Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Comprehensive Testing: Results & Observations with Pentax 645 Lenses used on the 645D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Comprehensive Testing: Results & Observations with Pentax 645 Lenses used on the

I'm not sure if Dave ever completed his tests. I have acquired a 600mm since this thread was started and I find it, even with a 1.4x, superb. Stabilizing the lens at slower speeds is absolutely essential however. Some examples:

wide open @ f/5.6

_IGP8972 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

@f/11

_IGP1495 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

With the 1.4x

_IGP1004 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Stabilizing device I assembled

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

It's a great lens, but at 12 ibs. it's a handful.

Tom
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comprehensive Testing: Results & Observations with Pentax 645 Lenses used on the

Thank you for your reply. Beautiful pictures, congratulation.

Pier

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    Hi,

I'm a new member of this forum.

I'm an old guy who bought his first good camera, a Leica 3G, in Europe in 1958 and still have the camera.

Have you or any members tested the new 28-45 mm lens for the Pentax 645z? Seems like an excellent range for landscape.
    Also, the the 33-55. I recently purchased this and it seems quite good but was wondering how well it did in testing if anyone has done so. It's the lightest of the zoom lenses that I have and convenient for carrying.

Thanks for any replies.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich
    I am a landscape kind of guy. Used the 28-45 for 2 weeks and found it well balanced on the 645Z even for walk around shooting. It is a beast and not for the faint of heart. The IQ seemed plenty good for me although I have not examined all my images as I am just back and have other pressing matters.

It is a sizeable investment and that should be considered versus a 35 and a 55/2.8 which leaves plenty of room for a third lens when looking at spending $5k.

Sorry not to have more IQ input as yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Dave,
    Hi,

I'm a new member of this forum.

I'm an old guy who bought his first good camera, a Leica 3G, in Europe in 1958 and still have the camera.

Have you or any members tested the new 28-45 mm lens for the Pentax 645z? Seems like an excellent range for landscape.
    Also, the the 33-55. I recently purchased this and it seems quite good but was wondering how well it did in testing if anyone has done so. It's the lightest of the zoom lenses that I have and convenient for carrying.

Thanks for any replies.

Rich
    Hello, and welcome to the river Styx

Regarding the 28-45 zoom- while I haven't gotten my hands on it yet, I am aware of the fact that this lens alone is about as large and heavy as the 645D/Z itself, so if you can imagine stacking on another 645 body, that's how big it is:

Shame it doesn't come with a foot... any lens over 1kg should come with a foot attached by default. If you're going to set this combo on a tripod, make sure you're using no less than a geared head and a mid-large tripod, like a Gitzo 3/4 series systematic or similar from RRS.

It is also claimed to be razor sharp from wide open and features stabilization, if that's any consolation, just be aware that if you take this lens along it's probably going to be the only one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I used the 645Z and 28-45 on my Gitzo 2 series with RRS BH55 ball head and trying to dislodge it was not possible. The SR function does not operate when you use mirror lockup which I use all the time to be on the safe side.(you switch SR off on tripod) When hand held (with the 55) I can feel the mirror vibration when it goes up while pressing the shutter half way so that's what encouraged me to use mirror lockup all the time. The remote was a live safer in this mode.

On this trip I am discussing, I used a tiny Think Tank Airport Essentials backpack which easily contained the 28-45 in lowepro case, 80-160 in lowepro case, 55 in Pentax soft case, the 25 in lowenpro case and the 645Z body.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, both, for your replies.

Suppose I should best rent the lens for a few days rather than take a chance of finding it too heavy to conveniently use.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No matter what you do be prepared for the weight this lens has at 3.25 lbs. It might be best to put some other gear on a scale to see how much they displace to get to 3.25 lbs.

The 35mm at 1.25 lbs, the 55mm at 1 lb and the 75mm at 0.5 lb only add up to 2.75 lbs and still a half pound less than the 28-45 alone.

The only thing about this lens for landscape work is that it does not have a depth of field indicator which comes in very handy and is on 645 prime lenses so I put the camera on maximum depth (DOF Priority Deep) when using this lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I handled a 28-45mm lens--it is a monster, both in size and weight. I don't think it needs any special head or tripod. Now if the only focal lengths you will need are 28-45, then this might be a great lens. If you are thinking of others to go with it, then I might think again. If you are thinking of a light transportable system, there may be better options too. Although, the 25mm is not really lighter, it is a lot smaller, at least in comparison.

