The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best camera bag for medim format cameras

kdphotography

One of Lowepro recent backpacks lets tech cam people carry a ready to shoot system (or a 20x20x20cm cube). In my case it's a Rm3di with RS40 and Aptus II mounted.

flipside sport 15l

TT glass taxi was the obvious option till now, but I much prefer the body-sided access / flipside concept thing on this bag.
Built quality looks ok to me, and the padding is thick enough I don't suffer when hiking with the stuffs for a whole day. However the belt is a joke IMHO, will see if I can fit my TT belt instead.
Also I can't comment on the tripod system yet, not sure I'll try to attach the TVC33 to this...

Will make some pics if someone wants to see what it looks like.
I've been using the new Lowepro Flipside sport for awhile now with a small kit. Cambo, HR40, IQ180. Okay to fit a lens or two more. Bag is really lightweight and good for light hikes. It's nice to go from a 50lb pack (DF system and lenses) down to 15lbs with the tech cam. I never like Lowepro bags because of their weight---horrible. The Flipside Sport changed my mind.

For more gear or longer excursions, f-stop gear is on my shopping list.....

:) ken

johnnygoesdigital

Think Tank is my choice. If you don't want to look like a sherpa, try the the "street walker" from TT. I load my Hasselblad H2 w/80mm at the top and film mags, lens and other essentials for an incredibly light, walk around that's also good for hiking.

Stan ROX

Thinktank Airport International.

Fits a H4D, a Nikon D800E and all the lenses you may need for a reasonable shooting trip.

Bonus: is allowed as cabin luggage AND comes as a trolley.

Shashin

I prefer actual hiking gear to the photo offerings. I just updated my bag to an Osprey Farpoint 40 internal frame pack. It is airline compatible and the straps and waist belt can be zipped away.

The suspension system is one of the best I have had on a pack. It also has plenty of space for other "luxuries" like food and a coat, etc. I really hate the padded divider system in photo bags as well as the infinite number of pockets designed for all kinds of small stuff I never carry--they add too much weight and volume to a bag without making it better.

My lenses are stored in the Tink tank belt system in the bottom of the bag (35mm, 120mm, and 300mm lenses plus an empty pouch for the 55mm on the camera and a pouch for small stuff like batteries and filters). The lens pouches are the padding and I can wear the belt when working. The cameras, a Pentax 645D and RX1, are in the padded insert at the top (I also have a Mountainsmith Tour lumbar pack the same size which I can substitute if I know I am going to a place where I will want a smaller bag and not carry this). There is a small pocket at the top front panel and the panel opens up to carry a bunch of other stuff--I organize in my own bags. Two outside mesh pockets and compression straps are also on the front panel. A should strap can also be attached and it has two carrying handles--one on the top and one on the side.

For water protection, it is as simple as a rain cover on the outside and a garbage bag on the inside. Unlike many modern back packs which are tear-drop shaped or rounded, this bag is fairly rectangular and so camera gear packs in very well.

alajuela

I've been using the new Lowepro Flipside sport for awhile now with a small kit. Cambo, HR40, IQ180. Okay to fit a lens or two more. Bag is really lightweight and good for light hikes. It's nice to go from a 50lb pack (DF system and lenses) down to 15lbs with the tech cam. I never like Lowepro bags because of their weight---horrible. The Flipside Sport changed my mind.

For more gear or longer excursions, f-stop gear is on my shopping list.....

:) ken
Hi Ken
Do u shot your Cambo handheld?
Thanks
Phil

kdphotography

Hi Phil,

I don't shoot handheld with my Cambo. I think if I wanted to shoot handheld with a tech camera, I'd have to get an Alpa TC---not a good proposition for me! ;)

Right now the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L works really well. (I note there is now a slightly larger version available too). The MFDB is left attached on the Cambo; I use a Optech lens hood for added protection on the IQ180 (nice tip Graham!). I hand carry a RRS TVC-24 tripod. If longer than a mile, then I'll attach the tripod to the backpack, and use a 1 liter platypus in the pack's water bladder side pocket.

ken

alajuela

Hi Phil,

I don't shoot handheld with my Cambo. I think if I wanted to shoot handheld with a tech camera, I'd have to get an Alpa TC---not a good proposition for me! ;)

Right now the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L works really well. (I note there is now a slightly larger version available too). The MFDB is left attached on the Cambo; I use a Optech lens hood for added protection on the IQ180 (nice tip Graham!). I hand carry a RRS TVC-24 tripod. If longer than a mile, then I'll attach the tripod to the backpack, and use a 1 liter platypus in the pack's water bladder side pocket.

ken
Thanks Ken

I have found the Cambo hard to hand hold, so now I feel "normal" - I also like the Lowepros - got the flipside - older model - and like the ThinkTanks. Some how don't have enough bags :eek: wait I mean I have too many.
I think you live in a nice part of the country, where hiking is an option. That's really great.
Best
Phil

Kabraxis

There is a wonderful photo bag from a german manufacture in southern germany near Stuttgart. Water resist up to 1m deep (yes deep) without any rain cover. Custom made insinde for every bag without extra charge. But it is not very cheap. Actual i'am purchasing one for my technical camera + Hasselblad 503CW + XPan.

Here are more informations:
Koenig Photobags | König Photorucksack - ein zuverlässiger und flexibler Begleiter für Ihre Fotoexkursionen (only german)

When i revive i will make a quick review.

best regards

Geoff

Do the Flipsides have enough room on their side pockets for something as big as a tech camera (like a Techno - about 8"x 8"x 5" - or more with a DB on it)?

Godfrey

Let's face it. Bag makers don't really think about us medium format users when designing their bags.

