The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problem after upgrading IQ to 3.00.19

Dan Santoso

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I upgraded my IQ with the newest firmware and today I had a photoshoot.

I am having a problem that I never experience before.

When you double tap the preview image to get full screen, when you slide the image for preview, sometimes you get half image missing, only the corner of the image shown or even a mirror image of the same image.

Examples:

Have anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks,
Dan

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have not seen that issue with any IQ in our inventory or heard from any customers with that issue.

On any issue like this I'd call your dealer. We (the forum) can certainly help, but half the advice will be well-intended-but-wrong and all the advice will come somewhat piecemail. Working with your dealer by phone (or in person) means you can easily step through a series of troubleshooting steps based on the results of each step.

Here are some of the questions I would think your dealer would want to know the answers to:
Did you follow the instructions to remove the back from the body before updating the firmware? Were there any error messages during the firmware update? Were you running 2.x before the update to 3.x or did you upgrade directly to 3.0 from a lower firmware version? Did it do this right away? Does it do it all the time or just some of the time? Was it like this from immediately after the update or did it only start happening at some point after the update?

If you don't have a dealer you can easily reach on the weekend here are a few troubleshooting steps you might try (listed in no particular order):
- reverting to the previous firmware
- restoring defaults
- reformatting your CF card
- trying a different CF card
- re-installing the firmware
- restarting the back
- trying a different battery*

Since you're the first person to have this issue as far as I know it's hard to say for sure, but my gut feeling is the CF card (compatibility issue or improper formatting) is the most likely culprit. Major improvements were made to the CF read/write in this firmware. But that is just a guess.

In general I don't suggest updating firmware right before a shoot; especially with Phase One I've found very few glitches with firmware updates, but of all the backs out there it's inevitable that there will be at least one - and Moore's law is it will be one that is about to be used in a shoot!

*yes I know this one is a long shot, but then again your problem is not an issue I'm aware of with anyone else, and I'm always willing to accept strange answers to unique problems. For instance if your battery is damaged/deficient/inconsistent it could effect the graphics board under 3.0 firmware but not cause issues in 2.0 firmware. Though to be clear this is one of the least likely explanations I could think of.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
In general I don't suggest updating firmware right before a shoot; especially with Phase One I've found very few glitches with firmware updates, but of all the backs out there it's inevitable that there will be at least one - and Moore's law is it will be one that is about to be used in a shoot!
I think you mean Murphy. Moore's is the one about the exponential increase in computer speed and capacity. ;)

--Matt

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Matt's Law states that if you know two laws named after individuals whose names both start with "M" then you'll mix them up every time.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just a heads up but you need to be sure to check the firmware 3.00.19 supported CF card list as I found a VERY nasty problem with backwards compatibility with at least the Hoodman Professional 300x UDMA 16GB cards. These are $300 premium cards that have been utterly reliable for me with the P series and up until 3.00.19 also with the IQ160. However, if you use these cards, which are not on the latest supported CF card list, you WILL lose the last image in a shoot when you power off the IQ back. Of course, I found this out in the field after filling my normal Lexar 600x 32GB cards (which are on the list) and then using my Hoodmans which I didn't think to test with this firmware since they've always worked fine.

Anyway, here's a video of what you might have happen:

Video of problem with Hoodman RAW:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25328800/IQ160HoodmanRAW16GB.mp4

Video of same procedure with Lexar Pro 600x 32GB:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25328800/IQ160LexarPro32GB.mp4

I had opened a case with Phase One but they need to add this card to their unsupported list since it's somewhat more than just "not supported by default" but actually should be "DO NOT USE" unless there's a firmware fix in the future.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What's new in this firmware. I saw it this morning with the 6.4 download but have yet to look at it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Graham is referring to a problem in the 3.0 firmware. The full version number is 3.00.19.

Indeed, I haven't seen this anywhere else or with other cards regarding the IQ and 3.0 firmware. But it's a good rule of thumb after a firmware update (including Canon/Nikon) to do a quick test specifically for each card you have, or in the very least each TYPE of card you have. Format, take a few shots, review them, bring them onto the computer and make sure they open.

You can skip this (though I still like to take a test run after any firmware update to check for general issues) if you're using cards that are on Phase's specifically tested list. This is one reason why I like buying only SanDisk from the list of supported cards; P1 does their firmware R+D primarily on SanDisk cards (to a lesser extent Lexar cards) and it's thereby extremely rare they have any compatibility issues with SanDisk.

PLEASE let us know if you've had any issues similar to this (though it only counts if you formatted the card in the back prior to using it - otherwise all bets are off). For now this is the only instance I've heard of.

Dan Santoso

The one I had issues was with 32G San Disk Extreme. I had no problem with my Lexar.

In my last 3 shoots I think I encountered the same problem above once. I think it is a bug in the firmware.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Whilst I can't claim to be happy about the fact that a significant $$$ in my CF cards aren't supported I do very much appreciate the responsiveness of Phase One to update their supported (or not) media list. :thumbs: