Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best camera bag for medim format cameras

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Best camera bag for medim format cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Do the Flipsides have enough room on their side pockets for something as big as a tech camera (like a Techno - about 8"x 8"x 5" - or more with a DB on it)?
    I can't speak to the Flipside but the Lowepro AW302 Slingshot can take an Alpa STC with back & 4 lenses or easily take a Fuji 617 camera with film and meter etc.

I'm similar to Godfrey when I need to carry my DF I use a Pelican 1510 with Think Tank Ultralight combo if I need only a few lenses. Otherwise, it's the F-Stop bags.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Do the Flipsides have enough room on their side pockets for something as big as a tech camera (like a Techno - about 8"x 8"x 5" - or more with a DB on it)?
    To confuse you more, there are different Lowepro packs using the name "Flipside." I'm only familiar with the newer Flipside "Sport" version, which uses a lighter weight material. The side pouches on the 15L are rather minimal---one side for small accessories, snacks, or the optional water bladder. The other side are dual flaps which you attach the tripod. I don't think a techno would fit comfortably. At least for the 15L size, this is good bag for a minimal setup. The newer 20L might be better for carrying a bit more, but the waist belt is rather nominal, so at least for me, if I'm going to use a bigger bag, I'm going to want better waist support offered by the f-stop packs.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

I had all but given up on photo bags like Shashin. Then I too found the f-stop bags and like them very much. I've said this in other threads: They remind me of the old Dana Design backpacks; not necessarily light but tough and very comfortable.

Here is my stuff in a Loka w/Large ICU. The Loka is smaller than the Tilopa BC.
    (The Disto is out for service)

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When you consider how much bigger the Loka is than my current bag, its weight spec is pretty good. I've got my eye on either the f-stop Loka or Guru, and maybe different ICU configurations for flexibility.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have both the Loka and the Tilopa BC. The Loka is a better size for my stuff, but it is not an all-around fly bag since there is no laptop sleeve, etc. In the field, I think it is the perfect bag for me. I skied 16 miles in Alaska and it was wonderful. My only gripe was the length of my Gitzo 3541xls forced me to take the cube off and store it in the bag. But that is an issue with my tripod choice, not bag choice.

Guy turned me on to the TT Glass Taxi, which all of this stuff fits into in a very small and light package. The only reason I don't use that more is 1) gotta hand carry the tripod, and 2) no waist belt for long hikes. It's really nice and small though for short jaunts near the car.

Oh and if anyone wants my Tilopa BC w/ xl ICU, it's here gathering dust. Used once and no 4 month wait!

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I really should show you guys how I modified an army backpack to become an awesome camera bag by simply pairing it with a camera insert insert. All these for the cost of $50.

Will go take some pictures.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a ThinkTank Street Walker Pro:
    Streetwalker Pro

Holds: (all Alpa)
    MAX - in OpTech soft pouch
    34, 2-17mm T/S and 6mm extensions
    PhaseOne with mount in OpTech soft pouch
    SK 35XL w/OpTech pouch
    SK 80SB w/Optech pouch
    SK 150SB
    50mm SB17 Rodenstock w/OpTech pouch
    Ground Glass finder in old Lee filter pouch
    GG loupe
    LCC plastic
    Old man glasses
    Blow bulb
    3 polarizing filters
    1 ND filter
    Center filter
    Leica Distometer
    EPIRB
    Compass
    Pack rain cover

I added a Steroid Speed belt:
    Steroid Speed Belt V2.0 - M-L
    which really helps with moving the weight to my hips. I have a Skin 50:
    Skin 50 V2.0
    which has all my Lee filters and accessories and can be attached to the belt as well as a water bottle holder.

Best setup I've ever had! Half the weight of my old Hassy pack, fits in overhead compartments (easily!) on flights, great weight distribution, and on and on.

