The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best camera bag for medim format cameras

ghoonk

The Tilopa looks pretty good - am going to see if it can fit a H4D-40, 28, 35, 50, 80, 100, 120, 150 lenses, sensor cleaning kit, blower, ImageBank II with FW800 cable, 3 battery grips for the H4D, two speedlights, speedlight grid/reflectors/flags (Rogue Flashbenders), gel pack, filters (67CPL, 77CPL, 77UV, 77VND, 95CPLUWA, 10-stop ND with Lee holder, 150x170 GNDs)

It'd be perfect if I could actually skip the speedlights and shoehorn an Einstein and a Vagabond battery pack into it :p

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I use a Domke J1 and a TT UD60 shoulder bags, and then a TT airport UL for a back-pack style.

Anders_HK

I simply put my Hy6 + AFi-II 12 w/80mm in a Kinesis Multi-Lens pouch that I have had for around 9 years. My only other lens a 50mm FLE fits in it too, but then the 3 spare batteries and chargers go in my pockets or wifes hand bag... The Kinesis rides on my shoulder from an Op-Tech flexing shoulder strap. Light weight and easy to carry.

For times I also carry my 17" MacBook Pro I recent found a Crumpler backpack for 17" notebook and the Kinesis and more fits in it. The Crumpler I found is made plain for carrying a 17"er and more and fits very comfortable.

Above seem to work as a charm. I nowadays like it light. Less gear makes me focus on image :thumbs: + :ROTFL: (also more convenient to carry around...)

Sure if I need to carry more including my tripod at side, it all goes in my Tenba PBP, which they sadly do not make more... it is plain THE BY FAR BEST camera back pack I have ever come across. Mine has been with me WORLDWIDE the last ten years, including across many many places in ASIA and back and fourth to EUROPE multiple times. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Without it I simply would have had to carry less... :( As a very seasoned traveler, had I found ANYTHING at ANY PRICE better than my PBP in last ten years I would have grabbed it, but NADA. Fortunate I found a PBP long after out of stock at an camera shop in Shanghai some five years back, it is my backup soon to be put into business... :) :) :)

Best regards,
Anders

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have 2 Domkes J803 /F803 now retired cant get systems in it. TT UD 60 that I like when I need my laptop. I have a TT smaller Roller for everything. But now down to tech cam either a TT Glass Taxi or a TT retro 10 depending on my mood but now been stolen by my Nikon kit so the 10 really needs to grow into a TT retro 30 for the Nikons. My bags don't like to share at all. Problem is I buy a Retro 30 than I need to buy lens to fill it. Guys rule you must fill your bag with stuff or it is not complete. LOL

What a damn dangerous rule this is. LOL

Confessions of a bag whore.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I should clarify I can get my Arca tech cam and 4 lenses in the Domke J1 shoulder bag. I use TT UD60 for my DF kit plus the laptop, and use the TT Airport UL for when I need to carry a bunch of stuff backpack style.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
GH,

In my UD60 I can get my DF with a lens mounted in the center slot. Then in one side slot the 105-210 or fixed 210 or 300/4 will fit. In the other side slot I can get two shorter lenses like the 55LS and 110LS stacked. I was even able to fit the #1 and #2 extension tubes in a wrap with the 105-210, filters in a case fit in with the lenses in the other side slot. Heck, my bulb blower fit in the slot slid down alongside the 105-210. The front pockets hold all the other stuff like batteries, chargers and cards. The UD60 is deeper and wider than the UD50 and why I went with it. Also, I've never had to open up the expansion zipper either.

ghoonk

That's impressive. Right now, my UD50 holds the rain cover on the far left, MBP charger and a travel adapter, and I try to get the H4D with 80 mounted (is it a bad thing to 'stand' a camera on its lens in a bag?), and I can almost get a 120 macro on the right side.

The front pockets hold my external FW hard disk and a USB card reader.

Looks like I should take a look at the UD60 or UD70 and see if I can stack them up on an Airstream...