You can handhold the Pentax 645 camera very well. The shutter and mirror are very well dampened. "Feeling" vibration does not mean it is transferred to the image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly, I was shocked at first as to the weight of the package, but having a 28-35 (35mm equivalent) lens is very nice for landscape use and I also used it extensively hand held in the Tucson Historico Barrio over 6 hours.

Agree the 28-45 is a hand full, but using it for hours in the field versus handling it are very different things IMHO and after very little use the weight was much less noticeable then when first handled and this is coming from a Leica M shooter who carries around camera with MF grip and lens which weigh less than the lens alone not to mention the 3.5 lb 645Z body.

After 2000+ exposures using the 645Z so far, my results show mirror lock up is the way to go for me. When I travel 8-9 hours with transfers one way on a travel venture, the last thing I want is to get back home and notice unexplained blur in some images. I will gladly error on the side of caution in this case.

As an aside, the 25mm is a whole pound less than the 28-45 and the difference is noticeable while 35/3.5 is 2 lbs lighter than the 28-45 lens. I found the 25mm wonderful to use since I often use an 18mm on my Leica M's when shooting landscape, but it felt less wide than when shooting a Leica M with the 18mm.

Post Thanks / Like

hi all, i am new to 645z. Last week, i got a FA35 and i was so disappointed, it didn't look sharp at all (the other lenses i have are 55/75/90). I did the lens microadjustment and mounted on tripod to shoot with mirror lockup, it was strange that some part of the images were like blurry. I have returned my lens to the shop, but I noticed my friend's FA35 is not sharp too. (he had 2, on 645d and 645z)

My standard of acceptable sharpness is like 55 or 75. While I heard a lot of fellows love FA35, i am curious of the others' lenses quality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhll1ewips...A0333.jpg?dl=0

Here is the link from the FA35 that I have returned, mirror locked up and shoot on live-view, on Gitzo 1228 and markins M10, from my office opened window.No wind, weather wasn't too clear. But my other lenses were def. much sharper.

i will be very glad if you can help me about this. I am unsure of getting another copy and even think to get 33-55 as well. I don't shoot landscape much, but I need a wider lens for my jobs (I do professional fashion photography), however the sharpness from the 35 was much worse then my sigma zoom on 5D even on close to mid distance.

Thanks and have a good day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most users prefer the older 35mm A to the FA version. You might try one, they sell for around $400 USD.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a dfa35mm from japan and it is amazing.
    How are your experiences with the 90mm? I tested it 2 times, no conclusion yet if it's worth to have it over the 75 and 150, which I have both. The focal length would certainly fit in nice, however at a big price. I see contrast is much higher.
    My 150mm is very sharp at f5.6, the 75 at f8, so with available light the 90 would make sense.

few words on the 35mm here:
    http://www.valentino-photography.com...645-13-5-35mm/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I love the FA150 f2.8 for portrait and close up nature work. It presents a very delicate image with a sharp core that has a very definite but pleasing optical signature. It also paints a different picture whether shot wode open, a stop or so closed down or at f8/f11.

The little FA 75mm f2.8 when stopped down is resonably-very sharp, and a great compact walk around lens. Its not my favorite for portrait work but is certainly capable of that task. It does though present a excessive amount of CA under certain conditions and looses sharpness wide open and somewhat at f4.

The 90mm is an extremely razor sharp lens and although can be used for almost anything, it can sometimes be unflattering for certain subjects. I suspect it was first designed as a close up near macro lens, thus it places acuity/shaprness above all else. Its big and heavy and pricy and for all the reasons I mentioned, I prefer the trio of the FA 75, FA 120 and FA 150.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I prefer the 75, 90, 150 lineup augmented by the 55, 35, 25 or 55, 28-45. Different horses for courses.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone share his experience using the new 90mm f2.8 macro ED lens for portraits? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kparseg View Post
    Can anyone share his experience using the new 90mm f2.8 macro ED lens for portraits? Thanks
    I like it a lot. Super sharp.