If anyone wants to see an image I can do so on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lowepro 450AW and fit the following in it:

Hasselblad H2 + P45+
    HC 80 f2.8
    HC 150 f3.2
    HC 50-110
    52mm extension tube
    HVM waist level finder
    Lee filter book for 10 filters
    lee wide angle bellows
    lee 105mm cpl
    Lee foundation kit
    3 lee adapter rings
    pocketwizard plus III
    two extra hasselblad batteries
    4 extra phase one batteries
    Canon CH910 charger
    two 7400 mah batteries for long exposures
    15 foot tethering cable
    xrite color checker
    pelican cf card case
    6 cr123a batteries
    business cards

+ my 15 inch macbook pro if needed!

it's a heavy bag when fully loaded, but it stores everything! I use it when I am renting the camera and digital teching it, or traveling with easy access to a car. Backpacking would be brutal with it and I would much prefer my lowepro flipside 300 for that.
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to show my bag because I am a small female that is not exactly athletic anymore. I will be 55 soon and hiking is not my favorite past time these days, but I do go out when I can to shoot in the landscape. Here's a few snaps to show it all, but my tripod.

"Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darr,
    Thanks for sharing! Never heard of Newsware; looks terrific. I love my ThinkTank too (StreetWalker Pro, as previously posted).
    Best,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Darr,
    Thanks for sharing! Never heard of Newsware; looks terrific. I love my ThinkTank too (StreetWalker Pro, as previously posted).
    Best,
    Bob
    Bob,
    You are welcome.
    B&H started carrying the Newswear line recently.
    In the past, you had to order from Newswear directly: Newswear| B&H Photo Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darr

That all looks so clean and tidy . A great solution . It surely fits into any other backpack system . Thanks for showing .
    I use the TAMRAC explorer but am currently not very happy with the its "interior life" , deviders and wraps etc . Its all too cumbersome .
    I have sent you a PM .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Darr

That all looks so clean and tidy . A great solution . It surely fits into any other backpack system . Thanks for showing .
    I use the TAMRAC explorer but am currently not very happy with the its "interior life" , deviders and wraps etc . Its all too cumbersome .
    I have sent you a PM .
    Yes, Jürgen I totally understand your frustration with the "interior life" of most backpacks. I am using the TT Ultralight v2.5 shell and adding six 4 GENESIS normal cases for my (3) Alpa lenses, (1) digital back, (1) for my view finders and (1) for my Hasselblad ground glass + viewfinder contraption. Everything else either rests on top of the Genesis cases or is stowed in the pockets. I needed the lightest solution that could safely carry all my gear. I am 5'3" and not as strong as most male photographers, but the Ultralight v2.5 packed weighing 19lbs is just fine for me to carry for a few miles.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem I have with all this bag talk is that I (we?) need 2 different types of bags: one for getting there - international travel, airport security, bring everything you might need situation, and then... something to walk around with, looking discreet giving easy access to your camera and perhaps a second lens.

You can't wander the city streets trundling a think pack pro wheelie, or for that matter a large hiking backpack bag is slow and impractical for my purposes. Anything you have to put on the ground and unzip is not right for urban use. It needs to be a shoulder sling type (or hybrid of that) which is obviously smaller and more discreet.

Now if only they made a nesting bag-within-a-bag, so you can fly/travel to location destination, zip it open take the shoulder bag out and leave the rest, your wider lens choices, the laptop, etc. safe in its bigger brother.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    The problem I have with all this bag talk is that I (we?) need 2 different types of bags: one for getting there - international travel, airport security, bring everything you might need situation, and then... something to walk around with, looking discreet giving easy access to your camera and perhaps a second lens.

You can't wander the city streets trundling a think pack pro wheelie, or for that matter a large hiking backpack bag is slow and impractical for my purposes. Anything you have to put on the ground and unzip is not right for urban use. It needs to be a shoulder sling type (or hybrid of that) which is obviously smaller and more discreet.

Now if only they made a nesting bag-within-a-bag, so you can fly/travel to location destination, zip it open take the shoulder bag out and leave the rest, your wider lens choices, the laptop, etc. safe in its bigger brother.
    When I have traveled with my gear on airplanes, I have put my MF backpack into a pelican roller case, use an additional Ultralight backpack for my Nikon gear and pocket camera, took the pelican on board as well as the additional Ultralight on my back (with wallet, ticket, passport, etc.) and packed a smaller messenger type bag in my suitcase with my tripod that went into baggage. Once at the hotel, I take what I needed from the backpacks and place in messenger bag for walk arounds.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post

That is exactly what I do. And I have two options. Simply take the belt out of the bag and wear an empty pack and work from the belt or use the lumbar pack I use as a "divider" and leave the pack behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    One of Lowepro recent backpacks lets tech cam people carry a ready to shoot system (or a 20x20x20cm cube). In my case it's a Rm3di with RS40 and Aptus II mounted.

flipside sport 15l

TT glass taxi was the obvious option till now, but I much prefer the body-sided access / flipside concept thing on this bag.
    Built quality looks ok to me, and the padding is thick enough I don't suffer when hiking with the stuffs for a whole day. However the belt is a joke IMHO, will see if I can fit my TT belt instead.
    Also I can't comment on the tripod system yet, not sure I'll try to attach the TVC33 to this...

Will make some pics if someone wants to see what it looks like.
    here it is, with the tech cam and the usual bits.
    and yes, that awful thing is a custom foam padding

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just setting up to do some scanning today and noticed there were new comments on this thread.

The film I'm scanning today was made with both the Hasselblad 500CM and SWC on two different occasions. In both cases, I took the camera, a meter, film and some other bits out for a walk using the Lowepro Passport Sling bag. It has proved to be a comfortable and convenient walkabout bag for this gear, and packs down quite small for travel when I stuff it into my rollaway with whatever other kit I need to carry.

On to scanning. ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

I use a sexy WotanCraft camera bag. The Thor line is big enough for anything including a Leica S2. Although made of very very premium leather, the bag is heavy. So compounded with media format gear it'll be even heavier. but looks bad ***.

They make a canvas version of the bag which is both cheaper and lighter. Both are water proof

Thor | Wotancraft Atelier

Post Thanks / Like

Billinghaam 555, English classic, great style, lots of room, also for a PC:
    Billingham 555 Shoulder Bag BI 504101 B&H Photo Video
    - ErlingMM

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Think Tank AirStream Roller Bag. It takes my H4D, a 50-110 lens, 300mm lens, 150mm lens, 1.7x extender, some extra batteries and a few other smaller things.

It's small enough not to attract attention when boarding any plane, but carries the above, which weighs about 15kg.

Excellent bag.

Post Thanks / Like

As promissed some pictures from the "Koenig Photobag". The insert are custom made for virtual no extra charge. Water resist to 1m deep (yes deep) without any additional covers.

Removable supporting frame (without supporting frame it fits exact international air hand luggage)

Holds:
    Hasselblad 503 CW + 50 + 120 +180 + PME and sunshade
    Xpan + 45mm
    Horseman SW-D II Pro + P45+ + 35mm Rodi + 4 Battery
    Lee Filter Kit for B60, B70 & Rodi
    10x Rolls 120 film
    8x Rolls 135 film
    lightmeter and a lot of small parts like additional screws, tissues etc ..

After my vacation i will share some experience with this bag. But for now a perfectly satisfied with this one.

Best Regards
    Pascal
    visit me at www.kabraxis.de or http://www.flickr.com/photos/kabraxis/
    My ebay stuff
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As the original question was about a bag for a Hasselblad 500 for travel, then providing one is prepared to travel light, a Hassy 500/200 with the 80mm lens, lenshood and magazine attached, fits nicely in a Billigham Hadley bag, even the small variety, if memory serves me well. In there, it can be carried on the shoulder without breaking one's back and is immediately ready for action. Any extra lenses can go in a rucksack in Tamrac zipped lens pouches. As for rucksack, I've just ordered a Rivendell Mariposa Deluxe in preparation for my upcoming hiking/rafting/offroading/music festival trip in Bosnia a Serbia. This is how I will carry my S2 outfit, plus any other stuff I'll need for typical day trips. I've given up on photo rucksacks as they usually have too much padding and as a result I can hardly fit anything else in them, beyond the photo stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up for the Fstop Loka. Its smaller overall than one might think, but holds a good LF camera and lenses. Main features usually discussed are its removable inside "ICU" packs (which you replace for each setup), but a recent 2 wk trip showed other benefits: the alum frame setup and waist strapping is really well thought through, no lower back pain from carrying 20+ lbs. Even got by Ryanair without a problem, has room for slipping in a computer when packing full.

A very secure and well considered pack: when you hang it from the tripod, the bag naturally hangs at a backward tilt, so when opened, nothing falls out. Highly recommended. Thanks to Dave Chew for his help.

Post Thanks / Like

The best bag is any bag that is F***ing waterproof!!! I was shooting on Malibu beach two weeks ago with my Hassy H4X, 35-90 and IQ140, backup HD, etc. We had to go through a mini cave as the tide came in and I got sucked into the water and got completely covered. I was almost in tears. I got to the other side and dried off the outside, help my breath and opened the backpack. Luckily, the Swiss Army backpack I had all my gear in was waterproof!!! There was almost no water inside at all. All the gear was completely dry. I put a inch think foam pad in the bottom for protection and there was a tiny bit of water under that. I can't believe I never thought to have it in a waterproof bag. I just got really lucky that the bag I had was. I do have it fully insured, but who wants to make that call... Anyway, I hope this helps someone else avoid disaster! I have to give a big shout out to Dan Stone for helping me out with the shoot and getting the backpack to safety! If you're looking for an assistant in LA, he's your guy!

Here's a pic from the shoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JoshMerwin, which model of Swiss Army backpack?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    It's this one. I should say that it's probably not technically "water proof." But definitely saved me and it's an all around great backpack.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Lowepro Flipside Sport 20L and it is awesome. (I use it for my Arca Rm3Di/IQ160/40mm HR-W rig all set up and the 70mm HR-W lens + filter pouches and other small accessories). It is a far departure from the heavy and cumbersome Lowepro photo backpacks. This pack is light but protects the gear perfectly and carries comfortably even in hot weather. The interior padding pulls out and becomes a quasi tote bag that can be itself used inside another backpack or hung from a tripod hook to work off of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinktank Airport National holds plenty, and it's very easily configured for any format camera.
    E.C.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kabraxis View Post
    As promissed some pictures from the "Koenig Photobag". The insert are custom made for virtual no extra charge. Water resist to 1m deep (yes deep) without any additional covers.

Removable supporting frame (without supporting frame it fits exact international air hand luggage)

Holds:
    Xpan + 45mm
    10x Rolls 120 film
    8x Rolls 135 film

After my vacation i will share some experience with this bag. But for now a perfectly satisfied with this one.

Best Regards
    Pascal
    This bag really good , the design very practical , but unluckily, its website is german in language( I do not know german) & no buying method, I live in Hong Kong but no one knows this brand, my first time of recognised this brand is in a rolleiflex website . Where can buy one ??

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, being true to my natural self, it didn't take long for me to break down and place my order for an F-stop Loka pack, and two small Pro ICUs for my technical camera gear. The two small ICU inserts are the same as one large Pro ICU, but with two units, it gives the flexibility to pack more or less as needed, butwithout filling up the entire Loka as one large Pro ICU does.

I ordered the Loka this morning and will have my pack a mere few days.

I'll keep the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L for my short quick excursions (I think the newly released 20L is probably a better size!) but am looking forward to the F-stop Loka as a much better pack overall.

I'll try and post photos and a comparison of both bags packed later. I've got a small photo excursion coming up and this is good timing for the new F-stop Loka to arrive just in time!

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my current bag setup. I've been using a Gura Gear Bataflae 26L. Not the most comfortable for long hikes, but fits in airline overhead (and under seat if needed) just fine. I'm happy with it. In the picture I've got my H4D-40 + RRS L-plate, 35-90, D800e + grip + L-plate, 24-70, Kinesis bag for filters, batteries, charger, other filters, lens hoods, cleaning stuff, memory card pouch, etc etc etc. Even though it does not have a laptop pouch, I was able to put a 15" MBPr in an incase sleeve in there with charger as well. Whole setup weighs 32lbs (according to luggage scale at check in).

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Ok, being true to my natural self, it didn't take long for me to break down and place my order for an F-stop Loka pack, and two small Pro ICUs for my technical camera gear. The two small ICU inserts are the same as one large Pro ICU, but with two units, it gives the flexibility to pack more or less as needed, butwithout filling up the entire Loka as one large Pro ICU does.

I ordered the Loka this morning and will have my pack a mere few days.
    As with the CUBE, resistance is futile and you'll eventually see the light and end up with an F-Stop bag.

