The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Max

micek

Hi -my first post here.

I shoot architecture with an Alpa XY, and use an Alpa TC for more casual stuff. I am thinking of replacing both with an Alpa Max, but I am wondering if the Max is really usable as a hand holdable, tripod-free camera.
Is there anyone here who has switched from the XY to the Max? If so, have you found that the Max is a viable alternative not just to the XY, but to the TC or even the SWA?
Thanks for any input.

E

ericstaud

Hi -my first post here.

I shoot architecture with an Alpa XY, and use an Alpa TC for more casual stuff. I am thinking of replacing both with an Alpa Max, but I am wondering if the Max is really usable as a hand holdable, tripod-free camera.
Is there anyone here who has switched from the XY to the Max? If so, have you found that the Max is a viable alternative not just to the XY, but to the TC or even the SWA?
Thanks for any input.
I think this depends on how much you shoot handheld and in what situations. The 12SWA is a great alternative to the TC because of the integrated handles and the ability to shift. I use the MAX as a tripod camera. For me, it's smaller size and lighter weight is a little easier in the field than the XY. The only thing I miss is the geared horizontal movement on the XY.

My guess is that you might change from the XY to the MAX and then end up keeping the TC for the hand held stuff once you try slinging the MAX around your neck for an afternoon.

micek

Thanks Eric.
Do you find the lack of geared horizontal shift on the Max cumbersome? Is it in your experience a noticeable incovenience, or a reasonable trade-off for the size and weight of the XY?

E

ericstaud

Thanks Eric.
Do you find the lack of geared horizontal shift on the Max cumbersome? Is it in your experience a noticeable incovenience, or a reasonable trade-off for the size and weight of the XY?
I think it's worth the trade-off to have a less expensive, lighter, and smaller camera that also has built in bubble levels.

C

carbonmetrictree

I definitely agree with Eric on this one, too. I decided to go with the 12 Max because of the smaller size. I do find the weight to be a bit heavy to carry around with a neck strap, but it is convenient enough if I am shooting for fun in the city. For more "on the go" type of shooting, the TC is convenient because I can attach the wake on and shutter release grips from the 12 Max. I personally like "building" the TC with the grips, but I would still like to have a 12 SWA in the possible future because of the rise/fall capabilities.

I thought I was set when I got the 12 Max. But man, after seeing Eric's 12 SWA in person with the rosewood grips, I realized there will be no end to the gadgetry!

The MAX can be handheld in a pinch but it is certainly heavier than the SWA. I'm using the SWA for primarily exterior shoots and it's a pleasure to use and carry around on the tripod or off. I'm thinking of taking the handles off of the MAX to save a bit of weight in the case. I wouldn't want to carry the MAX around too much for a handheld shoot. The SWA would be the way to go, or keep the TC since it's super small. The XY is a tank so you'll certainly be happy with the MAX.

I find the zero detent on the rear shift to be too stiff to get out of especially if you need only a mm or 2 shift. It wants to slide back into the detent. They can improve this I'm sure and replace the slider with little effort.

Any way you go with Alpa will be OK.

J

JEM_DTG

Micek,
I would agree with the rest of the posters, the ALPA 12 MAX is somewhat challenging to use handheld, however it will work for limited applications.

Most of my customers own the ALPA 12 XY, have purchased the MAX and not looked back. The XY still has its application, especially when greater, more complex movements are required. But for location work, the ALPA 12 MAX offers an ideal combination of compact size, and proper movement and capabilities.

You would have hard time replacing a TC or and SWA with the ALPA 12 MAX. The ALPA 12 SWA is dream to work with handheld, and offers a bit more secure feeling than the ALPA 12 TC. If you have not had a chance to handle the SWA, you might find it more enjoyable to use for longer, handheld applications than the ALPA 12 TC.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG

Hi -my first post here.

Thanks for any input.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I agree most of the people who I know that have purchased the MAX have either a TC and/or SWA for walk around/hand-held shooting. The weight and ergonomics are just better.

In a pinch sure you can used the MAX, but if you are walking around all day and handling it, it could get tiring.

L