The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comprehensive Testing: Results & Observations with Pentax 645 Lenses used on the 645D

issa918

Re: Comprehensive Testing: Results & Observations with Pentax 645 Lenses used on the

hi all, i am new to 645z. Last week, i got a FA35 and i was so disappointed, it didn't look sharp at all (the other lenses i have are 55/75/90). I did the lens microadjustment and mounted on tripod to shoot with mirror lockup, it was strange that some part of the images were like blurry. I have returned my lens to the shop, but I noticed my friend's FA35 is not sharp too. (he had 2, on 645d and 645z)

My standard of acceptable sharpness is like 55 or 75. While I heard a lot of fellows love FA35, i am curious of the others' lenses quality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhll1ewipsqjdio/ISSA0333.jpg?dl=0

Here is the link from the FA35 that I have returned, mirror locked up and shoot on live-view, on Gitzo 1228 and markins M10, from my office opened window.No wind, weather wasn't too clear. But my other lenses were def. much sharper.

i will be very glad if you can help me about this. I am unsure of getting another copy and even think to get 33-55 as well. I don't shoot landscape much, but I need a wider lens for my jobs (I do professional fashion photography), however the sharpness from the 35 was much worse then my sigma zoom on 5D even on close to mid distance.

Thanks and have a good day!

tsjanik

Re: Comprehensive Testing: Results & Observations with Pentax 645 Lenses used on the

Most users prefer the older 35mm A to the FA version. You might try one, they sell for around $400 USD.

toni999

I got a dfa35mm from japan and it is amazing.
How are your experiences with the 90mm? I tested it 2 times, no conclusion yet if it's worth to have it over the 75 and 150, which I have both. The focal length would certainly fit in nice, however at a big price. I see contrast is much higher.
My 150mm is very sharp at f5.6, the 75 at f8, so with available light the 90 would make sense.

few words on the 35mm here:
http://www.valentino-photography.com/hd-pentax-d-fa645-13-5-35mm/

D&A

I love the FA150 f2.8 for portrait and close up nature work. It presents a very delicate image with a sharp core that has a very definite but pleasing optical signature. It also paints a different picture whether shot wode open, a stop or so closed down or at f8/f11.

The little FA 75mm f2.8 when stopped down is resonably-very sharp, and a great compact walk around lens. Its not my favorite for portrait work but is certainly capable of that task. It does though present a excessive amount of CA under certain conditions and looses sharpness wide open and somewhat at f4.

The 90mm is an extremely razor sharp lens and although can be used for almost anything, it can sometimes be unflattering for certain subjects. I suspect it was first designed as a close up near macro lens, thus it places acuity/shaprness above all else. Its big and heavy and pricy and for all the reasons I mentioned, I prefer the trio of the FA 75, FA 120 and FA 150.

Dave (D&A)

algrove

I prefer the 75, 90, 150 lineup augmented by the 55, 35, 25 or 55, 28-45. Different horses for courses.

kparseg

Can anyone share his experience using the new 90mm f2.8 macro ED lens for portraits? Thanks ;)