My Tilopa is simply the best bag that I've ever owned bar none. The fact that you really can't over pack them to prevent stowage in even a US commuter jet overhead bin is precious. (Although ironically the feeble overheads in a United 747 upstairs in intl business-first class are too small - go figure, worse than a domestic hopper! regular cabin downstairs in coach & business can probably hold FOUR!)

It will take a lot of weight comfortably though especially with always using the lumber belt. Not a lot, A LOT!

One thing I'd recommend is removing the unnecessary foam pad on the ICU zip covers. Once in the bag you'll never zip them either and the back pad of the bag is more than sufficient.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Holds:
    Xpan + 45mm
    10x Rolls 120 film
    8x Rolls 135 film

Best Regards
    Pascal
    Hi , I contacted Koenig Photobag via their website email as well as via separate email via Yahoo but without reply ; Are they do not accept internet order ? Are you just buy your bag at your local camera shop??

Post Thanks / Like

I am loving the LowePro Flipside Sport 20L.

My Arca Rm3Di fits perfectly with lens and back mounted + I can fit extra lens, batteries, filters and adapters no prob + extra stuff.

I recently travelled with it and it fit perfectly under the seat of a commuter airplane, a Saab 340. This plane has almost no overhead bin space. My bag fit perfectly under the seat WITH the Gitzo traveller tripod attached to the side of the bag!

see photos:

Post Thanks / Like

side view

Post Thanks / Like

I think your 20L Lowepro Flipside Sport is the better size---it wasn't available when I got my 15L---which still works out pretty well for my Cambo, but having just a smidge more room like the 20L would be perfect. The F-stop Loka is definitely the best camera backpack I've ever seen/used. Both bags cover all usage needs pretty well! Both have reservoirs for a water bladder. The F-stop Loka has more room for clothing, gear, etc. Two small pro ICU inserts allow me to pull one unit if I want more pack space.
    Last edited by kdphotography; 1st August 2013 at 10:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    I am loving the LowePro Flipside Sport 20L.

My Arca Rm3Di fits perfectly with lens and back mounted + I can fit extra lens, batteries, filters and adapters no prob + extra stuff.
    Ken, could you please show us how you manage to fit the rm3d with back and lens mounted ?
    I have the 15L and according to the specs it's 2inch/5cm deeper than the 20L, which I find surprising.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    Ken, could you please show us how you manage to fit the rm3d with back and lens mounted ?
    I have the 15L and according to the specs it's 2inch/5cm deeper than the 20L, which I find surprising.
    Thanks.
    Yea, I can take and post an image tonight. IIRC the 15L is as deep as the 20L, not on specs but in reality. I had doubts so I ordered both the 15L and the 20L.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rollei6008i View Post
    Hi , I contacted Koenig Photobag via their website email as well as via separate email via Yahoo but without reply ; Are they do not accept internet order ? Are you just buy your bag at your local camera shop??
    You can of course order via Internet. But they are only a few people, maybe they are on vacation. I placed my order with telephone/internet. You may take your phone and ask, it is the best way to get fast response. Don´t worry Mr. König is a very nice Guy. It always was a pleasure to work the inlay out.

Best Regards
    Pascal

Post Thanks / Like

You can of course order via Internet. But they are only a few people, maybe they are on vacation. I placed my order with telephone/internet. You may take your phone and ask, it is the best way to get fast response. Don´t worry Mr. König is a very nice Guy. It always was a pleasure to work the inlay out.

Best Regards
    Pascal
    Ok, I'll contact him again .

Post Thanks / Like

Slow day and I thought I give an unused Pelicase 1520 some attention. Going to try this layout tomorrow!

It weighs 9kg so it is not that light...but it is a great feeling that it is totally dustproof since I go on dry mountainroads.

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Slow day and I thought I give an unused Pelicase 1520 some attention. Going to try this layout tomorrow!

It weighs 9kg so it is not that light...but it is a great feeling that it is totally dustproof since I go on dry mountainroads.

Dan I bought 2 x Pelican 1560's over the holidays (Amazon sale). One I use for putting my ThinkTank Streetwalker Hard Drive into. This holds my MF kit-Max, 80/50/32/150/extension tubes/batteries/cable/laptop/MFDB/knicknacks. When going on car trips I move the empty Pelican into the car and lock it closed with a bike locking cable attached, the other end of the bike cable is locked to the cargo rings attached to the trunk of the car/suv (I've also used the child car seat attachment). Keeps dust out AND allows me to put it on my back for shorter walks (without the Pelican-pack only of course).

At home the Pelican is locked with the bike cable looped around a piece of furniture. I do the same thing for my L kit plus there is room for other stuff with this kit (filters, belts, night photo stuff).

I bought these primarily to reduce the likely hood of theft, but they keep dust out too. One thing to remember is to pop the top open when the equipment is just lying around between outings, or to get a large packet of silicon to absorb moisture. Pelicans are not only dust proof, they are air tight...

Bob
    www.rgaphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, nice idea to be able to lock the whole case in the car, but I think I would still be nervous about leaving my kit in the car. Not that I've been unlucky or that it is particular dangerous where I live, but I never leave it out of sight.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Bob, nice idea to be able to lock the whole case in the car, but I think I would still be nervous about leaving my kit in the car. Not that I've been unlucky or that it is particular dangerous where I live, but I never leave it out of sight.
    Completely understand. I just have two kits, so must usually leave one in the car. And both come inside with me at night if I'm staying somewhere.

I also have a cover I pull over everything as well as blankets to cover stuff. At any rate if someone breaks in, they aren't going to have an easy time of it as the car alarm blasts! Insurance has just become too expensive these days so any risk reduction procedures help.

Your procedure of never leaving it unattended is the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 for the F-Stop range.

I tend to hand carry my XL Pro ICU onto the plane and put the actual bag in a duffle and check it into the hold. Occasionally I might have to pay a small amount for a second checked bag but better that than the risk of having to put the whole thing into the hold. It also doesn't attract attention at check-in or the hostile stares that a big rucksack can attract from fellow passenegrs.

I do wish they would sort out their supply chain and/or UK distribution. For my last purchase in December I had to buy from Germany and as far as I know that product is still not available from the UK dealer whose main business is outdoor clothing.

I also use the Gura Gear Bataflae 18L into which I can fit a Phase back, XF, 35mm LS, 80mmLS, 150mmPhase, 240mmLS and 2x Teleconverter when travelling with my wife on 'non-photgraphy' trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Morning

I also use F-stop, a Loka UL with 2 small pro ICU's stacked inside, it works really nicely.

I had a very poor experience with Gura Gear, I had a Bataflae and the zips wore out on the bottom corners quite quickly making the zips stick, the radius just seemed too tight. I offered to send it back to them to check it out but they said no, they would just replace it because it wasn't very old, then they just didn't bother! I emailed after a month and was told they would sort it, then after another month they just didn't reply. It's only my experience but that's not what I expect at all, had the F-stop around a year now and it is still in perfect condition. I travel quite a lot but tend to use the Ando 18 for plane journeys, can get loads inside plus a laptop and it is much less conspicuous.

Bags seem to be as much of an addiction as camera gear!

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

I use f-stop too. I need to carry my gear for hiking, and the problem with most camera backpacks in my experience is that the ergonomics is poor for carrying when you're at 10+ kgs. Here in Sweden/Norway we have a very strong hiking tradition with a number of local brands making backpacks especially for hiking in various conditions (not for carrying cameras though) and those backpacks are just so much better to carry.

F-stop is the one that has come closest to a decent carrying system, and I like the ICU concept. I have the complete gear in one X-tra large F-stop ICU. I had to custom-make the separators as my view camera gear did not match the bundled separators which of course are designed for 135 gear. When I go for longer hikes so I need full camping gear in addition to the camera gear I don't use the F-stop backpack but instead put the ICU in a big military backpack designed for carrying lots of gear.

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my MF camera I searched around for an alternative to my Brady bag which I'd previously used for 35mm.

The outcome was two Ortlieb bags. The Dayshot

Which is a great backpack with the option of using it from a single strap. Also the Softshot, which is very useful for carry on and as a day bag:

Neither is perfect - they don't hold a laptop for instance, but both are waterproof to 1 metre for 30 minutes. Very comforting when you and your bag are copping waves and spray
    Last edited by Pelorus; 9th March 2016 at 12:28.