy, Terry and Bob each one or two of them. This final material was easy to use and in most cases generates an excellent LCC with a 1 or 2-stop exposure bump. I think by then Guy was tired of trying them, was doing fine with teh CI plate and so tossed them away. And now he needs one

Anyway, for those interested the material is 40% transmissive translucent white acrylic, and can be found at TAP plastics. They will cut it to any size you need up to 4 by 8 feet, so I am sure Guy can get exactly what he wants
    4 by 8 foot would surely be big enough LOL
    -bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    4 by 8 foot would surely be big enough LOL
    -bob
    It's just a little inconvenient to carry around in the field. Or in the car. Or in the back of a truck. Or through the front doorway.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got a note from the folks at CI they are making bigger LCC this week. Stay tuned on those.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the Sinar LCC disk ~4"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhsu View Post
    Have you tried the Sinar LCC disk ~4"?

And ours will not cost a hundred something dollars....

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    And ours will not cost a hundred something dollars....

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly getting anything of Sinar product is actually a tough task in the US at least in my part of the country. I know of no dealers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sinar Digital and Film Cameras: Medium Format Digital Cameras, Large Format Film Cameras, Professional Cameras - look under artec accessories

Dont know what I paid for the Sinar shading filter..link above gives you a look at what it looks like.

Now imagine this situation Guy - the trouble you have with Sinar in the US - actually being the case for EVERYTHING from EVERYONE - thats what I have to deal with in Australia- where (ironically?) the Sinar dealer is the most helpful and best service person in the country... go figure

thats why I buy all my non sinar stuff from the US or HK - yeah a real hassle..

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly getting anything of Sinar product is actually a tough task in the US at least in my part of the country. I know of no dealers
    Shame. I've just returned from my parents place in Southern CAL. I would have posted one to you for you to play with and get you to post back to my parents place when you finished. I have a spare one in AU.

Can you give me the diam for the front lens thread you are intending to apply to? ie the new Digitar 28/f5.6 (?) I can't seem to get any info on the front diam thread. I've been told by Sinar supplier that the Sinar LCC works with HR32. So it should therefore fit the Digitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Guy,

is there an IKEA store in your proximity? If so just get a set of white plastic chopping boards (one is appr. A5 and the second appr. A4 size) from their kitchen department. Those work pretty well.

regards, Udo

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. I worked out the cost to post to you (Guy) 5-7days shipping time. I'm happy to "contribute" A$25 for this cause. I'll PM you my parents address in Cal when you finished with it. I know you won't buy it because it is "ridiculously" and "pathetically" priced for a piece of double perspex!

HOWEVER, I need to know the filter size for your intended lens - assuming it to be SK 28mm/f5.6 - as you are doing some comparison with the HR28. There is NO point in me posting to you if the filter diam is greater than 100mm (4").

The thing with Sinar is that it locks light-tight any possible light leakage. I use Lee WA ring (must be WA ring and NOT the std ring or else vignetting) and seems to work well as the outer diam is 100mm and it is recessed so when the Sinar LCC is fitted into the Lee ring, it's a good fit. Sinar recommends their adapter ring and no doubt a valid point.

Let me know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should have the CF tonight it was shipped overnight to me. Don't know size yet but strangely it is smaller than the Rodie 28mm which makes no sense since the Rodie 28 is actually smaller in diameter . I'm still deciding between the two lenses but leaning to the SK which has a bigger image circle of 90mm compared to the Roadie of 70mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy - did you get the CF for the 28 from CI?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes . Cambo had them in stock. Took only a couple days to get to US. Frankly Cambo delivers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a secret, but Capture Integration does sell Sinar.

The list price for the Sinar White Diffuser is $197...

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a really damn good secret than. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I think I can work with a plain old LCC for $10.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

There's also Capture One's Universal Lens Calibrator - that comes with two boards 100x100mm and 150x150mm - though it's a bit expensive at $77 for a couple of bits of plastic. Cheaper than the Sinar solution though.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a large offcut of milky white perspex that I found in our physics department's mechanical workshop. Really uniform. I'd say you could walk into any university workshop and pick up one of these for free. The only price you pay is spending a few minutes showing them your MF cam - they're techies, they love that stuff!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol thanks Ray. I went out this morning with the one I made from a old light box I had cut 4.75 x 4.75 square and it's just the right size for my SK 28 CF. Seems to be working okay and a great guess on size on my part. Had no idea how big the CF was.

I also think taking the shiny side off is a good idea and sand it down as it would disperse the light better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now I can finish my review up. Post that later on the SK 28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol thanks Ray. I went out this morning with the one I made from a old light box I had cut 4.75 x 4.75 square and it's just the right size for my SK 28 CF. Seems to be working okay and a great guess on size on my part. Had no idea how big the CF was.

I also think taking the shiny side off is a good idea and sand it down as it would disperse the light better
    I just got hold of some shiny opaque acrylic to make some LCC's from.
    Would you sand them on both sides or leave one side shiny and one side sanded? If the latter which side would you face to the lens?

Thanks
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sanded down both sides and may not make any difference but I figured if the shiny side was towards the lens and I did not hold it firmly in place and maybe had a gap that I could introduce a reflection. That was my thinking at least.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you that use the Lee filter system, their lens caps that cover the filter adapter ring seem to work quite well as an LCC card and for white balance too.

They're dirt cheap and fit in nicely with my work flow too; set up, make exposures, place lens cap on, make LCC exposures with the same camera movements, then when you're done the lens is already capped ready to go back in the bag!

TMH

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sanded down both sides and may not make any difference but I figured if the shiny side was towards the lens and I did not hold it firmly in place and maybe had a gap that I could introduce a reflection. That was my thinking at least.
    I have my LCC cards sanded on both sides as well .
    It sounds logical anyway to prevent any reflections .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys, both sides sanded it is...!

Peter