Anders_HK

I have a Tenba PBP, and yes, it's HUGE. not sure if it meets international airline carry-on restrictions, but I can fit 7 Hasselblad HC/HCD lenses, a body, HTS, all my filters, cables, external drive, etc and it still has space for more!

There's some new old stock available on eBay now: NEW OLD STOCK GENUINE ORIGINAL TENBA P225 BACK PACK PHOTO CAMERA L16" H21" D7" | eBay

USD250
The old stock looks like the small, PBS (Photo Backpack Small)?? Perhaps the one from the shop in Shanghai that I left there when purchasing my PBP backup (serious) around five years back??? :ROTFL:

Dont worry about airline restrictions. As stated I have travelled worldwide with mine with large Gitzo tripod strapped to its side. They always go in overhead bin although depending on bin I need to detach my Gitzo. :OT:

Years ago (~2002) I posted on Nikonians of camera backpacks, while many
recommended Lowepro and Tamrac, one gentleman recommended the PBP stating he had travelled much with it and it was best piece of camera gear he owned. It is funny, because I can well second that, the PBP is flat the best piece of camera gear I have owned. Comfortable to carry much, and it hold up very well. Mine aint broken yet, althouhgh the rubber on handle split into two pieces... Not that big, about same as a Lowpro pro pack, but better and more comfortable. I have added a Kinesis belt to mine, fits and works as a charm to distribute load.

Best regards,
Anders

bythewei

I have 2 Domkes J803 /F803 now retired cant get systems in it. TT UD 60 that I like when I need my laptop. I have a TT smaller Roller for everything. But now down to tech cam either a TT Glass Taxi or a TT retro 10 depending on my mood but now been stolen by my Nikon kit so the 10 really needs to grow into a TT retro 30 for the Nikons. My bags don't like to share at all. Problem is I buy a Retro 30 than I need to buy lens to fill it. Guys rule you must fill your bag with stuff or it is not complete. LOL

What a damn dangerous rule this is. LOL

Confessions of a bag whore.
Better than wives/girlfriends buying MORE bags to store the SAME stuff.

bythewei

Thanks everyone for your input on the bag options. In the end, I decided to build my own camera bag by customizing an military haversack. Plenty of room for camera stuff as well as clothes.

All these for under 40 USD (not including the insert from my other bag).

Will find a chance to share pictures.

Frederic

One of Lowepro recent backpacks lets tech cam people carry a ready to shoot system (or a 20x20x20cm cube). In my case it's a Rm3di with RS40 and Aptus II mounted.

flipside sport 15l

TT glass taxi was the obvious option till now, but I much prefer the body-sided access / flipside concept thing on this bag.
Built quality looks ok to me, and the padding is thick enough I don't suffer when hiking with the stuffs for a whole day. However the belt is a joke IMHO, will see if I can fit my TT belt instead.
Also I can't comment on the tripod system yet, not sure I'll try to attach the TVC33 to this...

Will make some pics if someone wants to see what it looks like.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I'll add a +1 for the f-stop bags as well. I use the Tilopa with a Large internal camera unit (ICU) to hold my RZ67 kit. With a smaller insert you could pack quite a bit of non-photo gear along as well.

Here's a couple pics of my kit in the bag.

This is my current setup for a Leica S and four lenses. I like the flexibility of the internal camera unit. For air travel I put the ICU in a standard Rimowa rolling polycarbonate carry on bag with room for a laptop, cables, chargers, etc. which I organize in mesh bags. The backpack folds flat and is light so it goes in my one piece of checked luggage along with tripod legs and head and clothing etc. In the car the ICU sits on a seat constrained by a seatbelt. Walking it goes into the backpack which has sufficient structure to distribute the weight well.

Mammy645

Sheldon's picture helped me a lot in my purchase decision, so I thought I'd post my own now. Maybe it helps someone else the same way.

Tilopa BC + X-Large ICU.