That said, anybody with a nice bag to recommend for Hasselblad 500 series user who plans to travel overseas for shoots?
My Hasselblad kit is too heavy for me to want to sling the whole thing on back or shoulder. What I use to travel with it is a Pelican 1510 roller case, which is sized to fit in overhead compartments on most airlines. It fits my full Hassy kit - SWC, 500CM + 2 lenses, three backs, filters and other accessories. Very protective and does double duty as a luggage trolley. (I bought the Pelican back when I had my first Hasselblad kit, and am very happy I didn't sell it off.)

For a shooting bag on walks, I usually carry one camera, and one or two backs, a few rolls of film. I've found the Lowepro Passport Sling works extremely well for this use, and can expand when unzipped to fit a second lens and more stuff when needed.

(If I'm going far enough and want to have the whole kit with me, I just use the Pelican roller case and save my back and shoulders.)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Do the Flipsides have enough room on their side pockets for something as big as a tech camera (like a Techno - about 8"x 8"x 5" - or more with a DB on it)?
I can't speak to the Flipside but the Lowepro AW302 Slingshot can take an Alpa STC with back & 4 lenses or easily take a Fuji 617 camera with film and meter etc.

I'm similar to Godfrey when I need to carry my DF I use a Pelican 1510 with Think Tank Ultralight combo if I need only a few lenses. Otherwise, it's the F-Stop bags.

kdphotography

To confuse you more, there are different Lowepro packs using the name "Flipside." I'm only familiar with the newer Flipside "Sport" version, which uses a lighter weight material. The side pouches on the 15L are rather minimal---one side for small accessories, snacks, or the optional water bladder. The other side are dual flaps which you attach the tripod. I don't think a techno would fit comfortably. At least for the 15L size, this is good bag for a minimal setup. The newer 20L might be better for carrying a bit more, but the waist belt is rather nominal, so at least for me, if I'm going to use a bigger bag, I'm going to want better waist support offered by the f-stop packs.

ken

dchew

I had all but given up on photo bags like Shashin. Then I too found the f-stop bags and like them very much. I've said this in other threads: They remind me of the old Dana Design backpacks; not necessarily light but tough and very comfortable.

Here is my stuff in a Loka w/Large ICU. The Loka is smaller than the Tilopa BC.
(The Disto is out for service)

kdphotography

When you consider how much bigger the Loka is than my current bag, its weight spec is pretty good. I've got my eye on either the f-stop Loka or Guru, and maybe different ICU configurations for flexibility.

ken

dchew

I actually have both the Loka and the Tilopa BC. The Loka is a better size for my stuff, but it is not an all-around fly bag since there is no laptop sleeve, etc. In the field, I think it is the perfect bag for me. I skied 16 miles in Alaska and it was wonderful. My only gripe was the length of my Gitzo 3541xls forced me to take the cube off and store it in the bag. But that is an issue with my tripod choice, not bag choice. :)

Guy turned me on to the TT Glass Taxi, which all of this stuff fits into in a very small and light package. The only reason I don't use that more is 1) gotta hand carry the tripod, and 2) no waist belt for long hikes. It's really nice and small though for short jaunts near the car.

Oh and if anyone wants my Tilopa BC w/ xl ICU, it's here gathering dust. Used once and no 4 month wait!

Dave

bythewei

I really should show you guys how I modified an army backpack to become an awesome camera bag by simply pairing it with a camera insert insert. All these for the cost of $50.

Will go take some pictures.

rga

I use a ThinkTank Street Walker Pro:
Streetwalker Pro

Holds: (all Alpa)
MAX - in OpTech soft pouch
34, 2-17mm T/S and 6mm extensions
PhaseOne with mount in OpTech soft pouch
SK 35XL w/OpTech pouch
SK 80SB w/Optech pouch
SK 150SB
50mm SB17 Rodenstock w/OpTech pouch
Ground Glass finder in old Lee filter pouch
GG loupe
LCC plastic
Old man glasses
Blow bulb
3 polarizing filters
1 ND filter
Center filter
Leica Distometer
EPIRB
Compass
Pack rain cover

I added a Steroid Speed belt:
Steroid Speed Belt V2.0 - M-L
which really helps with moving the weight to my hips. I have a Skin 50:
Skin 50 V2.0
which has all my Lee filters and accessories and can be attached to the belt as well as a water bottle holder.

Best setup I've ever had! Half the weight of my old Hassy pack, fits in overhead compartments (easily!) on flights, great weight distribution, and on and on.

If anyone wants to see an image I can do so on Friday.

Zerimar

I have a lowepro 450AW and fit the following in it:

Hasselblad H2 + P45+
HC 80 f2.8
HC 150 f3.2
HC 50-110
52mm extension tube
HVM waist level finder
Lee filter book for 10 filters
lee wide angle bellows
lee 105mm cpl
Lee foundation kit
3 lee adapter rings
pocketwizard plus III
two extra hasselblad batteries
4 extra phase one batteries
Canon CH910 charger
two 7400 mah batteries for long exposures
15 foot tethering cable
xrite color checker
pelican cf card case
6 cr123a batteries
business cards

+ my 15 inch macbook pro if needed!

it's a heavy bag when fully loaded, but it stores everything! I use it when I am renting the camera and digital teching it, or traveling with easy access to a car. Backpacking would be brutal with it and I would much prefer my lowepro flipside 300 for that.

darr

I wanted to show my bag because I am a small female that is not exactly athletic anymore. I will be 55 soon and hiking is not my favorite past time these days, but I do go out when I can to shoot in the landscape. Here's a few snaps to show it all, but my tripod.

rga

Darr,
Thanks for sharing! Never heard of Newsware; looks terrific. I love my ThinkTank too (StreetWalker Pro, as previously posted).
Best,
Bob