The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P25+ RAW files: exposure rendering in Capture One Pro vs. some others

Frits

(posted in another MF forum also)

I have been using Capture One Pro for developing the RAW files of my Phase One 25+ back and the results have been excellent.

I took some test shots today which were perfectly exposed on the back's LCD as well as in C1 Pro.
Then I took the RAW files into Adobe Lightroom 4 and also into Photoshop CS 5 (which uses the same camera RAW engine) and to my surprise there was a huge difference, particularly in exposure. Where exposure in C1 was dead-on, it was very much underexposed in Lightroom / CS5 to the point that I needed to increase the exposure tab by some 1.6 stops to get to proper exposure.
I understand that there will be some differences in rendering from one software package to another, but the BIG difference in basic exposure surprised me a lot.

Thoughts, comments?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'd consult with your dealer on such first-time-use questions. It's much faster and requires less back and forth.

But the short answer to this particular question is it's a bug. ACR/LR misread the P25+ raw file and misplace the "0" exposure position. Don't be alarmed; good quality can still be had. Though of course best quality will always be had in Capture One.

Also make sure your P25+ firmware is up to date and if you have especially old firmware (anything older than 484) make sure to consult your dealer on how to do the firmware update - you should not jump from very old firmware to the current firmware.

Frits

I'd consult with your dealer on such first-time-use questions. It's much faster and requires less back and forth.

But the short answer to this particular question is it's a bug. ACR/LR misread the P25+ raw file and misplace the "0" exposure position. Don't be alarmed; good quality can still be had. Though of course best quality will always be had in Capture One.

Also make sure your P25+ firmware is up to date and if you have especially old firmware (anything older than 484) make sure to consult your dealer on how to do the firmware update - you should not jump from very old firmware to the current firmware.
Thanks Doug for your explanation.
I have been using Capture One and intend to continue to do so - I like it a lot and obviously it is best for P1 backs. I was just curious when I opened the files in LR just for fun as I certainly will continue to work my files with Capture One Pro - so no big deal, but nice to know what is going on.
BTW, I do have the latest firmware installed.

FredBGG

Not Available
ACR is very good, if the camera profiles are good. The phase One ACR profiles are crap.

I use capture one for conversion from raw, but then do most of the processing elsewhere.

For example the moire correction in Capture one is really not much more than a chroma blur.
Set it high and you will see color bleeding all over the place.

On another note the p25+ is a very nice back.

Chris Giles

Are there any profiles created, or that can be created for ACR?

I agree with you Fred, they are crap. Today I had to load everything into Capture One to export as Tiffs so I could adjust in Lightroom. I couldn't export as DNG as I'd lose all my settings.

Edit: However Lightroom RC 4.1 (just released) appears better? Can anyone confirm this just in case it's my eyes playing tricks on me?

Last edited: